Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Grade 86 88 90

What grade of fuel 86 88 90 are you all using when you travel, If using the higher grade, Does your engine perform better ? Are you getting more miles per gallon ?
    [I][B]Roger[/B][/I]
    2002 GoldWing 1800, VStreem Windshield, HID's, Digital MP3 Player,
    Bull Dog Alarm System, Belly Pan, RAM Cup Camera Garmin holders.

87 octane I believe is what is required. Running high octane does nothing to improve mileage, it merely burns slower to eliminate pre ignition and pinging which is why it is required in high compression engines.
    Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Goodolboy1 View Post
      What grade of fuel 86 88 90 are you all using when you travel, If using the higher grade, Does your engine perform better ? Are you getting more miles per gallon ?
      I'm running 87 and have consistently gotten 40mpg.
      dB
      2012 Black Airbag -
      MD

When traveling, I always use what is available, whatever the octane. Engine good and warmed up, no harm done. The thing only has about 8:1 compression...About the same as a tractor, so I never worry about gasoline. Seems out west is where I usually find the 86 octane.

Oh yeah... My first post!
        2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
        2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
        AMA Life Member 0672853
        IBA Member 8846 Premier
        NRA Life Member

87 Octane is the manufacturer recommendation so I try to follow that. If I am in an area that does not have 87 I try to get the next closest without going below 87. I have not experienced any problems with this.
          Harvey
          Ride Safe and Ride Often

I run 87 because that's all it needs. Anything higher than that is a waste.
            2012 Gold Wing Ultra Blue Level III
            2009 Hayabusa - Texas Mile- 206.1 MPH | Loring- 1 mile 205.49 MPH, 1.5 mile 212.27 MPH (Stock Motor-ECU Editor Tuned by Me)

I run 87 just like in my cars, truck . For my boat, snowmobiles, riding lawn mower and any other small 2 or 4 cycle I have I use 91 octane
              T.A. Jens
              The Pizza Man
              1800 06 White Champion Trike
              2005 Bunkhouse Camper
              2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
              GWRRA Life Member

I use mid grade when possible in traveling. When im home and not riding as much I use non-ethinol. If bike sits too long, the ethinol will separate.

I use 87 where I live, I have used 86 when in high altitudes and that is the Low grade.
                  GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                  Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

87. It's all it needs and I haven't noticed any improved performance or mileage with the higher grades.

have always run 87 Octane in both my 1800's and they have run quite well on it.
                      Life is all about decisions. I decided for Jesus Christ.
                      04 All White
                      Mich Alpin PA3
                      Darkside #956

I use 87 in Oklahoma. In Colorado I use 86 as they reduce octane due to higher octane not being needed at higher altitudes due to less dense air. Never had a problem. I know in the Texas panhandle around Amarillo you find a lot of 86 octane and I have never had a issue with any vehicle I own. You know gas is like beer- you don't buy it -you just rent it for a while.

Originally posted by orangecrate View Post
                          When traveling, I always use what is available, whatever the octane. Engine good and warmed up, no harm done. The thing only has about 8:1 compression...About the same as a tractor, so I never worry about gasoline. Seems out west is where I usually find the 86 octane.

The 86 octane you find out west runs like 87 octane does back east. It really has more to do with the altitude and density of the air than anything else. It is just adjusted for altitude.

Christian Motorcyclists Association, VP Las Vegas Lights Chapter,
                          Iron Butt Association #8565, Volunteer NLVPD Citizen Patrol

My gas mileage decreases when I use 87, so I use 89 normally and a tank of high-test periodically when I go near the Go-Gas in our area for non-ethanol.
                            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

If I read the manual correctly, Honda recommends at least 87 octane. Here in California unleaded regular meets that requirement as does the mid grade and premium. I get around 38 mpg and up when using the 87 octane. I used the ethanol free gas once, it was 93 octane and only got a little over 30 mpg that tank. Went back to the 87 and with each tank it went backup to the 38 mpg make.

Originally posted by orangecrate View Post

It may surprise you to know that your Wing has 9.8 : 1 compression ratio. I use 87 octane and even going over the pass @ 8200 ft. elevation, no detonation is observed. I can't say that with my Harley at 91 octane. My mileage is more related to speed. Keep it under 60 and you will see some great mileage. Hang a slow moving vehicle sign on the back and try it. LOL

Using 87 there to i do get a little better mileage with premium but it's not worth it with the 87 i get 38 to 42 mpg depending on how i ride.
                                  2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Mountains or flat land I run 87. No pings and normally 40-41 mpg..
                                    We as a society will pay a price for allowing our government to control us. That price will be determined not by us but by the these same people that we elected and watched systematically ignore our constitution and destroy our republic.

I used 86 when I was out west, but around here 87 is as low as it goes.
                                      John

Dark Sider 1020
                                      Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
                                      Centramatic Wheel Balancers

87 and pure if it is to be had.
                                        """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                                        I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page