Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I bought a trailer!!!

Janet and I have been wanting a trailer for a long time to tow behind our 2008 GL1800. So we saw one advertised locally and on Sunday afternoon we fetched it. The trailer hitch will arrive at a friends home tomorrow and Wednesday we will install the hitch. Just in time for the start of our holiday. We leave on Saturday for a +- 10 day trip!

Edwin
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass
    ... it's about learning to dance in the rain."
    CURRENT RIDE: 2008 GL1800 BLACK - NAV, AIRBAG ETC...
    PAST RIDES: 1983 GL1100, 1998 GL1500, 2005 GL1800, 1998 GL1500 LEHMAN TRIKE, 1996 GL1500

Nice, enjoy your trip in NZ, a bit chilly in North America for a 10 day trip, unless it's far south of course.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• ZL1BBO
      ZL1BBO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the comments. Yes the weather is great here at the moment and hope it stays that way for our trip!

Nice trailer! I will be riding the South island next month. Can't wait.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• ZL1BBO
      ZL1BBO commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Pity we can't join you on the South Island. You will be riding there before we do. I have been in NZ now for 6 years and have not yet been on the South Island.

Edwin - all I can say is that it's very easy to forget that you have a trailer on the back of this bike...and some of the worst places to lose sight of it is when in close proximity to vertical objects really close to you (like awning support posts, fuel island curbing, etc.)

Enjoy!
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Great looking trailer! Have a great trip!!
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• ZL1BBO
        ZL1BBO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I am sure we will have a good trip.

Congrats Edwin. It looks very nice.
      Richard
      Darksider #390
      Murgie's FAQ

Congrats on a nice trailer. I pull a Dart trailer, and the wife loves to be able to take every thing she needs. It works for us. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry.

IBA #57814
        SaddleSore 1075 Miles in 24 hours (certified)
        BunBurner 1632 Miles in 36 hours (certified)
        Prowler #81
        Double Darksider # 792
        Alaska 2012 / 2014

Very nice trailer. JMO, I would like to suggest that you get a swivel hitch for the trailer.
          T.A. Jens
          The Pizza Man
          1800 06 White Champion Trike
          2005 Bunkhouse Camper
          2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
          GWRRA Life Member

• ZL1BBO
            ZL1BBO commented
            Editing a comment
            It has a swivel hitch. Thanks for the comments.

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
          Edwin - all I can say is that it's very easy to forget that you have a trailer on the back of this bike...and some of the worst places to lose sight of it is when in close proximity to vertical objects really close to you (like awning support posts, fuel island curbing, etc.)

Enjoy!
          Excellent advice.
          The biggest mistake people make when pulling a trailer is forgetting that it is back there.
          A trailer is a great additions and I would never be without mine, but always keep it in mind that it is going to effect your stopping distances, It can and will effect handling, and hitting a curb at speed can end very badly..
          I am not trying to scare anyone away from pulling a trailer. I have pulled mine continuously for the last 200+ thousand miles. You just need to keep it in your head that it is back there and as always, be aware of your surroundings.

My wife and I will be arriving in Taupo on he 11th and staying with her family their and up at the Mount (Manuganui) . Only ride will be dirt bikes on the farm, however, still fun.
            NZ seems to be popular this time of year.

Rick
            2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
            DS 1126
            15 Tiger 800 XCX
            14 WR250R
            95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

• ZL1BBO
              ZL1BBO commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Rick,

That is great you coming to NZ. We may be in Whakatne by the 10 or 11th of January and then hoping to spend a night in Tauranga to catch up with friends. If you want my mobile contact details send me a PM as we are flexible on our trip starting this coming Saturday. Who knows we may be able to meet us.

what a beautiful trailer, like other have said be careful and you will enjoy many year of fun

Enjoy and be safe out there. We've pulled a trailer for the last 10 years and absolutely love the flexibility it provides.

Originally posted by RaConnol View Post
                My wife and I will be arriving in Taupo on he 11th and staying with her family their and up at the Mount (Manuganui) . Only ride will be dirt bikes on the farm, however, still fun.
                NZ seems to be popular this time of year.

Rick
                ZL1BBO, I will PM you with my email address. I have no idea what our schedule will be, in NZ I am just the Chauffeur and do whatever the Kiwi Princess tells me to do!!!
                However if we can connect I will be happy to spring for Lunch, Beers, whatever!

Rick
                2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
                DS 1126
                15 Tiger 800 XCX
                14 WR250R
                95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page