Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E3 vibration and noisy

I put a set of E3's on about 4000 miles ago. Boy are these things starting to get noisy, especially when in a sweeping turn like an on ramp. Also, I have been chasing a vibration since I put them on. It seems to me that I am getting a lot of vibration out of the front. There is no lumps in the tire or anything, the pressure is correct, the worst part is I replaced lumpy ME880's which had no noise or vibration what gives? Also FWIW I took the weights off the wheels and went to dyna beads in an attempt to solve the vibration, no improvement. The bike is a 2006 with PMT's and a full custom Race Tech rear shock and all balls stem bearings. The hardest thing to figure out was why no vibration and noise with the lumpy tires I took off.
    Progressive Monotubes
    All Balls
    Race Tech G3S Custom shock
    Dunlop E3 front
    Yokohama Envigor 195-55-16 rear Darkside #1591

What pressures are you running? My first sets did the same, but I raised my pressures and the last 15 sets have worn much more evenly.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by jmohme View Post
      What pressures are you running? My first sets did the same, but I raised my pressures and the last 15 sets have worn much more evenly.
      I am running 40 in the front and 42 in the rear. I can't see any uneven wear and they don't feel lumpy at all.
      Progressive Monotubes
      All Balls
      Dunlop E3 front

That is odd. Usually, at least vibrations are from cupping or uneven wear. Noise could be from the tread pattern. I don't notice noise on mine, but my hearing may is not the best so you may hear things that I can not.
        Have you checked your front wheel bearings?

That is odd. Usually, at least vibrations are from cupping or uneven wear. Noise could be from the tread pattern. I don't notice noise on mine, but my hearing may is not the best so you may hear things that I can not.
          Have you checked your front wheel bearings?
          Haven't checked the bearings yet other than a quick check when the front forks were off for the PMT's. Vibration started just after I put the E3's on. I immediately took the weights off and put in dyna beads figuring that was the issue....no help. Vibration isn't noticeable until about 75mph or so and gets progressively worse the faster you go. I am getting ready to move and been packing so I haven't dug in real hard to check the bearings.
          Progressive Monotubes
          All Balls
          Dunlop E3 front

Basil Faulty, when you say Dyna Beads...do you mean the ceramic balancing beads that a lot of us use ? Hopefully you are not referring to the Centramatic Wheel Balancers.

And...PMT...what is that an abbreviation for?

Just for the heck of it...please...check the rear tire, while on the center stand, and rotate it by hand, and make sure the bead of the tire has fully seated all the way around. When I say...fully seated....that means it has an even run-out around the full circle of the tire, and the place where the rubber tire actually touches the wheel...it is an even roun-out. I have seen numerous tires where the tire POPS to seat the tire, and the installer "thinks" the tire has been fully seated. But on very careful inspection, you can see that the tire is still not fully popped out to where the sidewall has an even run-out all the way around the sidewall bead...on BOTH sides.

This would cause the FRONT tire to shake, shimmy, wobble.

Basil, it seems you have checked many of the things most would check so I have a couple of questions (with comments).

While you were making the changeover to new E3s, did you have the front brake rotors off for any reason? If so, did you put them back onto their correct side (they are marked)? A few have reported a vibration when the rotors where installed on the wrong side. The rotors are not indexed so you don't have to worry about lining up two marks or anything like that.

When you reinstalled the front tire did you bounce the front end as indicated in the service manual? I normally don't do that step but I know many good wrenches who do.

After all that you have done, and if the steps above were done as well, I would suspect a bad tire. The problem is that you don't know what tire it is if it has no visual impairments. FWFW, I had a vibration that I would have sworn was coming from the front and turned out to be a bad rear (E3).

Good luck.
              Richard
              Darksider #390
              Murgie's FAQ

I have never had any luck with E3s never got much more then 7000 miles out of them. I am a darksider so i believe that was my problem finely switched to a BT45 got about 6000 on it and it still looks brand new. No more E3s here :deadhorse:
                2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by MMR View Post
                  Basil Faulty, when you say Dyna Beads...do you mean the ceramic balancing beads that a lot of us use ? Hopefully you are not referring to the Centramatic Wheel Balancers.

And...PMT...what is that an abbreviation for?

Just for the heck of it...please...check the rear tire, while on the center stand, and rotate it by hand, and make sure the bead of the tire has fully seated all the way around. When I say...fully seated....that means it has an even run-out around the full circle of the tire, and the place where the rubber tire actually touches the wheel...it is an even roun-out. I have seen numerous tires where the tire POPS to seat the tire, and the installer "thinks" the tire has been fully seated. But on very careful inspection, you can see that the tire is still not fully popped out to where the sidewall has an even run-out all the way around the sidewall bead...on BOTH sides.

This would cause the FRONT tire to shake, shimmy, wobble.
                  1. Ceramic balancing beads NOT Centramatic wheel balancers
                  2. PMT = Progressive Mono Tubes
                  3. Have not checked the rear tire other than to put in the beads. I will check it when I get home today.
                  Progressive Monotubes
                  All Balls
                  Dunlop E3 front

Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post
                    Basil, it seems you have checked many of the things most would check so I have a couple of questions (with comments).

While you were making the changeover to new E3s, did you have the front brake rotors off for any reason? If so, did you put them back onto their correct side (they are marked)? A few have reported a vibration when the rotors where installed on the wrong side. The rotors are not indexed so you don't have to worry about lining up two marks or anything like that.

When you reinstalled the front tire did you bounce the front end as indicated in the service manual? I normally don't do that step but I know many good wrenches who do.

After all that you have done, and if the steps above were done as well, I would suspect a bad tire. The problem is that you don't know what tire it is if it has no visual impairments. FWFW, I had a vibration that I would have sworn was coming from the front and turned out to be a bad rear (E3).

Good luck.
                    1. Did not remove the rotors
                    2. Did not bounce the front end after, but I have since had the front end apart to do the bearings and PMT's
                    3. I am going to check the rear
                    Progressive Monotubes
                    All Balls
                    Dunlop E3 front

Originally posted by Basil Faulty View Post

1. Ceramic balancing beads NOT Centramatic wheel balancers
                      2. PMT = Progressive Mono Tubes
                      3. Have not checked the rear tire other than to put in the beads. I will check it when I get home today.
                      Definitely check the rear. I didn't realize that you hadn't yet. The rear, I think is more prone to cupping than the front.

2. Did not bounce the front end after, but I have since had the front end apart to do the bearings and PMT's
                        Basil, are you saying that you replaced the front bearing and installed the PMTs....AFTER replacing the front tire ? Did you ride the bike at all with the new tire on it....BEFORE installing the PMTs ?

Have got 9000 miles on E3s using Dynabeads very smooth but freaken noisy!! Above 60 they get quiet , my rear tire looks great the front is cupping slightly
                          Did the dot on tire get lined up with the valve stem ?

• mongo3TMF
                            mongo3TMF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yea the dot corresponds with the position of the valve stem

Basil, are you saying that you replaced the front bearing and installed the PMTs....AFTER replacing the front tire ? Did you ride the bike at all with the new tire on it....BEFORE installing the PMTs ?
                          I did ride the bike for about 2000 miles before the bearings, PMT's and rear shock. I replaced both tires at the same time,
                          Progressive Monotubes
                          All Balls
                          Dunlop E3 front

Ok so here's the deal. When I got home this evening I checked the back tire and found that it was cupped pretty good. I guess that is the source of the vibration! What gives? Why would a rear tire cup like that? Only 4000 miles on it. I called the place where I bought the tire and since I have road hazard etc. they are going to swap it out for me. Only thing that sucks is now I guess I am getting another E3. I am searching now for an inexpensive take off rim so I can go darkside and have my spare M/C tire sitting here for inspection purposes etc.
                            Progressive Monotubes
                            All Balls
                            Dunlop E3 front

Ok so here's the deal. When I got home this evening I checked the back tire and found that it was cupped pretty good. I guess that is the source of the vibration! What gives? Why would a rear tire cup like that? Only 4000 miles on it. I called the place where I bought the tire and since I have road hazard etc. they are going to swap it out for me. Only thing that sucks is now I guess I am getting another E3. I am searching now for an inexpensive take off rim so I can go darkside and have my spare M/C tire sitting here for inspection purposes etc.
                              One thing for sure...you won't have any rear tire cupping after that. And I believe it will also help stabilize the front end.
                              Richard
                              Darksider #390
                              Murgie's FAQ

Check the accuracy of your gauge. My first E3's cupped until I got my pressures right. I run 42psi checked at 70 degrees before riding. and have had even wear ever since.

Check the accuracy of your gauge. My first E3's cupped until I got my pressures right. I run 42psi checked at 70 degrees before riding. and have had even wear ever since.
                                  I have to agree with that....as I used to run Dunlop E-3s for many years, and many miles, and I never once had a rear tire cup on me. I was a test rider for Dunlop during all of 2003, rode over 100K miles that year, going through 10 sets of Dunlop tires, as testing. That is when we finally settled on the pressures needing to be...40 psi in the front, and 41-42 psi in the rear tire.

After that year of testing, I could consistently get 18K to 20K out of a set of tires...all because of correct tire pressures.

Hondas' recommended tire pressures are STILL wrong.

I have to agree with that....as I used to run Dunlop E-3s for many years, and many miles, and I never once had a rear tire cup on me. I was a test rider for Dunlop during all of 2003, rode over 100K miles that year, going through 10 sets of Dunlop tires, as testing. That is when we finally settled on the pressures needing to be...40 psi in the front, and 41-42 psi in the rear tire.

After that year of testing, I could consistently get 18K to 20K out of a set of tires...all because of correct tire pressures.

Hondas' recommended tire pressures are STILL wrong.
                                    OK, here's the thing with that. 42psi on who's gauge? You can check tire pressure with 5 different gauges and get 4 different results. Especially when we are talking differences of 1 or 2psi. My gauge might say 41 and yours may say 40...am I underinflated then? Why do they have to be SO critical on pressures? I check fairly regularly and if they are within 1 or 2 on my gauge I am happy with that. If I check and adjust my pressure today and it is 32 degrees and then tomorrow a heat spell comes through and it is 70 degrees do I need to let some air out because now I am over inflated? Why are today's tire so pressure sensitive? I have been riding for 30+ years and remember checking tire pressure once or twice a year and I never had uneven wear or cupping. Is it because of the weight of the bike? This tire is 2 months old with around 4000 miles on it....just seems a tad ridiculous to me.
                                    Progressive Monotubes
                                    All Balls
                                    Dunlop E3 front

Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post

One thing for sure...you won't have any rear tire cupping after that. And I believe it will also help stabilize the front end.
                                      I've been looking at the darkside information for quite a while now, I was going to do it when I bought the E3's but the bike was still new to me and I was just getting used to the bike itself without worrying about tire handling issues. Now that I have the suspension sorted out I want to give it a try. I need an extra wheel to do it though as I am moving to MD soon and they are pretty anal with inspections there and I assume they would take issue with the CT on the bike. I mean the MD inspection folks use a micrometer to measure rotor thickness and check for play in the swingarm, they even take the bike for a short ride. I can only imagine the guy saying he wont test ride because of the CT. I just have to decide which CT to try. I ride 2 up 90% of the time with 50% slab and 50% twisties or country roads, only ride the slab to get to the twisties unless on a long trip. I usually ride 200-300 miles at a time unless I am on a long trip. I am a spirited rider but not as spirited as some of the guys out there. I try to not scrape the pegs although I sometimes still do. Sometimes I accelerate fairly hard out of a corner if I am in the mood for that and the other riders I am with are riding that hard but it isn't the norm. There is just too much info out there to nail down the final decision. I wish I knew some guys near me that ran a CT where I could try it out for a few miles!
                                      Progressive Monotubes
                                      All Balls
                                      Dunlop E3 front

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page