Differences Between 2012 and Newer Goldwings Compared to 2010 and Older??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences Between 2012 and Newer Goldwings Compared to 2010 and Older??

I didn't want a new Goldwing and never had any thought of buying one until my 2010 was in the shop for almost eight weeks and I was wondering if I would ever get it back fully repaired. I was dismayed at what I consider the ugly design and mismatched lines of the saddlebags and rear center section on the 2012 and newer 'Wings when the 2012s were introduced and don't like the black slanted line lower half of the saddlebags either. Some said I would get used to them. I may but still don't like them. When my wife saw the new 'Wing the first comment she made was "the saddlebags and rear are ugly compared to the Yellow one."

However, I've put 4500 miles on my new 2014 since December 2nd with a long road trip out to the west coast and back home including a ride down the Pacific Coast Highway and am very pleased with several minor improvements that I was unaware of until I bought and rode one.

Things I Like:

Honda claims several of them on their website such as improved ride and handling and slightly improved weather protection. I immediately felt the minor but noticeable way the new wing seems to be a bit more willing to lean into a curve and I also sense the slight but perceptible improvement in comfort and ride quality on interstate highways. Expansion strips and similar bumps are absorbed a little better than on my previous 'Wing.

I'm not sure if it is real or simply perceived but my '14 seems to accelerate just a little harder up through the gears and the mufflers emit a little more of a snarl at high rpm. I asked my Goldwing tech about the acceleration and he said others owning new 'Wings had made similar comments to him. He thinks they may have another 10 horsepower.

The OEM gps unit is much improved over the previous one I owned. The steps for programming are a little more intuitive and easier to use. The '14 automatically changes time as the bike crosses time lines whereas the 2010 required the rider to manually select Mountain Standard Time then PST when traveling west from Texas. The graphics are improved and the lane change display is also improved like most Garmin Nuvi units.

I like the audio system much more than I did the 2010 because I can simply open the trunk and plug in a memory stick containing hundreds of songs of the popular music of the '50s and classic country from the '40s, '50s, '60s, and '70s that my wife transferred from her huge record/cd collections.

The clear coated wheels are much easier to clean and are shiny and look good when clean.

Things I Don't Like:

The saddlebags don't match the trunk. Don't like the styling of the rear end center section either.

Don't like the radio control over on the left fairing. The buttons are harder to see and operate by touch without looking away from the road.

The tupperwear is apparently thinner and weaker. I feel it flex and hear it creaking when using a soft cloth and polish to remove bugs on the front plastic. The seams and gaps are not as clean and even as the 2010 either.

I like the Pearl Blue color well enough but the paint is inferior to my 2010. The paint seems softer and is easier to scratch or scuff than the Pearl Yellow 2010.

The fork tube protectors and the trim alongside the lower ends of the fork tubes are chrome plated on the 2010. It's painted silver plastic on the 2014. If I wasn't afraid to take things apart and screw it up I would swap the painted silver for the chrome pieces on my 2010 before I sell it.

I welcome opinions by others particularly those who now own 2012 and newer Goldwings after owning earlier models.
    Harvey Barlow
    Crosby County, TX
    2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
    2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Guess that's why I love everything about my 04...I've never had to compare it to anything and it still runs and looks like new after 165,000 miles.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Here's what Honda has to say about the improved GPS system on the new generation Goldwing:

"Satellite-Linked Navigation System

Our exclusive Honda design and technology gives you the best available fully integrated GPS-based navi system on two wheels, featuring a brighter color LCD screen and step-by-step verbal directions via Gold Wing's sound system. Additional features include a lane guidance feature, junction view and 3-D terrain view. Plus, with TripPlanner.Honda.com, you can plan trip routes on your home computer and upload them into your Gold Wing's navi system."
      Harvey Barlow
      Crosby County, TX

Ride Quality:

"Improved Ride Quality

Suspension settings revised through repeated testing and your feedback are a part of the reason your Gold Wing offers handling that can put many a sportbike to shame. Gold Wings have always offered the best overall handling of any touring machine, but these settings really improve things when you decide to dial it up a notch."
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX

Audio System:

"iPod® Connectivity

It’s easy to connect a compatible Apple® iPod® player or other USB mass storage devices, such as flash drives that contain MP3, WMA6 or AAC music files, and control them through the Gold Wing’s audio controls. The connector is located in the lockable trunk, where devices can be conveniently carried and discreetly stored."

Audio System with Surround Sound

Featuring a surround-sound system that's tuned exclusively for the Gold Wing. When using the speakers (SRS CS Auto*), the audio image is enhanced along with deep low tones, producing a powerful surround sound. When using the headsets (SRS Headphone**), you'll hear a three-dimensional sound field brimming with realistic sound. (SRS CS Auto* and SRS Headphone** are trademarks of SRS Labs, Inc.)†

I don't know if this system is improved over previous years but when compared to a BMW that some are always bragging about it requires nothing to make it work fully and correctly from the factory. BMW's touring bikes require complex additional accessory packages as well as complex and finicky blue tooth equipment to make the system compatible with helmet speakers or ear buds.
          Harvey Barlow
          Crosby County, TX

Traffic and Weather:

"XM® Satellite Radio/Weather/Traffic

Want to listen to the radio you want, no matter where you ride? With our XM-equipped models you get a free 90-day trial subscription included with your XM-equipped Gold Wing. This was the first integrated implementation of Satellite radio on a motorcycle, and still offers the most features, including traffic (XM Nav Traffic) and weather (XM Nav Weather) in addition to regular XM programs. (Separate subscription required after 90-day trial.)"

My 2010 has the traffic and weather feature also - I guess? I never even tried it. When I called to establish an XM account the nice young guy in Manila, Philippines I spoke to discussed the traffic and weather feature and told me it's activated for a free trial period so I tried it on my recent trip. It works great. I think I'll pay for the subscription when the free trial ends.
            Harvey Barlow
            Crosby County, TX

• bikerbillone
              bikerbillone commented
              Editing a comment
              Harvey, pls keep us posted on how difficult it is to deal with XM. I've heard they settled with the government on unfair practices and will clean up their act.

• HBarlow
              HBarlow commented
              Editing a comment
              Bill,

I've never had any complaints about dealing with the XM telemarketers who are located in Manila, Philippines. Having lived in the "PI" for five years back in the early '80s while on active duty I "speak their language" and understand them well.

I've had nothing but excellent service with the XM reps but now that you raised the subject I think I remember being quite annoyed with the children at Sirius back around '06 and '07. Perhaps since the Sirius/XM merger/buy out things have improved.

I usually only speak with them when I purchase a vehicle and subscribe for their service. The rest of the time I allow them to collect the money by billing my credit card. XM/Sirius are expert at collecting money so they always get that right.

"Improved Wind and Weather Protection

The 2015 Gold Wing’s layered-surface bodywork does more than just look great. It offers superior wind and weather protection around your lower legs, so you’ll experience less buffeting and warmer legs on those cool days."
            Harvey Barlow
            Crosby County, TX

Storage Capacity:

" Outstanding Storage Capacity

With a total capacity luggage capacity of over 150 liters--including trunk and fairing pockets—the Gold Wing lets you carry plenty of gear for you and your passenger, keep it secure and out of the weather, and helps you stay organized in the process."

I still think the bags are ugly but they are longer so it's easier to put my Honda fitted saddlebag liners inside the bags when stuffed with clothing.
              Harvey Barlow
              Crosby County, TX

Clear Coated Wheels:

Clear-Coated Wheels

Wheels that are clear coated from the factory give you an improved appearance and are easier to clean."

I definitely appreciate this feature.
                Harvey Barlow
                Crosby County, TX

I cut and pasted all of the above statements from the Honda Powersports website: http://powersports.honda.com/2015/go...novations.aspx

I don't sell Goldwings and don't own stock in Honda corporation but I am definitely biased in favor of Honda products and the Goldwing in particular. I have read thousands of comments and complaints about Goldwings since I bought one in January 2011. I think most of us including myself take the greatness of the original Goldwing 1800 for granted. It is in my opinion an absolutely outstanding touring machine right off the dealer's showroom floor.

No, it still doesn't have (or need) a six speed transmission or an instantaneous fuel mileage read out or several other items many have suggested or requested but it is still the best overall touring motorcycle manufactured. I wanted to highlight some of the great features and improvements that Honda has slowly and quietly integrated into the new generation of Goldwings.

Others are, of course, free to disagree.
                  Harvey Barlow
                  Crosby County, TX

My 2010 clock changes itself when I cross time zones. Mine is one of the last 2010's though, so there may be some shared features.
                    It's also an airbag so it has the relocated radio. That may be a factor too.

• HBarlow
                      HBarlow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I had never thought about it but I think the digital clock on my '10 changes time zones automatically also.

It's the built-in gps that doesn't. The OEM gps unit requires manually jumping through all the hoops to change the time zone each time I cross another time zone demarcation.

Harvey, well written info, and I appreciate the update info, as I am considering getting a '15 Wing myself. Now, what to do with this '13 F6B

This is the kind of info that needs to be shared, read, and taken in......and not simply taken for granted.

Again, thanks Harvey.

• HBarlow
                      HBarlow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. I encourage you to do it. I don't think you can go wrong with a new '15. I believe you'll love it.

Yes, selling a late model bike in this lousy economy may be tough but fortunately my wife, cognizant of my advanced age, frequently tells me "you better enjoy it while you can." I'm sure you're a lot younger than I am but it was not long ago that I was much younger than I am also. The time passes.

I encourage you to call and talk to the internet discounters like Honda of Russellville, AR where I bought mine or one of the others if they don't have the model and color you want. They will treat you right with a deeply discounted price without negotiation or trickery. A fellow named Earl Kirtley was my salesman.

The Lubbock dealer, trying to help me because it took them so long to repair my '10 'Wing, even though it was not their fault, offered to take my Yellow Goldwing to the Dallas regional powersports auction in March for me along with whatever they'll be taking. I'm confident it will sell there although I may not get what I think it's worth.

Ohh well. Everything in life doesn't go the way we'd like for it to go.

I'm enjoying this new '14 and am getting ready to ride over to the next small town to have lunch with a group of old men like myself who all ride motorcycles.

• MMR
                      MMR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Harvey, thanks for the comments and advice. I have owned 3 of the GL1800 Wings, prior to this 2013 F6B, and am very familiar with doing fly-in and ride home deals. I shop at my local dealers, but they know me well enough to know I will not hesitate to fly to Arkansas and buy from Russellville, if I can save a few thousand dollars.

My wife rides her own bikes, so she knows the value of having a good bike. or...the bike that is right...right now.

And yes, you must be older than me, as you have no picture for your Avatar. They must not have had cameras back in those days.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy that 2014 Wing.

Nice write-up(s), Harvey. Very concise and informative.
                    2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
                    2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
                    AMA Life Member 0672853
                    IBA Member 8846 Premier
                    NRA Life Member

I stopped letting XM debit my card. Make them send me a bill. Makes it easier just to say turn it off if they won't get right on price. Funny once you say turn it off the price really starts down. I have even called their bluff a time or two ne let it expire. Then a couple of weeks later I get a good offer. I,hate playing those games, but I will if needed.
                      Harvey, I saw your old bike on Craigslist out of Lubbock. Looks great!

• HBarlow
                        HBarlow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Rick. It is a good one.

I received a call Friday evening from a US Border Patrol agent in McAllen interested in it but unfortunately he decided on an older one for less money.
                    Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page