Broken trunk hinges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken trunk hinges

I just noticed yesterday that both of my trunk hinges are broken. Well, the actual hinge is fine, but the bracket plate that the hinge is attached to is snapped on both the left and right side of the trunk. Not really sure how this happened but I'm trying to figure out my options for repair and wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I figure my options are to replace both hinge assemblies at roughly $120 for both sides, finding a friend with a welder or using something like JB Weld. Either way I go I'm going to remove the assemblies from the bike to do the repair or replacement. Anyone have any ideas or done this in the past?
    Learn to ride your bike so your bike doesn't ride you....

I would not even consider the JB Weld option. I can't really think of another product that I trust less than JB Weld.

I'm sure you could get them welded, but if it were me, I wouls go with new hinges and attempt to find the cause of the failure.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

On the 'old' forum...... I recall seeing more than once, a company that sold a replacement kit and offered much improved strength ! I am sure with some searching there that you could find it. Someone here should be able to point you directly to it.

Here is a set for cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Honda-G...6b6a3c&vxp=mtr
        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Originally posted by jmohme View Post
          I would not even consider the JB Weld option. I can't really think of another product that I trust less than JB Weld.

I'm sure you could get them welded, but if it were me, I wouls go with new hinges and attempt to find the cause of the failure.
          The Jb weld option is what I consider a last resort but I'll use something different that I've used in the past. A lot stronger when I've used it but it aint cheap stuff and I may as well just get the hinges.

Originally posted by Rollin View Post
            On the 'old' forum...... I recall seeing more than once, a company that sold a replacement kit and offered much improved strength ! I am sure with some searching there that you could find it. Someone here should be able to point you directly to it.
            A stronger replacement sounds like the way to go if I can find it, time to start the search.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
              I saw those, the only problem is it looks like they are already broken, maybe not as bad as mine, but I don't want to put something that is broken on the bike to fix these.

Hmmm, for $120 it would be cheaper to by a Harbor Freight welder and repair the ones you have. However, I've had to replace them a couple of times on other's bikes, think one cause of failure is the holddown bolts become loose over time and allows the hinge bracket to flex when cycling the trunk lid. Just a guess, nothing to back my opinion up.

Depending on the age of your bike, as long as it is still under warranty, just let the dealer do it. It won't cost you a dime.

I had one of the hinges break on my 2012. Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the entire hinge assembly in about an hour.

Originally posted by USNRider View Post

A stronger replacement sounds like the way to go if I can find it, time to start the search.
                    Keep us posted as to your final solution.
                    "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of hinges from Wingstuff. Its been a week now and showing "delayed 3-5 days", the last time I got that notice from them I cancelled the order after 3 weeks of waiting with no update even after calling them. We will see how this order goes.

Originally posted by USNRider View Post
                        I bit the bullet and ordered a new set of hinges from Wingstuff. Its been a week now and showing "delayed 3-5 days", the last time I got that notice from them I cancelled the order after 3 weeks of waiting with no update even after calling them. We will see how this order goes.
                        Might as well wait, if you cancel you will still need them.
                        John

Dark Sider 1020
                        Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
                        Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Actually got them in two days ago. Now just gotta find time to do the work.

I never order anything from Wingstuff anymore. delays delays delay's..

I get part here http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...cle/parts.html

Very prompt service and email notification of what they have or are waiting on before they ship the order.

They will even ship what they have via a LIVE chat so you can get started on your bike while you wait for the remainder of the order. No extra shipping costs either.

The best part is their lower prices.

Wingstuff
                            Qty Part Number Description Price Total
                            81130-MCA-000 HINGE, R. TRUNK 61.34 61.34
                            81135-MCA-000 HINGE, L. TRUNK 61.34 61.34
                            SubTotal

Partszilla.
                            Part Name Price Quantity Total
                            Honda 81130-MCA-000 HINGE, R. TRUNK
                            Part# 81130-MCA-000
                            $53.18
                            You Save:
                            $18.98 (26%)
                            $53.18
                            Honda 81135-MCA-000 HINGE, L. TRUNK
                            Part# 81135-MCA-000
                            $53.18
                            You Save:
                            $18.98 (26%)
                            $53.18
                            Subtotal = $106.36
                            ************************************************** *******
                            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Well crap, now I see this. I actually searched my normal places to find the cheapest price on the hinges. Didn't even think of partzilla though.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page