How to secure the gw dct tour on a trailer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to secure the gw dct tour on a trailer?

just found out i might have to put my dct touring on a trailer to take to the shop on the 22nd..it will be upto 4 hours to replace my trunk lid and do first maintenance...i have a 4x8 flat trailer and a 5x8 enclosed with ramp...how should i secure this machine on or in one of these trailers. previously with my ctx, i would just ratchet strap each side handlebar to the trailer frame and the back wheel would be pulled to the back...not sure if this will work for the goldwing.

ive heard of a strap that grabs both handle grips at the same time and then secures in the middle...never seen one...any suggestions?

thanks!!!

Steve

I trailered my bike home 125 miles and this is how I did it. First off I have a wheel chock in the trailer that will hold the bike up on it's own. I ran 4 soft ties around the yoke that holds the front wheel (around the large round part at the top). The soft ties were connected together (2 connected to each other), then I ran a rachet strap off each side to the trailer floor. Then I put 2 soft ties on the centerstand and rachet straps off of them to the floor. I also ran 1 strap around the wheel chock so the bike could not back out. That kept the bike from moving front to back and sidr to side. Worked well for me.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

thanks for the info..where did you buy your wheel chock
      thanks!
      Steve

I know how they strap them to the palette from the factory, but you have to remove the seat. Straps go over the frame rails under the seat in back and through the engine guards on the front. But, that is WITHOUT the engine covers on, so not sure if it might damage the engine covers, or if you could even get the strap in place.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by scratchee35 View Post
          thanks for the info..where did you buy your wheel chock
          thanks!
          Steve
          Harbor Freight

i have a hf a few miles from me...never used a chock like that before...how did you know which one to use? im assuming its bolted thru the floor of the trailer? is it removable to use the trailer for other stuff in that same spot?
            thanks!!!

this is the wheel chock that I have. Yes I have it fastened to the floor of the enclosed trailer. It is easily removed when I need the trailer for something else. As for fastening the rear of the bike you only need to keep it from move side to side. That is why I attached to the centerstand. You could just as easily attach to the rear tire.
              I personally do not like the idea of attaching to the handle bars. My way does not put any stress on the suspension at all.

I also have the chock mounted to a narrow (12") strip of plywood eight feet long. I lay it out in my garge and drive the bike into it for parking. No side stand or centerstand required.

great info...and i have a 20% off coupon for harbor freight!! well crap..i think i expired today lol i will def look into this..i really dont want to trailer it, but i really dont want to have to sit and wait 4 hours for them to work on my bike either

thanks everyone for all the input!!!

Steve

Originally posted by scratchee35 View Post
                    great info...and i have a 20% off coupon for harbor freight!! well crap..i think i expired today lol i will def look into this..i really dont want to trailer it, but i really dont want to have to sit and wait 4 hours for them to work on my bike either

thanks everyone for all the input!!!

Steve
                    If you have a smart phone you can bring up the HF site on your phone and they always have the 20% off coupon on the site and they will scan it at the cash register. I do that all the time at the store when I'm ready to pay.
                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                    Jimi Hendrix
                    Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

I’m not a fan of looping anything through the steering, to much of a chance for someone to capture it wrong and mess up a line or stress a component. I prefer using the tip overs like the factory does. I also use the rear tip overs but popping off the seat and using the frame, like the factory does, is a great option.

I’ll post some pictures when I get a chance.
                      Mark
                      2018 Silver DCT

maybe a dumb question, but what are "tip overs"

Originally posted by kc classic View Post
                          this is the wheel chock that I have. Yes I have it fastened to the floor of the enclosed trailer. It is easily removed when I need the trailer for something else. As for fastening the rear of the bike you only need to keep it from move side to side. That is why I attached to the centerstand. You could just as easily attach to the rear tire.
                          I personally do not like the idea of attaching to the handle bars. My way does not put any stress on the suspension at all.
                          Do you still have this chock and would you buy it again? I need to get one for my 2008.
                          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

absolutely. I think it is only 59.00 dollars

JB weld, apply liberally to both front and rear tires

mattbcnv
                              2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

I put soft ties around the front tip over down between the headers to tie the bike on the lift. That works pretty good for some tie downs.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page