Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing cover oil leak

Timing cover oil leak......I think??? 2008. Pretty solid leak after warmed up. Noticed the leak on the pavement where I park at work. Got home and parked and it made a little puddle size of a silver dollar. Put it on the jack and pulled the lower cowling. Can’t tell much but not the oil plug or filter. Coming from above that somewhere. Local fellow winger sez probably the timing cover gasket?? Local shop is 4 weeks behind. Arg!! I am soliciting advice. I am not a mechanic by any means! But do turn a wrench, have done my own accessory installations, etc. Should I just assume gasket and remove the timing cover and replace? Is it just that easy? Feedback would be appreciated.

The timing cover uses a gasket (They don't leak unless someone installed it wrong.)

The most common issue is----
    The Clutch slave rod seal is leaking. (Its right above the 17mm oil drain bolt behind the clutch slave cyl).

The slave cyl doesn't have any o-ring or gasket between it and the cover.
    So if the seal leaks? it then drains past the slave,down the front of the engine.

Its number 16 here. https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...smission-cover

Remove both hoses on the cannister.
    Remove the two stay bolts holding the Black cannister.
    Remove the 3 10mm bolts on the slave cyl. (You do not need to touch the Fluid line.)
    Use a small C Clamp to hold the slave piston in the clutch slave. (So it doesn't pop out of the slave)
    Use a small phillips screw driver to pop out the seal that is in the slave piston.
    Install new seal.
    Put back together.
    Wash front of engine down with Brake Clean.
    Run bike for 5-10 minutes.
    Shut down.
    If you can't see any oil dripping anymore?.
    Put it all back together. (Pat yourself on the back)

Front cover. (With slave bolts & Oil drain removed.

Don't touch the Cover bolts!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	tt.jpg Views:	0 Size:	640.3 KB ID:	118984

Back of Slave cyl. (See the oil seal)

Click image for larger version  Name:	uuu.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.3 KB ID:	118985
    Its an easy 1 beer job.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Thank you

Change the gasket as mentioned above and all your problems will go away. Yours is 10 years old they don't last for ever. Ride Safe Ride A-lot

2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
          Change the gasket as mentioned above and all your problems will go away. Yours is 10 years old they don't last for ever. Ride Safe Ride A-lot
          ROTFLMAO> There is no gasket causing the leak.

Its an oil seal. Ya do know the difference right.
          Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
          "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
          Current bikes.
          1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
          1986 GL1200 SEi
          2004 GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page