Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure question

What are you running for tire pressure on the 2018 Goldwing. Manual says 36/41 I'm running 38/42. Also does anyone know how low the tire must go before the TPMS light goes on ?.

Originally posted by BKWGoldwingDCT View Post
    What are you running for tire pressure on the 2018 Goldwing. Manual says 36/41 I'm running 38/42. Also does anyone know how low the tire must go before the TPMS light goes on ?.
    My light came on when the front tire was 32psi. Back tire has not been low enough to come on. I run what the manual says.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I run 39 in front and mine comes on and shows 36, and doesn’t go off until it reads 38. So if 36 is actually where it’s supposed to be at...something is wrong. I’ll be doing a warranty claim to get the front replaced.

"... a TPMS warning light isn't required to come on until a tire is 25 percent below the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure."

JHawk8 Are you certain you pressure gauge is accurate? The TPMS may be more accurate than your tire gauge.

A TPMS will also have a systemic hysteresis that happens when the pressure changes (adding air to a tire, for example) thus, the sensor needs a bit to obtain equilibrium.

You also have to work in the ambient temperature range, since for every 10°F of change, there's around 1 PSI corresponding change in tire pressure.
        Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

Gauge is close, but if the correct tire pressure according to Honda manual is 36, and the tpms is showing a warning at 36, then imo there must be a problem with the tpms. I am using nitrogen in the tire. I never had a problem on the tpms on my other bikes using nitrogen.

I have always run 41/41
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Yes, it seems I will need to up my pressures in order to keep the tpms at bay.

41/41

36/41 unless I see a tire wear issue

I picked my Tour DCT up from Brookhaven and ride it 250 miles home. Checked the pressure the next day and found the front tire at 80psi and the rear at 84psi. These pressures are over twice what they should have been. My question is, how likely is it that the tire has been damaged and that the damage will show up later? I don't want to be going down the freeway at 80ish this summer and have a blowout.

• RoadRat
                      RoadRat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Are you sure your gauge is correct? If in fact they were inflated to those readings I would think you would have noticed a horrible ride.

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tires could be stressed; TPMS might be blown if the pressure really was 80psi.

Tried a digital and analog gauge. Could not tell any difference in ride since it was my first ride on the 2018 GW.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X