Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broke my antenna!

Coming back from West Virginia we stopped in Tulsa and my CB antenna was laid back at very different angle than the other one. It had starting cracking just above the base. I guess the 75-80 mph with a 20 mph headwind coupled with heavy truck traffic just was too much. Never had this issue with my 96. Temp fix was a corkscrew zip tied to the area where it bent and cracked for support. Looks real bubbiafied but it is still there. Guess I will stop at the honda shop and have them do a warranty claim.

I've snagged mine and bent it a couple of times. I just bent it back, but it has never broken or cracked.
    BTW, the corkscrew fix was a pretty clever idea!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

If it didn't work I could always drink! It appears it was a stress fracture as it was fine this morning at the motel

I have trouble keeping the top of the CB antenna tight. The little set screw loosens up. I finally took a small drop of lock tight and that has seemed to work.
        T.A. Jens
        The Pizza Man
        1800 06 White Champion Trike
        2005 Bunkhouse Camper
        2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
        GWRRA Life Member

Originally posted by Pizza Man View Post
          I have trouble keeping the top of the CB antenna tight. The little set screw loosens up. I finally took a small drop of lock tight and that has seemed to work.
          Locktite can be a risky thing on small screws. At least if you ever intend to get them loose without heating them.
          Next time use clear fingernail polish. It works great on tiny screws and breaks loose easier when the time comes for removal.

Originally posted by Rick S View Post
            Coming back from West Virginia we stopped in Tulsa and my CB antenna was laid back at very different angle than the other one. It had starting cracking just above the base. I guess the 75-80 mph with a 20 mph headwind coupled with heavy truck traffic just was too much. Never had this issue with my 96. Temp fix was a corkscrew zip tied to the area where it bent and cracked for support. Looks real bubbiafied but it is still there. Guess I will stop at the honda shop and have them do a warranty claim.
            So curiosity makes me ask...was the reception any better? Sort of like wrapping tinfoil on the old TV rabbit ears.
            Ron
            2002 GL1800A Darksider #1312
            Experience is the hardest teacher because she gives the test first,
            and the lesson afterward ~ Vernon Sanders Law

The drop I used was very small and so far did the trick. All I could think of is loosing the top part going down the road some day. Would probably have to buy the whole antenna
              T.A. Jens
              The Pizza Man
              1800 06 White Champion Trike
              2005 Bunkhouse Camper
              2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
              GWRRA Life Member

Originally posted by Rick S View Post
                Did you have a flag mounted on the antenna? Broken antennas due to flags are common, especially if the flag is mounted high up on the antenna.
                Jeff, Northwest Indiana
                '19 Wing / Roadsmith HTX1800

I said it was a corkscrew, but it was a small flashlight. It did not make it all the way home today. It departed some where west of Lawton Ok. No flag on it to stree it. I think it was a adding up of high wind-remember I am in Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain- and 75-80 mph speeds for long periods. I have no idea why the photo is sideways.

Better a broke antenna, thana broke dick! I have broken a couple of them, antenna's that is! There not to bad, especially if there under warranty!
                    """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                    I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

I hardly ever listen to my radio, so my antenna doesn't get much use. Looks brand new.

Yes warranty. Has 24000 miles on it. Glad it broke with only 100 miles left in the trip instead of when we first started.

They put new antenna on. That is a good thing. Bad thing is the pin looking thing has moved out of hole and bent the hosing. Jeeze. I was watching them do it and noticed the wrench slipping like it striped it. Did not notice the issue with the pin looking thing. What a deal. Guess I will go back next wek

Originally posted by SteelTraveler View Post
                            I hardly ever listen to my radio, so my antenna doesn't get much use. Looks brand new.
                            That's funny. :D
                            John

Dark Sider 1020
                            Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
                            Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Originally posted by WB-Ron View Post

So curiosity makes me ask...was the reception any better? Sort of like wrapping tinfoil on the old TV rabbit ears.
                              Oh yea, I got all sort of skip on it. Seriously no, but the skip was rolling that day. Heard some guy in Miami FL.

I replaced both of my antennas with Fire Stick II's. It was only $40.00 for the complete mod. I also have a CB antenna for sale if you want to buy it from me.

Originally posted by SMSgt View Post
                                  I replaced both of my antennas with Fire Stick II's. It was only $40.00 for the complete mod. I also have a CB antenna for sale if you want to buy it from me.
                                  I have questions about the Fire Stick ll. When Pete installed my GL2way a couple-three years ago he changed my original Honda antenna to a black FireStick with a CB/AM & FM Splitter. Would this antenna work with the new EVOL CB or do I need another separate antenna? If I read your post right, you have TWO Fire Stick ll's? I don't see a Fire Stick ll listed on Pete's website.

Originally posted by SMSgt View Post
                                    Got photos? Do they still fold?

RickS, was there a rubber gasket beneath the antenna they replaced? If so, do you have it or did they keep it? I am looking for one. Thanks.
                                      Richard
                                      Darksider #390
                                      Murgie's FAQ

No gasket that I saw I can look when I get bike home. Currently at honda hut getting serviced

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page