Seats, backrests etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seats, backrests etc

I know I am going to want a backrest but unsure which way to go. I am looking toward an Ultimate seat with backrest but it will take me a few months to save up. Is the Ultimate that much better that stock with a backrest? I am in the "king" category at 6'3".
    [COLOR=#252C2F][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]There are after all only two things the government actually does: 1. think up new ways to tax you and 2, spend that very same money in the most inefficient manner possible while skimming the cream off the top.-Brian[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

I am on my second Utopia, and very happy with it. I like the comfort, but most of all, it looks like it was designed to match the Goldwing.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

+1 on the Utopia - good people, good product. I agree; it does look like a factory piece.
      FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
      "06 GL1800 w/Motor Trike conv.
      GWRRA KY - G

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"President John F. Kennedy

So it is worth the wait, then. TY
        [COLOR=#252C2F][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]There are after all only two things the government actually does: 1. think up new ways to tax you and 2, spend that very same money in the most inefficient manner possible while skimming the cream off the top.-Brian[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

+1 on the Utopia. You won't be sorry.

Van

Go along with the rest who have and like the Utopia backrest. A little nerve racking to plunge the knife through the seat, but several good videos online. Saved me from giving up riding as my back is always in pain, but the Utopia helps me ride many miles per day. Good luck on your search but as the others say this IMO is the best for the money.

Crabby Bob

Retired and riding a Goldwing - Life is good!
            2001 Gl1800A - Illusion Red
            DS # 1258 - Double Darkside

If you're happy with the stock seat then yeah the Utopia is great.
              If the stock seat hurts you then you need to look elsewhere.
              I had my stock seat redone by Tom Simmons in Arkansas and it comes with a fantastic back rest. It ain't cheap but we love it!
              2012 Goldwing CSC Viper Trike
              Retired MSF Instructor

I spent a bunch of money on an after market seat only to have to get rid of it because it was worse than stock.
                After that I still wanted more comfort, so I sent mine to Russel Day Long custom seats.
                They have an eight month return and 18 month free adjustments. That takes some of the risk out of it.
                We were able to do 4700 miles in 14 days in comfort on the Day Long.
                These guys know what they are doing.

Another "echo" on how great the UTOPIA backrests are. I just installed my 6th Utopia backrest the other day....took me 21 minutes from beginning to end...and that includes the time to remove the seat, and reinstall the seat (this was on my '05 Helix)...not a Wing. The Utopia backrest is THEE best backrest made...period. On all 4 of my GL-1800 bikes...including my current F6B, I use the Russell Day-Long saddles...with a Utopia backrest.

Originally posted by Hondo View Post
                    I spent a bunch of money on an after market seat only to have to get rid of it because it was worse than stock.
                    After that I still wanted more comfort, so I sent mine to Russel Day Long custom seats.
                    They have an eight month return and 18 month free adjustments. That takes some of the risk out of it.
                    We were able to do 4700 miles in 14 days in comfort on the Day Long.
                    These guys know what they are doing.
                    I find that a bit hard to believe.There's nothing worse than stock IMHO,except maybe a 2 x 4 wrapped in vynal.
                    Chris
                    Darkside # 1602
                    If I knew it would've last this long I would've taken better care of it.

• Hondo
                      Hondo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep, this fairly popular seat did the opposite of what I needed.
                      After an hour I was done. There's a lot of difference as to where each person need's support.
                      That' s why I recommend RDL if you have/want to spend the money.
                      They build it to suit each individual.
                      Being able to stay on the Wing all day takes riding to another level for me.

Shortly after buying my new 06, I decided the seat was not to my liking and my wife complained about her backrest.She said she kept sliding forward.
                    So I ordered the Ultimate Mid Rider and passenger backrest(lets her sit straighter). I never cared for a backrest so I didn't get one.
                    We now can do 500-600 mile days in comfort.
                    T.A. Jens
                    The Pizza Man
                    1800 06 White Champion Trike
                    2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                    2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                    GWRRA Life Member

Originally posted by Pizza Man View Post
                      Shortly after buying my new 06, I decided the seat was not to my liking and my wife complained about her backrest.She said she kept sliding forward.
                      Honda had a major design flaw with the passenger backrest on these GL-1800s. The OEM backrest "may" work for a very few passengers, but the vast majority...93.14159 % to be exact...found that the added foam in the lumbar area caused them to slide forward. Many owners have had that foam shaved down, to allow the passenger to sit up more straight.

Yes, I knew about it before I bought my 06 as we rode a dealer demo trike. I thought we would try it first but with in a month, bought the Ultimate.
                        T.A. Jens
                        The Pizza Man
                        1800 06 White Champion Trike
                        2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                        2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                        GWRRA Life Member

This is my 3rd Wing, and the first thing I always get is an Utopia backrest. Easy to install, looks great, adds loads of comfort for me, and easy to take off to add/remove my sheepskin.
                          Life is all about decisions. I decided for Jesus Christ.
                          04 All White
                          Mich Alpin PA3
                          Darkside #956

Gone Fishn', if you don't have a backrest now and would like to try one, I have one (I believe it's a Markland) that used to be on my bike. It's yours to try and keep if you'd like. Not sure where you live, but if it's worth it to you it's yours for the cost of shipping from 53095. I used that one and a Kuryakyn before going with the RDL seat with built in backrest that I use now. Between the Markland and the Kury, I found the Markland to be more to my liking, as the position adjustment had a wider range.
                            Ron
                            2002 GL1800A Darksider #1312
                            Experience is the hardest teacher because she gives the test first,
                            and the lesson afterward ~ Vernon Sanders Law

• gone fishin'
                              gone fishin' commented
                              Editing a comment
                              While I certainly appreciate your kind gesture, the season for riding is growing short. I was able to sit on a f6b with an ultimate seat and it was pretty darn comfy. I think I am going that route over the winter. Thank you very much, that is pretty darn nice of you.
                              Brian.

I have Ultimate Midrider and i love it, for me it was a great upgrade can ride much further in comfort then i ever did. They have rentals you can try prior to your purchase you would need the king because of your height, they offer a great warranty and are great people to deal with. mine also has a backrest no more hip pains can ride out a full tank of gas. Hope this helps
                            2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

I to really like my Utopia back rest...what a difference it makes...can't go wrong IMO

John
                              John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page