Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber grommets

As part of winter Maintance I think it's time to replace all of my rubber grommets. I'm curious where is the best place to get these?

This seems like a decent price and it is one of our sponsors.
    http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/grommets/745
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I will agree with the sponsor that TravelinLite has suggested, as that is a good price for those. You will probably need several packs of them. But....why are you replacing the rubber grommets ? What YEAR is your bike ? And how many MILES are on your bike ?

In all my years and miles of riding Wings, I have never replaced those rubber grommets as simply part of the Winter maintenance routine. If I have one or two that get damaged, or lost over time, I will replace them, but that has been...one or two...ever...over a lot of years and miles. I think the (secret) is that I use Silglide on all the rubber grommets, so they stay soft, and allow the plastic tangs to slide in easier.

As long as the grommets are not dried out or cracked, I see no need to replace them all. Just replace any missing ones and be done with it.

Originally posted by MMR View Post
          I will agree with the sponsor that TravelinLite has suggested, as that is a good price for those. You will probably need several packs of them. But....why are you replacing the rubber grommets ? What YEAR is your bike ? And how many MILES are on your bike ?

In all my years and miles of riding Wings, I have never replaced those rubber grommets as simply part of the Winter maintenance routine. If I have one or two that get damaged, or lost over time, I will replace them, but that has been...one or two...ever...over a lot of years and miles. I think the (secret) is that I use Silglide on all the rubber grommets, so they stay soft, and allow the plastic tangs to slide in easier.
          and the most important thing that MMR forgot is .. "what color is your bike" ??
          it makes a big difference. Everyone knows "certain" colors go faster causing the grommets to dry out quicker !
          FYI .. I have replaced mine twice on my '08 .. when doing so I hold them in place by tying them with the smallest electrical tie I can find (they're about 4" long and 1/8th of an inch wide (.. ABOUT ..). THEN, I grease them up with Vaseline and they last a long, long time ..

Happy Trails ..............
          just my $.02
          Watertown, CT .. Hiddenite, NC

My bike is an 03 and color is Silver. Its not the fastest color but it works for me. I actually don't need to replace all the grommets. I have one missing and I have one that is kind of mangled up. It was like that when I purchased the bike. So I want to replace it. I just ordered 3 packages of the grommets. Ill just hang on to them just in case I lose one again. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm kind of new to this wing. Learning as I go.

See, I was thinking....that a 2003 bike with 380,000 miles on it might have more of a need to replace the rubber grommets than say...a 2012 bike with only 50,000 miles on it.
              While only a few people think that the color of the bike makes a difference in replacing the grommets (yes, I know it was a joke), I do have to say that you do indeed have the fastest color that was available in 2003, the Stream Silver (metallic silver). But, I suppose it depends on how you ride that Stream Silver bike...like a slowly rolling quiet Stream that trickles down the valley, or...like a roaring mountain stream that is so raucous that the salmon have to fight to make it up stream to breed.

, sorry, no bozo(ing) here.

Ledawg, what you finally revealed is the same plan that most of us do....to have some extra rubber grommets on hand, and "if" and "when" there is a need to replace one or two of them, you have them available.

Now, get out there and learn to ride that Stream Silver 2003 bike PHAST.

Nice tip on the SilGlide- I'll try it

I was thinking it was like the Coors silver train that serves up a iced beer as it goes by!

You guys crack me up. I love this forum. A lot of good guys.

I recommend getting a set of the grommets listed above or perhaps two. I carry a few grommets because on trips I have lost/mangled one or two when checking fluids. Had the side cover (over oil cap) drop off exiting a freeway. Lucky for me a friend was behind and he stopped and blocked cars from mashing it. I hopped off and grabbed it and threw it into my trunk. No damage at all, but when I had time to look at it I found one grommet gone and one mangled. Not sure when the one disappeared but I probably mangled the other when checking oil prior to trip. Yes I intend to be more careful but will continue to carry spares!!! And i like the lube idea as well.
                      Glenn

2005 Honda Goldwing 30th Anniversary
                      2012 Honda Silver Wing
                      1974 Honda Trail 90

Couple of small drops of super glue on the back, silicone grease on the front.
                        Black 2008 Goldwing Level 4
                        Northern Kentucky

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        Working...
                        X