Suddenly Stalling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly Stalling?

I have a 2012 that is suddenly very slow warming up.

Yes, it is November 2018. Yes, mine has The Dreaded Stumble, but this is even worse. The bike is 6 years old with the original battery. It IS colder than it has been with morning temps in the 40F range, but it seems slower warming up than past years with similar temperatures. I did NOT do a tune up this year—tune up meaning new plugs. The tach reads 950, per usual, but it sure feels like the idle is lower. The bike wants to stall when I let the clutch out. The take off is fine when I intentionally bring the idle up to 1500-2000 rpm. This is more revs than I usually need to get going.

Suggestions on what to test—and how?

Someone build a winter getaway in your air filter housing? Last air filter change? How “ old” is the gas? Bad air temp sender, unplugged, wires chewed off wires.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• CruiseControl
      CruiseControl commented
      Editing a comment
      Just had a lot of the Tupperware off after a slow speed tip over, so I don’t think it is mice. Gas is fresh. as this is my daily driver. Don’t know about the air temp sender or wires. I will pull the side cover of& tomorrow and take a look.

Mileage?

Have you changed clutch fluid? When was the last time?

Has the clutch sensitivity adjustment been messed with (the adjuster is on the lever - that chrome knob with numbers on it)?

• CruiseControl
      CruiseControl commented
      Editing a comment
      Clutch fluid? I don’t know, so maybe not in forever. Clutch is on 5 per usual. Today, it died twice with the clutch all the way in. Bike was warm and air temperature was 61F.

Did you try the ECM reset? Start the bike and let it idle until the fans come on. It may take quite a while in cold temps. Do not touch anything until the fans run. Then shut it down and see if it helped.
    I do this probably twice a year to mine.

• CruiseControl
      CruiseControl commented
      Editing a comment
      Tonight, I’m going to try charging the battery. It is 6 years old. If that doesn’t work, I will try the ECM reset and pull off the side cover to check for loose or bitten cables. I HAVE new plugs. Maybe replacing the plugs will be experiment number three. But that is about the extent of my mechanical skills.

Thanks to all. I appreciate your suggestions.

Originally posted by cihilb View Post
      Did you try the ECM reset? Start the bike and let it idle until the fans come on. It may take quite a while in cold temps. Do not touch anything until the fans run. Then shut it down and see if it helped.
      I do this probably twice a year to mine.
      If your battery is 6 yrs old, I would consider replacing it. Batteries in Goldwings sometimes make them do weird stuff.
      DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
      2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

• CruiseControl
        CruiseControl commented
        Editing a comment
        I am thinking that too, but I would RATHER replace it in the Spring. Just not sure the engine will be reliable if I don’t replace it sooner rather than later.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9DD7VIKZnGA

LOL I had to!!

mattbcnv
      2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page