•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-2012 tpms light on

tpms on my 2010 1800 stays on

Things to consider.
    1.You could have something as simple as a dead battery in one of the wheel sensors? (Due to age)
    2. Could be a defective wheel sensor that no longer communicates to the TPMS Module under the (old pocket) cover.
    3. Most dealers have a diagnostic & reset tool.

If it's determined that a battery has faded?

I'd have both replaced. (Yes tires have to be dismounted for a battery change.)
    Or wait until its new tire time and kill two birds with one stone.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

My understanding is that batteries in the OE sensors will die in two to three years, and weren't directly replaceable.

Another individual elsewhere has provided a how-to-replace the battery in the sensor, which can be done by someone competent with a soldering iron, depending on the style of replacement battery purchased.

Then, you'll need the diagnostic & reset tool in order to re-register the sensor to the bike. In addition, there's no way to tell which sensor has failed unless you have that tool.

Sadly, it's NOT a user-friendly system by any means.
      Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Try Fobo. It gives you readout from both tires. At next tire change you can swap to t valve stems. Then just ignore the light on your dash. This is what I've done on my 2012. Now I can open up my phone and check the tire pressure at any time. I figure for a catastrophic pressure loss you probably don't need a light on your dash to tell you about it.
        Costa Mesa, CA
        2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
          My understanding is that batteries in the OE sensors will die in two to three years, and weren't directly replaceable.

Another individual elsewhere has provided a how-to-replace the battery in the sensor, which can be done by someone competent with a soldering iron, depending on the style of replacement battery purchased.

Then, you'll need the diagnostic & reset tool in order to re-register the sensor to the bike. In addition, there's no way to tell which sensor has failed unless you have that tool.

Sadly, it's NOT a user-friendly system by any means.
          I had the battery go bad in one sensor this year, (mines a '09) . I had to have the almost new tires F/R removed so I could remove the sensors. I sent them to Fred Harmon for him to replace the batteries. Got them back in a couple of days, reinstalled sensors being sure to put the front back on the front wheel and rear back where it came from. Didn't need the special tool as I was keeping the sensors where they were originally. All works fine now.

The re-set tool is not too expensive. Under the seat is the plug with 2 wires that need to be connected to trigger the TPMS reset procedure on the 1800. I extended the wires and now the connector on my bike is inside the small compartment under the rear speaker. I do not need to remove the seat to reset the TPMS on my bike if I swap out tires & wheels. I have an extra rear wheel for that quik swap out.
            2013 Red Airbag 1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page