Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation for right fairing pocket

Iam getting ready for a road trip and did a bunch of maintance. Tires brake pads valve check. I changed coolant and since my fairing pocket is off I want to install insulation to protect my phone. Any suggestions?

A solution here:

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mot...ne-overheating
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment
      Another (cheap, simple, fast) option - buy one of those freezer bags - the one from the grocery store that keeps your cold stuff cold on the way home.

"insulated thermal bag"

"reusable freezer thermal bag"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermal Insulation.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	117489
    **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

It's hard to beat styrofoam for R value. Cut pieces and make an insert you can take out if you want. Velcro a piece to the lid also. If you cut them right friction will hold them in place.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
        It's hard to beat styrofoam for R value. Cut pieces and make an insert you can take out if you want. Velcro a piece to the lid also. If you cut them right friction will hold them in place.
        I assume you mean Extruded Polystyrene Foam (i.e. the pink or blue stuff), not Styrofoam. I cant imagine the mess you'd make with Styrofoam once all those little white balls start coming apart. Plus Extruded Polystyrene Foam has a better R value than Styrofoam.
        Martin

I do. Urethane with the foil wrap would be great also. Some places will sell partial sheets. It would be easier to velcro to the lid also.

Just remember, there's not a lot of room for thick materials on the exterior of the pocket. Thus, the material Rocky is showing is good for the pocket exterior...

...except...

If you have any wireless electronics (e.g. Bluetooth dongle, FM transmitter, etc.) either in or in very close proximity to the pocket and you decide to cover that immediate region with foil, you may very well reduce or eliminate the RF transmission and/or reception capability.

Something to think about...
            Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Bought one of Matts left over hats huh?

I'd like to see someone use a phone while its in the pocket.

https://www.google.com/search?q=list...E3PSPzrWdTGPqM

I did the Rocky upgrades, however I had to install this on my wing to help the Bluetooth and satellite signal!!!

mattbcnv
            "2018 Turd Brown Metallic Sissy Shifter”

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Not surprised at all coming from a foil hat salesman.

Sorry we can't complete the call. Your satellite is "out of orbit!"

Originally posted by Mattbcnv View Post
            https://www.google.com/search?q=list...E3PSPzrWdTGPqM

I did the Rocky upgrades, however I had to install this on my wing to help the Bluetooth and satellite signal!!!

mattbcnv
            You must have my AT&T service....which has a shelf life of only a few more days.
            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Originally posted by laj48 View Post
              Iam getting ready for a road trip and did a bunch of maintance. Tires brake pads valve check. I changed coolant and since my fairing pocket is off I want to install insulation to protect my phone. Any suggestions?

This thread is hilarious,.

The guy NEVER said WHAT he wants to protect his phone from? (We should cane his azz for not using more words!!)

What is he asking for?.
              Remove Heat?
              Stop Vibration?
              avoid Theft?
              etc
              etc.

From first hand experience, My Ipod would overheat. (And lock up)
              I tried a few things, not knowing if it was due to vibration or heat related?

1st up a foam block because the pockets are as you Should know!
              Are a wedge convoluted design. (Not square per say)

My foam block

Name:	image_5824.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	117598

As you can see in that picture. Placing Styrofoam blocks,in that space is going to be a task. (see the lid pic below)

Here is the pocket shape. (Seeing your memory is shot)

Name:	s-l1600f.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	117599Click image for larger version

Name:	Right POcket.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	117600Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16002.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	117601

The Foam kept the Ipod from bouncing in the pocket, but didn't stop it from locking up?

Next up was the Thermal sticky barrier. (After all them pockets sit on top of radiators!)

It's been 8-10 years now, and the Ipod hasn't locked up since the addition or Wrapping the outside of the left pocket in the (Thermal insulation)

Believe it or not (Matt- the foil stops Rap music,from infiltrating my music source-no satellite needed)

While I'm all for new ideas.

I'd like to see what redneck engineering would look like in Styrofoam?
              IF- the OP was trying to keep heat out?,
              NOT in the pocket?

BTW. The ST1800 front center "cubby" will cook the phone too. (read the cases reported by there owners)
              hense why I brought up the thermal insulation.

**You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

I purchased that thermo-tech product Rocky posted, I forgot about thier product line, thanks Rocky. I have used their exhaust wrap product to keep heat in, worked quite well. That heat barrier is super thin but it looks like it should do the trick. I plan to hit the outside lowers on the saddle bags to keep the exhaust heat down a bit.
                kiptap - Paul
                Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
                1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page