Two part question. #1. What is a good front and rear suspension. #2 Where is a good place to buy additional warranty.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two part question. #1. What is a good front and rear suspension. #2 Where is a good place to buy additional warranty.

Hi All,
    #1. I am looking to upgrade my 2012 OEM front and rear suspensions. I have heard of so many brands. Progressive, Racetech, Traxxion Dynamics, etc. My riding style is sometimes aggressive but sometimes relaxing. I also ride with my girlfriend 80 % of the time on the Goldwing. What are your opinions. Price is somewhat of a concern too.

#2. The previous owner bought a 4 yrs warranty which will be expiring next month. Where would be a good place to buy an additional 4 yrs Honda Warranty.
    Thanks!

Preacher I'll answer your Pm here,So everyone can understand about suspension better.

First I'll answer you warranty question.

You only get 3 years from the factory warranty, (01-17) Then you can buy the additional Ex-warranty for 4 more years.
    Once both expire-You are on your own.

Asking about suspension upgrades is very subjective. on what will work for YOU?

No One can say what will work for you!, If they do they are lying to you.

Who has what is best for you is the question??. (Glad you have done a lot of reading-Preacher)

Anytime you change fork or rear shock springs.

You will be adding Firmer Springs, After all you trying to improve the ride quality right!.

So with that. the suspension is going to get firmer! (Hence the improvement)
    But there is a trade off--

Progressive rate vs straight rate,again depends on a lot of variables.

Where you ride.
    How you ride.
    Road conditions.
    etc etc etc.

With a straight rate. The ride never changes, You pick your poison,or buy a different rate and change them to see if you like the ride any better?

With Progressive rate. They tend to be firmer than OEM, but still smoother than straight rate,
    Until they start to compress as the progressive rate changes with riding/road conditions.

I don't care for a 2x4 up my arse, Or at the end of my arms. (I like a smooth transition before I feel an impact from the road)

So after trying straight & progressive rate springs, I decided my body enjoys "Progressive rate" springs. (But that is just me)

Racetech & traxxion fork kits allow for adjustments (w/straight rate springs)
    The only down side to that is, You better do your own work, Or it will get expensive real quick trying different spring rates or shim's.

That was up until 6 years ago (2012) when Progressive came out with their ? "Progressive Mono Tubes for the 2001-2017 GL1800"

Now you can get a much nicer smoother yet firmer ride with the PMT's for not much money.

Progressive kicked the competitions butt by offering a unheard of "Lifetime Warranty" (You only need to keep your receipt for warranty) on their Mono Tubes.

You want to take it up a notch? Go for a Rocky Tree ($265 shipped) or trax aluminum tree set for $499 (The top tree Bridge isn't needed so says Max & Harmon-I concur with them)

As for the rear shock. Depending on mileage??

Honda gave you the best shock to date starting in 2012.
    Pair that shock with a "Progressive rear spring" for a Suspension set up that will be on par with that other brand for a lot less than $3500 (Depending on the installer)

The part that my customers like is the lack of service intervals needed. Because there isn't any!!!
    Traxxion recomends servicing their fork kits every 20,000-rear shock every 50,000
    I can't remember if racetech has a service interval or not??.

When my customers ask about fork bushing wearing out, with the PMT's?
    I suggest they do a fork service at 30,000 to SEE what the wear is on there bushings, as a gauge,as to when they should change out the bushings and fork oil.
    Where you ride/how you ride/road condition's will let you know when you inspect or replace the bushings the first time after PMT install.

A lot to digest I know.

Hope this helps.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• kiptap
      kiptap commented
      Editing a comment
      That was well said!

Thank you so much for the awesome advice. I've been on the forum before but never posted or ask for help. I just read what's on there but needed a more definitive answer. I got an estimate for the traxxion dynamic setup and it is pricey. Your answers has help a lot in my decision making. And as the warranty, I've been calling a few stores and waiting for an answer to that. Because of what you said, I am expecting the answer, "Sorry kid, its not going to happen."
    I've been riding the Goldwing for almost two yeas. I got interested in the bike because of threads like this. Like most riders, I came from riding crotch rockets and eventually decided to settle down a little. Unfortunately, its hard to leave the adrenaline behind. Again, thank you everyone for sharing all your opinions and ideas. Rocky, you are a legend from what I have read.

Rocky, you have mentioned the Rocky Tree. Where can they be purchased?

Rocky has it right i did my own on my 2010 wing it worked out well for my bike. Rocky was just developing his triple tree at the time i would recommend the traxxion setup if i were you there the best you can get if you cant do it your self. good Luck
        2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
          Rocky has it right i did my own on my 2010 wing it worked out well for my bike. Rocky was just developing his triple tree at the time i would recommend the traxxion setup if i were you there the best you can get if you cant do it your self. good Luck
          You have no idea what you are talking about.

You nor anyone else knows. When - How- Or Why, I make the "Rocky Tree".

You should stick to padding your post count until you buy a Goldwing!!

Current bikes.
          1986 GL1200 SEi
          2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Okay, I am still interested in looking at a pic of the Rocky tree. And how and where to buy.

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              Recommend sending him a private message here.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Still have not heard about your Rocky tree and I was being serious. If you are not please say so

Originally posted by jcsouders5464 View Post

Still have not heard about your Rocky tree and I was being serious. If you are not please say so
              I agree with kwthom. Send him a private message. That would fall under business and would be something of a faux pas for him to respond to in the open.... like posting live links to businesses that don't advertise here.
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
              USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
              US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
              2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
              2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

I run the OEM stones along with Progressive Monotubes and a Rocky Tree. It's an amazing difference over stock and did not break the bank. I can't imagine a better bang for your buck in improvements. Everyone rides differently, but I didn't have several thousand to spend. I've had others switching from a stock suspension to riding my bike, and they also noticed an immediate improvement. Ping Rocky on private message about the Rocky tree.
                Costa Mesa, CA
                2012 RED GL1800

I'm not selling my Tree to anyone who says something as stupid as the below quote!.

I am adding ABS to my bike, as all it is parts and wiring. As a car mechanic no big deal, and already have most of the parts. And the space is already sitting there for it.
                  Current bikes.
                  1986 GL1200 SEi
                  2004 GL1800

• kwthom
                    kwthom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This space reserved...

Can’t really speak on extended warranty, as I had one that wasn’t Honda, but never used it.

As far as suspension is concerned, I’ve added the spacer to disable the anti dive, and that’s all. It took the harshness out of the front end. 99% of the time, an upgraded suspension won’t be noticed, and even though I do push the bike fairly hard when cornering, I run out of lean angle way before I do suspension effectiveness. But then again, your mileage may vary. I am now on my second set of Metzler 888’s, the bike tracks better, and sticks in the corners better than any of the other brands I’ve tried.
                  Dave Wyatt
                  08 GL1800
                  76 CB750A

Hi All,

I wanted to share this regarding my warranty. I message several dealers and was able to get two dealers to respond. One dealer wanted $930 for 2 additional years and another dealer wanted $780 w an Inspection to be perform ($136). I have about 16 days before expiration. So I'm going w the $780. Pretty hefty but feels its worth it Btw, I'm bring in the Goldwing to have my heated grips and seat repair (warranty).

And this warranty is after the additional 4 yrs added which is expiring.

I wanted to thank everyone for your valuable input.

Originally posted by preacher View Post
                      Hi All,

I wanted to share this regarding my warranty. I message several dealers and was able to get two dealers to respond. One dealer wanted $930 for 2 additional years and another dealer wanted $780 w an Inspection to be perform ($136). I have about 16 days before expiration. So I'm going w the $780. Pretty hefty but feels its worth it Btw, I'm bring in the Goldwing to have my heated grips and seat repair (warranty).

And this warranty is after the additional 4 yrs added which is expiring.

I wanted to thank everyone for your valuable input.
                      Do NOT-- I Repeat. Do Not buy any warranty other than the Honda..

Third party warranty's aren't worth the paper they are written on ,when you need to file a claim.

I know its your money. But I feel I should warn you ahead of time to not only save you money.

7 years from Honda is the MAX you can get with the 01-17 GL1800.

Many friends had to eat crow,because they didn't heed my warning, when they needed warranty work,
                      They got screwed by the aftermarket warranty who told them all to pound sand!!

************************************************** *******
                      Current bikes.
                      1986 GL1200 SEi
                      2004 GL1800

Hi Rocky,

Will do. I remember someone mentioning that on a thread. I asked and was told they contacted Honda regarding giving me additional warranty. I told them I will not buy unless it is from honda motors. They rest assured to me it is from Honda Motor Corp.

I will look at the paperwork. And make sure it is a qualified warranty from Honda. If not, I will not purchase it. I will even call Honda personally.

THANK YOU For watching out for the little guy. I will let you know how it goes by next week.

Originally posted by preacher View Post
                          Hi Rocky,

Will do. I remember someone mentioning that on a thread. I asked and was told they contacted Honda regarding giving me additional warranty. I told them I will not buy unless it is from honda motors. They rest assured to me it is from Honda Motor Corp.

I will look at the paperwork. And make sure it is a qualified warranty from Honda. If not, I will not purchase it. I will even call Honda personally.

THANK YOU For watching out for the little guy. I will let you know how it goes by next week.
                          I have no problem with anyone spending their money on what they so desire.

I just want to see you get what you are paying for. (not get ripped off)

I'm sure what he is touting is for the 2018 & 19 bikes. (Honda did change the amount of years they now sell ex-warranty)
                          https://powersports.honda.com/Model/...ycle-threeyear

Very smart on your part to call Honda to verify if this shop "can" sell additional years through Honda. (2001-2017)

Honda in Torrance CA. https://powersports.honda.com/contact.aspx

************************************************** *******
                          Current bikes.
                          1986 GL1200 SEi
                          2004 GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page