door opener

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • door opener

    Has anyone tried using the CB PTT switch for a door opener on the 2014? I don't have a CB and likely never will. Hoping someone smarter than me has figured out how to do it. I did try connecting my opener to the passenger ppt connection. It worked as long as the key was off. But as soon as I turned the key on, the door opened (without hitting the ppt). It didn't like it at all. I had the door doing all kinds of dancing up and down. After I reviewed the electrical schematic I see where the ppt is connected to the audio system. I hoping someone has figured it out.

  • #2
    I avoided messing with the bikes wiring and went this way.
    I've got a Liftmaster Model Garage Door opener with an extra remote.



    So I found the two contacts on the back of the circuit board that if you short across,
    it makes the door open and I soldered two wires to these contacts.



    I found this waterproof momentary contact switch at a local boat supply place.



    I have a center storage box on my 2012 and
    thought I'd mount the opener in there with some velcro
    and just run the wires out to underneath the center shelter top piece with
    the switch on the side of the top shelter piece.
    So this is how I put it together.





    2012 Candy Red Level 1 - Darkside #1071 It's just a Rubber Thang...

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      Looks nice Mr. OkieDoc
      Richard
      Darksider #390
      Murgie's FAQ

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        Many ways to skin the cat I installed this with the GL1800 Harness -flash the high beams and i'm in :toast:

        http://www.electricalconnection.com/...age-opener.htm
        Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce


        IBA # 40576

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          Like just mentioned above, flash2pass makes a solution that installs in less than an hour.

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            I have found that this is by far the easiest solution to a garage door opener.

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • hparsons
              hparsons commented
              Editing a comment
              I posted the same video without realizing you had already done it.

              This is probably the best automatic garage door opener I've seen. Maybe if I was on a BMW instead of the "old man" Goldwing, I could get a similar model, ya think?

          • #7
            Nothing against you guys that are more electronically able than I, or that have more money; but after considering several of the gadget options out there, I finally just velcroed the door opener on the inside of the left pocket. I flip it open and hit the button with no problems.
            2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper



            Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #8
              I have had the Flash To Pass for a few years now. Works great, inexpensive, and easy to install.

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #9
                Originally posted by hparsons View Post
                Nothing against you guys that are more electronically able than I, or that have more money; but after considering several of the gadget options out there, I finally just velcroed the door opener on the inside of the left pocket. I flip it open and hit the button with no problems.
                I do something similar and just as simple. I keep my garage door remote in the right fairing pocket. I just pop the pocket door open with the key knob that I made and push the button on the remote. Absolutely NO added expense OR wiring.

                Nothing against those who go for more elaborate and costly solutions, but I believe in the "keep it simple" motto.

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #10
                  yep that works great for me also.
                  Recently moved to TN my native state, Feels good to be back home.

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                    I have found that this is by far the easiest solution to a garage door opener.

                    I have tried that one myself, but the onlyvthing my horn button seems to activate is my wife's middle finger.

                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by OkieDoc View Post
                      I avoided messing with the bikes wiring and went this way.
                      I've got a Liftmaster Model Garage Door opener with an extra remote.



                      So I found the two contacts on the back of the circuit board that if you short across,
                      it makes the door open and I soldered two wires to these contacts.



                      I found this waterproof momentary contact switch at a local boat supply place.



                      I have a center storage box on my 2012 and
                      thought I'd mount the opener in there with some velcro
                      and just run the wires out to underneath the center shelter top piece with
                      the switch on the side of the top shelter piece.
                      So this is how I put it together.





                      Very nicely done!

                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                      • #13
                        I have a extra one in my left fairing pocket. Easy to use for opening the garage door and it's out sight.
                        T.A. Jens
                        The Pizza Man
                        1800 06 White Champion Trike
                        2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                        2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                        GWRRA Life Member

                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                        • #14
                          I have two opener Buttons on one remote and it lays right there in the LH Pocket til its needed..... 1 - Gate 1 - Door
                          Retired, Lifetime NRA, IBA #5831, AMA Lifer, HOG Lifer, Gypsy Tour Rider

                          "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

                          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                          • #15
                            I've been keeping my remote in the left pocket also but I'm looking for a way to activate the door without taking my hand off the grip. Flash to pass may be the way I'll have to go. Being a cheap a&&, I was trying to come up with a way to use the remote I already have.

                            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                            • #16
                              I also have my remote in my left pocket would love to solder it to a button some were or even to my CB control buttons. But my soldering skills just aren't up to it, tried many times just something i can't a hang of.
                              2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

                              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                              • #17
                                I followed a route very similar to okiedoc. I also used a weatherproof momentary switch, but I put my remote in a plastic bag and secured it above the air take on the right side, and installed my switch on the right side panel where some will put a volt meter. It is out of my way, yet still has easy access. I put in a fresh battery, which is now 2 years old and heading to my next Wing. My remote uses a 12 volt battery, and I am giving consideration to wiring it to the Wings electrical system, so I can literally forget about it until I want to use it.

                                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                • #18
                                  Any late model 2002 & above -Junk Auto parts -you can use the (homelink) buttons from the Donor car and mount it on the bike - all you need is to add power to the switch
                                  Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce


                                  IBA # 40576

                                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                  • #19
                                    So, am I missing something? On your garage door remote, You soldered on 2 wires, attached it to button switch. Ummmmm, why not just just the remote and press its button?
                                    Life is all about decisions. I decided for Jesus Christ.
                                    04 All White
                                    Mich Alpin PA3
                                    Darkside #956

                                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                    • #20
                                      Originally posted by Papa smurf2 View Post
                                      So, am I missing something? On your garage door remote, You soldered on 2 wires, attached it to button switch. Ummmmm, why not just just the remote and press its button?
                                      Remote is dry and secure in a locked storage compartment and waterproof switch is flush and easily accesable on the topshelter, was my reason for doing it.
                                      2012 Candy Red Level 1 - Darkside #1071 It's just a Rubber Thang...

                                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                                      Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                                      Related Topics

                                      Collapse

                                      Working...
                                      X