Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 Brake Pads

Are brake pads hard to change for a Average skilled person who has never done it before?? Any tricks or possible problems to be aware of? I'll be using Honda Pads.

You don't mention - service manual available? Front? Rear? Both?

Ever removed the front wheel of the motorcycle?

A few tricks are located in this thread...

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mot...ing-brake-pads

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

The rear ones are very easy. I use a flat blade screwdriver to reseat the pistons while the old pads are still in place. Use finess and don't gouge the rotor or reef so hard you bend it. Takes patience not brawn. After the pistons are reset, remove the retaining bolt then the pads replacing the new ones in the exact same orientation. On the front you must remove the calipers from the forks, then I use a very wide blade screwdriver to re-seat the pistions working it against the old pads. Remove the pads and install the new ones, work the caliper with the new pads over the rotor and re-attach to the forks. If you haven't topped off your brake fluid since the pads were last changed you won't have to worry about the brake fluid reservoirs spilling over when reseating the pistons. If you have topped off, you will need to remove some fluid before re-seating the pistons. Be careful not to get it on any of your plastic parts. After everything is re-installed, slowly work the pedal and brake levers until they become firm again. Go for a test ride. I was in a hurry writing this so I may have left something out.

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
        You don't mention - service manual available? Front? Rear? Both?

Ever removed the front wheel of the motorcycle?

A few tricks are located in this thread...

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mot...ing-brake-pads
        No manual available, Plan on changing all three pads. Never taken off the wheel.

Originally posted by roundabout View Post

No manual available, Plan on changing all three pads. Never taken off the wheel.
          Just a suggestion but if you plan on doing any work on your bike I suggest buying a service manual so you can become familiar with your bike. Even if you plan on taking your bike to the dealer for repairs the manual will help you understand what the dealer tech will be doing. Also you will need a torque wrench to torque the fasteners to the proper specs and the service manual has those specs.
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
          Jimi Hendrix
          Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Thank You everyone.

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't get us (me) wrong...we all want you to succeed. After all, there's nothing like the investment of a couple of hours of effort to have a job done on your own machine - rather than paying someone to do it.

There's a few YouTube videos out there...

Good luck!

Front brakes: remove the front half of the fender and the caliper covers. Make sure the brake fluid in the master cylinders is NOT full. I always remove the M/C covers and suck a little fluid out first, about half way. Push the pads back into the caliper. Remove the pin at the bottom and the pads will basically fall out.
            when re-installing the pads, make sure the top is clipped into the retainer spring. Clean and apply a little brake grease to the pin and install. Top off the brake fluid.
            The rear is the same except it's harder to see what you are doing. Check to make sure pads are seated.
            No need to remove either wheel.

There is only two things a vehicle/bikes needs.

GO & STOP

You'll never get hurt if you don't have "GO"
              You could die if you don't have "STOP"

It's never a good idea to shove Dirty caliper pistons back into the caliper before cleaning the dirt/crud off first.

Can you just push the pistons back in?-Yes you can,
              but when you don't clean them.
              You are introducing road dirt into the brake/fluid system.

And lets not forget "servicing the Caliper Slider Pins"

Without cleaning and greasing them periodically, The Calipers can hang up, and cause uneven pad wear.

I remove the caliper mounts to clean and re-grease the slider pins,and clean the pistons, when I change my or my customers brake pads.

Doing it correctly is paramount to my & my customers safety.
              You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X