• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    It does?

http://goqcrew.com/what-is-the-diffe...5-brake-fluid/

Glycol-based, or silicone-based?

• Rocky
    replied
    ROTFLMFAO. Dot 5 huh.

Do you work in the same Jiffy Lube at "ShooterF6B" by chance?

Leave a comment:

• brownfoxx1
    replied
    check your owners manual older wings like my '93 takes DOT5. also go to ebay /harbor freight and get a brake bleed kit. then all you need is a small air compresser. or you can do whit i do is use a quart oiler can put a vacuum hose on it , and a vacuum "T" on it so you can pump fluid to 2 bleed valves at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Eichenlaub
    replied
    Replaced the back pads and bled the rear brakes numerous times but to no available on my 96 gl. Got the shop manual and found it's linked. Bled the front and now good responsive braking. Will be taking the master cylinder kit back for a refund.

Leave a comment:

• rockiesfans454
    replied
    The same problem happened to my '91. Thought it was probably the master cylinder needed a kit, so I ordered a one that winter and installed it. Thought I had it whipped and about four months later without using the brake (didn't have the opportunity to ride) it did the same thing again. So I just vacuum bled through the left front caliper and all was well as long as I step on that pedal about once a month or ride it. I have a '94 now that did the same thing last spring, however I am not going to put a kit in it as long as it works fine otherwise. Can't imagine where that air is coming from, but bleeding it once a year is not much of a chore anyway.

Leave a comment:

• rgmr250
    replied
    1500's brakes are linked, but differently than the 1800's. IIRC the rear brake pedal activates the rear brake, plus the front left caliper. The front brake lever activates the front right caliper only. So, you'll want to bleed the front left, then the rear.

Leave a comment:

• Lone Ranger
    commented on 's reply
    It's great how everyone is so helpful. Wealth of information here, between first hand experience and sources provided.

• TravelinLite
    replied
    Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post
    I was able to find a good bit of information on the Internet about bleeding the brakes on a GL1500. The Goldwingdocs,com forum is a great place for information on the older Wings. The bottom three links go to threads on that forum.

The guy in the Youtube video below is obviously not a mechanic, but it will give you a good idea of what needs to be done on your bike,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQeRAFuYhk

How to bleed linked brakesGL1500 Information ...

How to bleed or flush your clutch • GL1500 DIY ...

bleeding rear on 95 gl1500GL1500 Information ...

Way to go Jim. Good work.

Leave a comment:

• EBRPDA3
    replied
    Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help me. I will continue to "get it done".

Leave a comment:

• wingleader09
    replied
    I was able to find a good bit of information on the Internet about bleeding the brakes on a GL1500. The Goldwingdocs,com forum is a great place for information on the older Wings. The bottom three links go to threads on that forum.

The guy in the Youtube video below is obviously not a mechanic, but it will give you a good idea of what needs to be done on your bike,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQeRAFuYhk

How to bleed linked brakesGL1500 Information ...

How to bleed or flush your clutch • GL1500 DIY ...

bleeding rear on 95 gl1500GL1500 Information ...

Leave a comment:

• HBarlow
    replied
    Start with the basics. Is DOT 4 the specified brake fluid for GL1500? I don't know.

If it is flush the system and refill with fresh, clean brake fluid of the proper specification and check brake operation again.

While you're at it flush and refill the clutch hydraulic system also.

Leave a comment:

• jmohme
    replied
    Yes, it might be air in the system, among other things.
    Have you checked the fluid level in the master cylinder and checked for leaks?
    If it is full and from your other question, then I would proceed with bleeding the system. If you still have no pedal, you may have a master cylinder problem.
    I don't know if the 1500 has linked brakes or not, but if it does, there is probably a bleeding procedure published somewhere.

And yes, if the fluid has never been replaced and the system flushed, it should be done.

Leave a comment:

• EBRPDA3
    started a topic Foot Break goes all the way down

Foot Break goes all the way down

I got on my 2000 Goldwing 1500 and the foot break has no resistance. I have been told that it is a air in the line issue. Also should I be replacing and bleeding the dot 4 break fluid? I have tried to find a video that addresses my issue specifically, no joy.
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page