Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff oil leak

Just got back from a 3500 mile trip. Was washing bike and noted some weeping and build up of grunge on the bottom of the rear end. Noted this one time before but did not think anything out ordinary about it. I did change the fluid before I left so hopefully it was left over oil that attracted the grunge. There were no splatters on rear wheel or rim. I am surprised by this, but will keep a eye on it and probably will end up buying at extended warranty. Currently at 25000 miles on the 2012. May look for a trike take off to have on hand.

Or perhaps you over filled? Suggest you clean it and drain and refill and see if it happens again
    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Rick S View Post
      Just got back from a 3500 mile trip. Was washing bike and noted some weeping and build up of grunge on the bottom of the rear end. Noted this one time before but did not think anything out ordinary about it. I did change the fluid before I left so hopefully it was left over oil that attracted the grunge. There were no splatters on rear wheel or rim. I am surprised by this, but will keep a eye on it and probably will end up buying at extended warranty. Currently at 25000 miles on the 2012. May look for a trike take off to have on hand.
      My 2012 had the exact same issue, build up of grunge all around the diff and sometimes an occasional drip on floor. I took it in to the dealer under warranty and the problem was the factory did not use enough sealant on the halves when they put it together. I made an appointment, took it in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. Clean as can be now after a few hundred miles and a couple of months and next week it gets a 2200 mile ride and that will be the real test.
      Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

I have cleaned it. I hope it had some residue on it from the last fluid change. There are days when I wish I had my 1500 back. Never anything to worry about with it. Oh well that ship sailed. I do lie the power and brakes of the 18. Maybe this is just something that will pass.

Quality control in Japan just not as good as it was in Ohio.
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Apparently.

Maybe this is just something that will pass.
              I thought the same thing but believe me, if it does it now it will not go away. It is a simple fix as I mentioned.

Originally posted by Westdc View Post
                Or perhaps you over filled? Suggest you clean it and drain and refill and see if it happens again
                That is very possible.
                Also check the vent.

I thought the proper fill level for the final drive was level with the fill hole. Or in other words, fill it until it runs out. Am I mistaken about this?
                  Richard
                  Darksider #390
                  Murgie's FAQ

That is correct.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

Amen to that brother...you said a mouthful. I could not agree more...........

That is why I live in Ohio. Hehehe....
                        2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
                        2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
                        AMA Life Member 0672853
                        IBA Member 8846 Premier
                        NRA Life Member

Boy, that says a lot!
                          Glad most of mine was made in America!

SBB

Very Glad my 2010 was made in Ohio last of the US made wings. Honda ran into a brick wall moving back to Japan, damage equipment and major mother nature disasters and the nuclear plant problems there factory was very close to all of that.
                            2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
                              Very Glad my 2010 was made in Ohio last of the US made wings. Honda ran into a brick wall moving back to Japan, damage equipment and major mother nature disasters and the nuclear plant problems there factory was very close to all of that.
                              Is that why my bike has a glow about it?

This might be the truth, and would be cool if they would decide to bring operations back on the US.
                                """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                                I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

I agree.
                                  John

Dark Sider 1020
                                  Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
                                  Centramatic Wheel Balancers

From the newer "Made in Japan" bikes I have seen, the fit and finish in not as good as when Made in Ohio
                                    Life is all about decisions. I decided for Jesus Christ.
                                    04 All White
                                    Mich Alpin PA3
                                    Darkside #956

Well, heck just got back from a quick run to Louisiana and I have splatters on my rim from oil. Guess I will take it out there on Tuesday and let them fix it. Warranty you know. It looks like it is from the seam where the case halves mate together. Hopefully a EZ fix.

Well, heck just got back from a quick run to Louisiana and I have splatters on my rim from oil. Guess I will take it out there on Tuesday and let them fix it. Warranty you know. It looks like it is from the seam where the case halves mate together. Hopefully a EZ fix.
                                        That is the same place mine leaked from and it was fixed in one day. It is nice to be able to go for a 2,400 mile ride and have everything clean as a whistle back there.

• Rick S
                                          Rick S commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          I hope so. That where it looks like it is leaking from
                                      Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page