Speaker upgrade...or not. (2016)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker upgrade...or not. (2016)

I went to the IMS in Cleveland this weekend. J&M was there and had direct speaker replacements for the GL1800. They claimed louder and clearer and better than stock. My question to all of you is, have any of you experienced these upgraded speakers or know of anyone that has and what your opinion of them are and are they worth it or not. Thanks.

2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Rocky
      Rocky commented
      Editing a comment
      ROTFLMAO

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    I went to the IMS in Cleveland this weekend. J&M was there and had direct speaker replacements for the GL1800. They claimed louder and clearer and better than stock. My question to all of you is, have any of you experienced these upgraded speakers or know of anyone that has and what your opinion of them are and are they worth it or not. Thanks.
    Mike. If you expect people to help you??

You have to at least give us some idea what you are talking about?.

You don't have any info in you SIG, or profile. My ESP is on loan right now!.

1. What bike are you asking about?.
    2. What year is the bike?.
    3. Do you primarily listen to the dash speakers below speeds of 55 mph?.
    4. Do you ride in the rain?. (how often?)
    5. How many miles on the bike.
    6. What is wrong with the speakers you have now? (what is your complaint?)

Are you following me? LOL

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Rock it's listed as a 2016

• Rocky
        Rocky commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I didn't for some reason see the " (2016) " My Bad!!

My bike is a 2016 level 2. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade is for a better/cleaner/clearer music coming from the dash speakers. I listen to speakers at all speeds from city to expressway speeds at times. Nothing wrong with the stock speakers, just thought if it was worth the time and money to upgrade them. The J&M speakers I was referring to are water resistant as OEM so the guy said.

My bike is a 2016 level 2. The only reason I'm looking to upgrade is for a better/cleaner/clearer music coming from the dash speakers. I listen to speakers at all speeds from city to expressway speeds at times. Nothing wrong with the stock speakers, just thought if it was worth the time and money to upgrade them. The J&M speakers I was referring to are water resistant as OEM so the guy said.
        Mike. Thank you for explaining what you are looking to improve.

Acoustics are very personal.

Meaning we all have different acceptable requirements that please us, as to fidelity/bass/vocal clarity.

After reading your rely. .I get the impression you are wondering if you can improve your sound quality??

The best I can do for you is what I had to do. Educate myself on "Choices".

Personally. I have tried what everyone has, and had to find something that others hadn't, that pleased my own ears.

I would do you an injustice, if I told you to spend your money on what I like.

Here is a starting point.

https://www.google.com/search?source...e.&btnK=Google +Search&oq=GL1800+speaker+upgrade.&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30l8.767.10246..11402...0.0..0.138.1877 .20j3......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0j0i131.j9XSjPcs8_8

Yes you have to read what everyone talks about. But it is how we all learn, from others that have tried things that either worked out or didn't?.

For me the Polk or J& M speakers weren't what my own ears appreciated?
        That isn't saying that either product won't please anyone else!!.

All I am trying to say is. We all like different things, and have to sometimes spend the $$ to find out what we want??

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

No, no, and it depends are my answers to your questions. Nope, not intending to be a smart-azz at all, just being honest.

You're referring to these, I suppose??

https://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail...D=FSPU-GL06-XT

For myself, personally, I wear a helmet 99.99% of my riding at speeds greater than 20MPH. As such, any speaker is going to be less than optimal sounding - because your ears are covered with padding, a helmet shell, and possibly other stuff, right?

So, again, not that $160 is much for an improvement, but I'd prefer to that that money and put it to where I know I have improved audio, and that's right at point-blank range to my ears.

I was getting distortion from my OEM front speakers on my 2012 GL at 18,000 miles at 'round-town speeds, so I decided to try the FSPU-GL06-XT replacements. I was disappointed in the results. It seems to have made little improvement in the distortion at just above middle tone settings and not worth the cost. I can't help but wonder if there is a way to improve the sound quality, like maybe an amplifier replacement.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page