Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst GPS?

Some things work well; some don't. Baker Air wings- great. Wig-Wag brake light flasher- great. LED bulbs in back for greater brightness- great. Sumshade for NAV screen- great. McGuyver bellypan- thankfully u tested so far but Inhave faith! However, the factory installed unit is garbage. I've never seen a worse GPS- even cheapi $100 car units are better than this. Coming down Rt 95 and looking for 495? Don't bother looking at the GPS 'cause it doesn't want to label other roads. Warch the highway signs. Oh, now you're on 495- lots of "495" labels when uou don't need them. Sunscribe to weather from Sirius XM? Don't think you're foing to see approaching rain- unless you stop! I can see not letting you program the GPS while moving for safety, but if you look at a route list or depiction onscreen you can just as safely look for a green blob and mahbe avoid it, or be suited up in raingear. I hate this GPS, and it cost me a lot of $. It also took me a while to realize that most units ask do ydou want "highway" or "scenic"? This one says "avoid" then asks you if you want fastest time or shortest distance. Who is the idiot who thought that up? Next trip I'm bringing my $130 car unit which is easier to use and works better than this one. Does anyone on the forum like their unit and find it useful? Thanks for listening, but it has added frustration toman othehreise nice trip

I like the factory GPS myself. I like that it is integrated with the OEM audio and I don't have to have another gadget hanging off of the handlebars.
    I guess if I were one that wanted to meticulously plan every step of my route in great detail, the OEM navigation would not cut it, but I only need it to get me from point A to point B, and it has always done that for me without fail.

I almost forgot, the weather function worked fine for me, but XM's pricing games led me to dump the service. Now I just use US NEXRAD or Hi-Def Radar apps on my iPhone.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

The 2012 model is much better than the 2007, but still far from what it should be. At least this one is "usable", I never turned my 2007 one on.
      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

That's why I ordered a 06 GW Trike w/o gps. I like my Garmin better.
        T.A. Jens
        The Pizza Man
        1800 06 White Champion Trike
        2005 Bunkhouse Camper
        2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
        GWRRA Life Member

I hate the GPS on my 2012. I have a Garmin Zumo 550 & 665 with lifetime map updates. I made one trip with the built in GPS, then ordered a mount and set it up to use the 665 on the Goldwing. I only use the built in GPS for a rolling map when I'm going somewhere that I already know where I'm going. I like to be able to make changes to a route while moving and easier additions of routes and waypoints.
          Mike Harrison
          '12 Blue GL1800 level 3
          '06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

I do not like my GPS on my 2010 its just a real irritating to use takes a lot time to set up for the money i got robbed. I think i used it three times just a pain in the butt, i use my iPhone much easier at lease for me.
            2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

I used to take my 2720 and use it instead of the wings on my 12. Recently I have stopped as the honda programs the same as the 2720 and I just don't see the need for two. The only thing that bugs me is when I forget to turn it on and I have to stop to get it going. I wish it was more flexible in that regard.

Magellan............It never could take the wobble.........
                2001 Hot Rod Yellow GL1800A

Originally posted by jmohme View Post
                  I like the factory GPS myself. I like that it is integrated with the OEM audio and I don't have to have another gadget hanging off of the handlebars.
                  I guess if I were one that wanted to meticulously plan every step of my route in great detail, the OEM navigation would not cut it, but I only need it to get me from point A to point B, and it has always done that for me without fail.

I almost forgot, the weather function worked fine for me, but XM's pricing games led me to dump the service. Now I just use US NEXRAD or Hi-Def Radar apps on my iPhone.
                  I have also mostly used the "NAV' system as opposed to a GPS. I do not plan every step of my trips and have travelled I do not know how many miles... Tens and tens of thousands of miles. I have never kept track of miles, I did not know until recently you were supposed to. I guess one suggestion with the NAV is READ THE MANUAL. I know, I know... it's a "guy thing". I usually do not even respond the NAV questions anymore because usually if the poster had read the manual, he would not have posted the question. Of course it does not allow uploading routes (at least the early ones), you must remember to turn it on, (but there are a couple fixes for that), and you cannot change things on the run (understandable and not Honda's fault), but for me, at least I have no problem. I'm a big boy and if I get lost that's just part of the adventure. I can say this... a half dozen times or so we ended up in the middle of a large city, and the NAV got us right back on track. Detroit was the last time that happened. The maps are Garmin and if you get the destination and resolution right it will get you there without a hitch. Maybe some of us are too anal? Oh year, I use the weather radio for info. NWS, how can you beat that?
                  2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
                  2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
                  AMA Life Member 0672853
                  IBA Member 8846 Premier
                  NRA Life Member

The new Garmin Zumo 590LM with 2 TPM bundle is amazing! A bit pricey at $860 but much better than previous models (550, 660, & 665).

I married the best GPS in the whole wide world, she tells me where to go on the bike, the car, the truck, when I ask for some tea, supper, lovin etc etc. She knows where to send me every single time!!!!!!
                      """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                      I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

• Old Legend
                        Old Legend commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You have the same GPS set-up I have LOL

Rick I second that, have an excellent one also. And besides if she does make a mistake in routing (only) she apologizes instead of telling me she's recalculating.

John
                      Black 2008 Goldwing Level 4
                      Northern Kentucky

Originally posted by JohnK105 View Post
                        Rick I second that, have an excellent one also. And besides if she does make a mistake in routing (only) she apologizes instead of telling me she's recalculating.

John
                        For grins, I reprogrammed my Zumo so that, instead of "recalculating", it said "That's not the way I told you to go". I thought my wife was going to fall of the bike the first time she heard it.
                        2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Originally posted by hparsons View Post
                          For grins, I reprogrammed my Zumo so that, instead of "recalculating", it said "That's not the way I told you to go". I thought my wife was going to fall of the bike the first time she heard it.
                          Too funny! How were you able to do that?

Originally posted by Gold Winger View Post
                            Too funny! How were you able to do that?
                            When I did it originally, there was a particular file I had to hunt down on the device, and modify; however, now there's a tool you can download that makes it much easier (and includes instructions)

TTSVoiceEditor
                            2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Originally posted by Rick Mays View Post
                              I married the best GPS in the whole wide world, she tells me where to go on the bike, the car, the truck, when I ask for some tea, supper, lovin etc etc. She knows where to send me every single time!!!!!!
                              Yeah Rick, my wife tells me where to go quite often! the old Deacon of Dirt, Charley
                              Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio
                              Member of the Stone Pony's

Originally posted by hparsons View Post

When I did it originally, there was a particular file I had to hunt down on the device, and modify; however, now there's a tool you can download that makes it much easier (and includes instructions)

TTSVoiceEditor
                                Great! Thank you for the link . . . Click image for larger version

Name:	36_1_23[1].gif
Views:	46
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	6563

The NAV has never failed me as a compass! Actually, it has served me well on the routes I take. I have a 2008 that has never been updated and I don't seem to have any problems with "new" roads. On the rare occasion that the NAV and I are both confused, I just plug in my iPhone and listen to the audible directions and use the NAV as a rolling map.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page