Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPMS question...

I purchased a new tire and rim from a 2014 bike. Tire and rim has 1 mile on them. They were dealer take offs for trike conversion. Tire date code is 3314. When I install these on my 2014 bike, will I need to do anything to get my bike to recognize the new tire/rim?

Mopar's Wing
    2014 Level 3 Blacked out Blue
    Heli bars, Muth mirrors, Kuryakyn floorboards and LEDs, Corbin saddle
    Anderson SC

Yes, it will need to be registered to the bike. Anytime you switch a sensor, you have to reregister both of them. Tools for that purpose can be purchased on line for about $100. I use this one (ATEQ VT15):

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• mopar
      mopar commented
      Editing a comment
      Purchased one today. $110 from Tire Rack.com

When you install the New tire (use the tool) above and you will need to reg both tires starting with the front then the rear- Unless you add a Car tire then you would do the rear first (low air pressure) then the front.
    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Does anyone know how much the dealer gets to register the TPMS? Can it be disabled? Is the tool something that an automotive shop would have?

Mopar's Wing
      2014 Level 3 Blacked out Blue
      Heli bars, Muth mirrors, Kuryakyn floorboards and LEDs, Corbin saddle
      Anderson SC

My shop Chargers 1/2 hour labour or $60 - It can be disabled - The tool for the Honda MC would only be used at the Honda shop - No auto dealer would know anything about it for a MC. If you buy the tool using it twice it will pay for it's self.

ANother way to disable it is put a piece of black tape over the TMPS light and ride on - it won't affect the rest of the wing in anyway - just check your air before every ride -just like before
        Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Most shops have a minimum 1 hour charge at whatever their labor rate is. If it were me and I was going to keep a spare mounted, it would be worth the investment to get the tool.
          As far as disabling it, I know it can be done, but I don't understand why anyone would want to. Even the limited TPMS that comes on the Goldwing is an effective safety device.

I took the sensor out of my rear wheel when I was recently mounting a new tire. As soon as I change my front tire, I'll remove the sensor for the front wheel and throw it on the shelf as well. Once I get in to the area to disable the idiot light, I'll do that as well.
            Richard
            Darksider #390
            Murgie's FAQ

Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post
              I took the sensor out of my rear wheel when I was recently mounting a new tire. As soon as I change my front tire, I'll remove the sensor for the front wheel and throw it on the shelf as well. Once I get in to the area to disable the idiot light, I'll do that as well.
              Do you care to explain why?
              It's your ride and you can do as you please, I just do not see a downside to having TPMS. I actually have the OEM and a second one with a digital display.

Right now I do not see the value in the Honda TPMS. It basically provides no (new) information to me. By the time it alerts, I already know I am off on my desired pressure. As a result, I don't wish to hassle with being overly careful not to damage the tire sensors while changing tires.
                Richard
                Darksider #390
                Murgie's FAQ

Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post
                  Right now I do not see the value in the Honda TPMS. It basically provides no (new) information to me. By the time it alerts, I already know I am off on my desired pressure. As a result, I don't wish to hassle with being overly careful not to damage the tire sensors while changing tires.
                  The same could be said about the oil pressure light.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page