Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v socket location

Looking to mount a 12v socket somewhere without taking the whole bike apart

The standard location for a 12V socket is in the left fairing pocket. There's a connector under the pocket that the Honda one plugs right into. You can buy it here or probably at several other places:

http://wingstuff.com/products/64-12v...xt=honda_brand

You will have to remove the left side fairing trim and the pocket but that's a 5 minute job.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Doc832
      Doc832 commented
      Editing a comment
      If that removal is 5 min job to clear the parts out of the way I watched to wrong videos. Any direction would be helpful to get that installed. Bought it a few weeks ago and it is sitting waiting to be installed. Watched the video from Max mcallister and it was pretty involved. Thanks for any help or direction in the future.

• trewm
      trewm commented
      Editing a comment
      Doc832, you have a pre-2018 right? What video did you watch? The 2018 is MUCH more complicated.

If your intent is to power a GPS, radar detector, MP3 player, the one that trewm mentions is what many start out with.

However, if your intent is to (only) recharge a cell phone, they do make those that have a USB output also:

http://wingstuff.com/products/34624-...xt=power_plugs

Good luck!

They also make a plug-n-play extension that will get power over to the right side fairing pocket.

http://wingstuff.com/products/29328-...essory-harness
      '03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
      A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

The stock wiring behind the left pocket is Ignition Key switched. It's only "On" when the Ignition is "On". You can also add a Power Socket in the lid of the Trunk, but that is powered constantly. If using a Cigarette Lighter style power port this may not matter. However, if using an illuminated USB power port, you should be advised to add a switch to any illuminated USB Power Port that is installed in the Trunk Lid. I have both Cigarette Lighter and a Dual USB Power Ports in my left pocket. The picture shows a Bluetooth Receiver and a Ground Loop Isolator as well as my iPhone Charging Cable plugged into the USB Power Ports.

I hooked mine up to the blank panel on the right side since I don't have Nav. I use it mainly for my own Garmin nav. It's direct wired to the battery so I can keep the GPS on when I stop for gas or something.

For the '12 - 16 - start at the 3:32 point of this video.

Originally posted by Dlewis2xs View Post
              Looking to mount a 12v socket somewhere without taking the whole bike apart
              You're kidding right?.

More information on what you are trying to accomplish?.
              would be helpful,if not mandatory.
              You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

• kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, it *might* not be as bad as '18+ is for that some accessory...
            Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page