2012+ GL1800 GPS Map and Version Update???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012+ GL1800 GPS Map and Version Update???

I've owned my 2012 GL1800 several weeks now, but have had no success in my attempts to determine methods/procedures used in updating the Goldwing Garmin GPS Maps and Version (Firmware). Anyone else in my predicament? Any solutions available? I don't believe I should have to buy a Zumo just so I can kluge up updates. I did go to the Goldwing Garmin site and discussed this issue with Garmin's customer support, but no real value there. I was advised that there was no existing customer support available or planned to provide Goldwing owners updates to this topic. Any ideas?

Same boat with my 2014, its missing lots of roads in my area, no idea how to update it.
    Tony C.
    2014 GL1800 Level 3 Black
    Why Black?
    Cause Everyone Knows the Black Ones Are Faster!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I've had my 2012 since June 2013 and there have been zero updates, I check the site from time to time.
      dB
      2012 Black Airbag -
      MD

For an update to my earlier post, I spoke with one of the Honda USA Goldwing representatives today. He assured me that Garmin was the cause for the delay in release of the map software. He really didn't seem comfortable talking about the firmware update..., like he wasn't even sure what that firmware stuff was? Anyway, we went over to the Garmin/Goldwing site together and I stepped him thru the process to find updates. His first response was that he was sure the 2010 map update would work in my 2012. When I advised him that I was not comfortable purchasing a 2010 map update for my 2012, he seemed to reconsider what he had told me and then advised that I should wait until Garmin posted the 2012 update. He placed me on hold for several minutes, I'm sure to talk with one of his coworkers better versed on the Navi issues, and advised me that Garmin has the Honda approved updates for the 2012 and that they only had to make them available on their site. Soooo, this really seems to be a classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. In a nutshell, no official updates available yet and no real commitment from either Garmin or Honda on when we can expect to see them. Very frustrating stuff!

Note: I have seen the workaround a member of another GL1800 site has used. I just don't think that such a goat rope should be necessary to get improved firmware and current software for our very expensive flagship motorcycles.

• networkguy3
          networkguy3 commented
          Editing a comment
          OEM NAVs are noted for being both expensive and having out of date maps. The problem is not unique to the GoldWing. The problem from my perspective is volume. They don't sell enough of the OEM NAV devices to make it profitable to actively maintain them.

For me using the "Work around" is just fine -I have a Garmin Nuvi portable I use in my old truck that has lifetime maps - I just copy the New Maps to my Pc from the Nuvi and copy them to a spare 4 gig.copy of the GW navi unit insert the 4gig card and have the newest maps works great.
        The GPS firme was updated on the 2014 models to 2.8 - My 2012 had 2.5 version so I found that file on the other site in the GPS 2012 board downloaded it and copied over to the 4 gig card -The 2.8 version cleans up a lot of issue's so get that and your done.

No need to wait for Honda & garmin to get act together.
        Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          @colmike: You guys with the 2nd generation Navi systems don't know half the heartache of those of us with the 1st generation (2006-2009) systems.
          @Westdc: Agree that the work-around is a bit of a kludge, but it's rather easy to have newer maps than what Garmin/Honda can or want to supply.

Originally posted by Westdc View Post
        For me using the "Work around" is just fine -I have a Garmin Nuvi portable I use in my old truck that has lifetime maps - I just copy the New Maps to my Pc from the Nuvi and copy them to a spare 4 gig.copy of the GW navi unit insert the 4gig card and have the newest maps works great.
        The GPS firme was updated on the 2014 models to 2.8 - My 2012 had 2.5 version so I found that file on the other site in the GPS 2012 board downloaded it and copied over to the 4 gig card -The 2.8 version cleans up a lot of issue's so get that and your done.

No need to wait for Honda & garmin to get act together.

Any chance of listing how to do that? I have a nuvi in my van with lifetime maps....
        Tony C.
        2014 GL1800 Level 3 Black
        Why Black?
        Cause Everyone Knows the Black Ones Are Faster!

European firmware (2.90) with the new map of Europe (2015.40) Goldwing 2012-2015. The same firmware is suitable for the American version, with the installation of card America.

Here you go I just ordered the latest 2.90 for the USA

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...rod522387.html

John
            John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

I wonder if/when one will be available for places like Australia?.....

Oh that's right....

"For customers outside of the United States please visit your local Honda Goldwing dealer for updates."
              2014 Candy Prominence GL1800 Luxury, Aust version, 'cause that's where I live.
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHN...Sac2F9pvWh5KtA

• kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                That's probably even more of a reason to sideload the map data into yours...if they're failing to support it there, seems to me that it's in your best interest to do it yourself.

Originally posted by JGDJR View Post
              Here you go I just ordered the latest 2.90 for the USA

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps...rod522387.html

John
              Funny how when you buy a $130 Garmin you get free maps for life, but with the $3,000 option on the Goldwing you have to buy them.
              GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
              Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Anyone Need the 2.9 SYS.bin file - Follow link and download -After Download rename the file to sys.bin on your SD card after copy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxwt6vcmzq...dwing.bin?dl=0

IBA # 40576

I know little to nothing about Nav Systems but why would you need to up-date a 2014 Wing?. Wouldn't it be up to date already? Ride Safe. Doc
                  2014 Hannigan

Originally posted by Doc View Post
                    I know little to nothing about Nav Systems but why would you need to up-date a 2014 Wing?. Wouldn't it be up to date already? Ride Safe. Doc
                    Probably 1.5 years out of date by the time it arrives at a dealer. Early 2014 would be almost 3 years out of date by now. A lotta roads get completed/opened in a 2-3 year timeframe; longer to get updated in the gps databases.
                    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• Doc
                      Doc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the clarification. Ride Safe. Doc

Anyone Need the 2.9 SYS.bin file - Follow link and download -After Download rename the file to sys.bin on your SD card after copy.
                    Do you have a gupdate.gcd (version - 4.80) GoldWing 2006-2008 US (GEN1 NAV) ?

Do you have a gupdate.gcd (version - 2.70) GoldWing 2006-2008 EU (GEN1 NAV) ?

Do you have a sys.bin (new version) GoldWing 2009-2010 US/EU (GEN2 NAV) ?

Please

I bought the Garmin update card. Not really thrilled that Honda doesn't offer lifetime updates for the GL. I figured the bike was built in Nov of 2012 so an update was in order for it. Software version is now 2.90 and map is North America NT 2014.40. Funny that I bought the lifetime upgrade for my Garmin Montana 600 for around $75 with 4 downloads per year. A vehicle costing north of 20 grand gets no such deal. One would think it would be the other way around.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxwt6vcmzq...dwing.bin?dl=0
                        Can anyone upload this SYS file again or a more up to date version ?
                        I own a GL 1800 2012 btw and I can't install NT maps on it because I'm still stuck with a 2.20 firmware.
                        Thanks a lot

Sorry I don't have the file any longer that one was 2.8

IBA # 40576

• SerGoy
                            SerGoy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi,
                            Do you thing is possible to send me the 2.8 Navi Firmware ??? ([email protected])

Originally posted by lollol View Post

Can anyone upload this SYS file again or a more up to date version ?
                          I own a GL 1800 2012 btw and I can't install NT maps on it because I'm still stuck with a 2.20 firmware.
                          Thanks a lot
                          Bump. Someone around here oughtta have it.
                          George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page