2017 Gold Wing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Gold Wing

Just purchased a new candy red 2017 Level 3 Gold Wing with .5 miles on the odometer. Could NOT be more excited even though it came with the bittersweet act of selling my rip-snorting 2014 FJR 1300A.

Picking it up next Friday at a dealer in Davenport, Iowa.

I'm a lucky man.

Congratulations!! Enjoy the ride!
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by ndivita View Post
      Just purchased a new candy red 2017 Level 3 Gold Wing with .5 miles on the odometer. Could NOT be more excited even though it came with the bittersweet act of selling my rip-snorting 2014 FJR 1300A.

Picking it up next Friday at a dealer in Davenport, Iowa.

I'm a lucky man.
      Doing the Happy Dance. Now just try getting that silly grin off your face.
      When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
      Jimi Hendrix
      Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Nice! We need pictures!

GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

It was a close call. I found myself looking high and low, far and wide, for a new or low mile pre 2018, post 2014 Gold Wing with ABS.

Complicating matters was the fact that there seems to be a dwindling supply of leftover, "new" such machines in dealer showrooms or warehouses. There were some privately owned, used Wings fitting the description but not nearly as many as you would think, and pretty distant from me. I was not particularly interested in doing a fly and ride or in having a bike shipped to me, even if I found a dealer who would agree to that. (Some won't or cannot I learned).

I ruled out the 2018 after a lot of thought and research. I test rode the manual and DCT. Each was more like a sport tourer than I expected. I like how they look, mildly better, in fact, than the pre 2018 bike. Could not warm up to the DCT. There are already too many algorithms running my life.

But my mom taught me to never be a sucker for a pretty face. In no order, the factors that influenced my decision against the 2018 were: First model year design; less storage space; dubious front suspension; glitchy BT interface which I personally experienced; less rider and passenger comfort; smaller gas tank; well done Traxxion Dynamics videos.

My research indicated that in 2012 there were meaningful suspension design upgrades. In 2014 there were meaningful transmission design upgrades. The 2017 bike has some degree of connectivity; nothing like the 2018 model but I'm not buying a motorcycle just because it is a rolling Bluetooth hub even if it works sometimes.

Let's just say that the 2017 bike I ended up buying is a known quantity and is seemingly the highest evolution of the previous design. That seems good enough for my money, and is hard to argue with compared to the first iteration of what is by most accounts a brand new design with some features and design choices that are questionable and clearly intended for a younger customer demographic some of whom simply may not know any better.

In the end it's a personal choice and I'm delighted with mine even though I know it will take a little bit of ingenuity and time to render this bike up to snuff from from the standpoint of personal electronics and communication.

It is a shame that Honda could not have taken the previous design and simply upgraded the electronics interface and communications package to be wireless Bluetooth capable from the factory.

Yes I wish the 2017 had a power windshield. But that's not the only thing that I'll miss about my FJR believe me. I do feel like I've turned the page in my motorcycling book however.

Cheers to all.

• Madrebel
            Madrebel commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve got the exact same bike and I’m extremely happy with it. Some members suggested I wait for the 2018. One, I don’t like to wait, for anything. Two, I don’t like the reduced storage. That was the biggest turn off to me. I agree the electric windshield would have been nice.

• Cruiseman
            Cruiseman commented
            Editing a comment
            If you decided on a 2017 over a 2018 because of suspension, your decision may have been misguided. There is NO comparison between the suspension on a 2017 and a 2018. 2018 is FAR superior. That said, the 2017 is a very nice bike and I am sure you will love it.

I'm pleased with my decision. Each design has its advantages and disadvantages. The 2018 has more differences than similarities compared to the 2017. Not all favorable in my judgment. Comfort and space were the biggest factors. Suspension was one of many factors.

Bought my 2017 Red Level 3 in Nov. for many of the same reasons as you. I hope your experience is better than mine. The quality of my 2107 is not
            up to the level of my 2006 , which was replaced because it was totalled. The 2017 has already spent the month of Jan. having parts of the fairing replaced
            due to hidden damage I found while installing mods. And will be going in the winter to have the transmission checked , disassemble the engine, to find out why
            the reverse keeps popping out.

One last thing. If you have any Honda accessories you want get them as soon as you can. Honda has already stopped supplying the spoiler some colors.

I'd demand a new bike

• RoadRat
                RoadRat commented
                Editing a comment
                Good luck with that lol

Originally posted by roundabout View Post
              I'd demand a new bike
              Demand all you want ain't going to happen.

I bought a 2017 White Level 3 in Feb for many of the same reasons as you.

You picked the next to the best color since I traded my White 2012 for the Hawkseye Blue GW Tour DCT

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page