Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Wing Was A Quart Low On Oil In 435 Miles

As the headline said I decided to check my oil before leaving on a 2500mi trip. I am sure I checked it the day I brought it home and it was full. Anyway this is serious and I wanted to get the message out here. Plus there is more than one bike in my shop doing it. My bike showed zero oil on the dipstick. The correct procedure in the manual is to warm it up, put it on the center stand, let it sit for 2-5 min and check. In checking the manual states to un screw the dipstick wipe it off insert it back into the engine but don't screw it back in. When I did this NO OIL on the stick. After screwing all the way in NO OIL was showing. I took it to the my dealer who I also work for part time and we started adding oil slowly then checking and it took almost an entire qt to put it on the full mark on the stick. Also at the same time another new 18 tour model was in the shop with a tire pressure monitoring issue. We checked it and no oil showed on that bike with 800 miles on it. We then screwed it all the way in and it showed just a drop on the dip stick so it is also about a quart low.

We have now drained the oil and filter and everything looks clean no metal shavings etc on the drain plug and inside the filter. The shop have refilled with new oil and a filter and will take off on the trip I have planned but am taking at least one qt of oil and will keep a close eye on it. I normally run 500-600 mi a day so for sure I will check it closely. So please everyone be very careful because this is so out of the norm for us Goldwing owners I have had at least 8-10 wings and never had an issue. My bike has never smoked on start up or going down the road so who knows. I am not 100% sure I checked it after I brought it home the first day or two and the owner of the other bike here in question I asked him if he had checked his and he said no. He also said I own gold wings several of them and don't have to worry. He was as surprised as me !! Maybe they are not getting filled proper at the factory I just can't imagine my bike using this much oil in 435 miles. The Honda rep was due in our shop today to look at the other GL 1800 with tire pressure problems and they are going to talk to him about this oil issue and show him my oil and filter.
    Doug in Decatur, IL K9CRT
    2018 Ardent Red 6spd Manual

First I have heard of this. I just got back today from Florida, I live in Michigan. I checked the oil daily and it was near the top mark (same spot). It used nothing in just shy of 3000 miles.

I have never started a bike to check the oil and I see that the manual calls for a 3-5 minute start then a 2-3 minute wait to check it (news to me). Maybe they were released from the factory that way??? I checked my oil at the dealer when I picked it up, might be advisable to do the same before you leave.
    Dennis

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Doug44 View Post
      As the headline said I decided to check my oil before leaving on a 2500mi trip. I am sure I checked it the day I brought it home and it was full. Anyway this is serious and I wanted to get the message out here. Plus there is more than one bike in my shop doing it. My bike showed zero oil on the dipstick. The correct procedure in the manual is to warm it up, put it on the center stand, let it sit for 2-5 min and check. In checking the manual states to un screw the dipstick wipe it off insert it back into the engine but don't screw it back in. When I did this NO OIL on the stick. After screwing all the way in NO OIL was showing. I took it to the my dealer who I also work for part time and we started adding oil slowly then checking and it took almost an entire qt to put it on the full mark on the stick. Also at the same time another new 18 tour model was in the shop with a tire pressure monitoring issue. We checked it and no oil showed on that bike with 800 miles on it. We then screwed it all the way in and it showed just a drop on the dip stick so it is also about a quart low.

We have now drained the oil and filter and everything looks clean no metal shavings etc on the drain plug and inside the filter. The shop have refilled with new oil and a filter and will take off on the trip I have planned but am taking at least one qt of oil and will keep a close eye on it. I normally run 500-600 mi a day so for sure I will check it closely. So please everyone be very careful because this is so out of the norm for us Goldwing owners I have had at least 8-10 wings and never had an issue. My bike has never smoked on start up or going down the road so who knows. I am not 100% sure I checked it after I brought it home the first day or two and the owner of the other bike here in question I asked him if he had checked his and he said no. He also said I own gold wings several of them and don't have to worry. He was as surprised as me !! Maybe they are not getting filled proper at the factory I just can't imagine my bike using this much oil in 435 miles. The Honda rep was due in our shop today to look at the other GL 1800 with tire pressure problems and they are going to talk to him about this oil issue and show him my oil and filter.
      There are a lot of 2018 owners with the wrong oil level being delivered to them. The PDI oil check is #2 on the list. The dealerships are not checking the oil properly. The factory is also not filling them to the right level either. Hondas QC is non-existent at the dealer and factory level.

This was my experience with oil level.. I posted this on "the other board":

Purchased Goldwing 02/21/2018 from local dealer.
      I've never been able to get a reasonable reading on my dipstick.
      Being a previous Goldwing owner, I chalked it up to the well known fact that it is impossible to get a good reading on the dipstick, no matter what you do.
      This problem was driving me nuts, I know how important the proper oil level is on any engine.
      I made several visits to the dealer and talked to them about it, all they did was look at me funny.
      I even got CS at American Honda involved. No Help. They said I must follow the instructions in the owners manual, really??

So today I changed the oil, both filters and the O-ring on my DCT.
      900 miles..It was due.
      I had to get rid of the little sparklies in the oil from the break in period. That's just me.
      Anyway, back to the story. Everything went well, although it is a bit more work than the previous Gens. When I was finished, fired it up, no issues.

I was admiring my handy work, when a thought popped into my head about the dipstick issues I was having.
      I decided to measure the oil that came out of the bike, easy enough to do.
      I had put the used oil in a 2.5 gallon container, so I measured the oil with a 32 oz. graduated container. When I was finished I had collected 180 oz. of oil. So I did the math and I was astonished to find the bike had 5.625 quarts of oil in it.
      I had found the problem. .725 of a quart or 23 oz. overfilled. 5.625qts - 4.9 qts. = .725, no wonder I couldn't get the dipstick to read correctly.

I called the service mgr. at the dealership with my findings.
      He said the bikes are shipped with the oil in them from Honda. Another QC issue, come on Honda, you can do better than that.
      I asked him why they didn't catch the overfill at his shop. I said somebody's not doing their job.
      He said they triple check the bikes before the customer gets delivery of them. I said you missed one.Ha Ha.
      He sure would not admit he messed up.
      So I had him open up another QC case number on my bike, in case I had problems down the road, it's a growing list. lol
      PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by Doug44 View Post

Sorry to hear about your troubles but that's what these forums are good for. Hopefully the bugs will be ironed out by the 2019 model.
        STURGIS 1993,

When you drained the oil, it would have been interesting to measure how much oil was actually in the engine. Perhaps it is an issue with the dipstick reading?
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
            When you drained the oil, it would have been interesting to measure how much oil was actually in the engine. Perhaps it is an issue with the dipstick reading?
            Yes it could be an issue with the stick however when we refilled it ( as an employee I can be in the shop with the guys) we filled it up with a measure container and we put the oil in the engine in steps and it started showing on the stick after 2.78 qts. What we are finding is it takes just under 3 qts to show on the stick. In other words if it is not on the stick when checked or just a drop showing on the stick you will be around .3/4 qt low to 1 qt. Since posting this thread I have talked to another dealer who is a big goldwing dealer and he told me he is finding many of the new bikes out of the crate low on oil.

This appears to be a carry-over from the earlier GL1800's where engine oil and final drive oil levels were delivered to the customer low on oil. Nothing new with Honda, just business as usual.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Just checked mine and I was down a half quart. Already had words with the dealership that this should have been checked by them.

I watched my dealer assemble my bike and the last thing the tech did was check the oil. They also gave me a quart of oil to take with me.

How's the coolant level upon delivery?

Originally posted by HondaNutRider View Post
                      How's the coolant level upon delivery?
                      good question tomorrow I will check that....... Duh why didn't I think of this........... Thanks for the headsup also the rear end needs to be looked at I am thinking Honda is not trust worthy

Originally posted by wing9956 View Post
                        Just checked mine and I was down a half quart. Already had words with the dealership that this should have been checked by them.
                        problem is maybe it was checked and was at the full level on the dipstick. This is the problem are these new 2018 bikes using oil or are they under filled and not checked. Anyone taking a new 18 from a dealer should insist the oil be checked in your presence before riding off. Each and everyone of these bikes low on oil with just a few hundred miles on them should be report to Honda. We need to have this verified and on record with Honda for future issues after all we a dealing with an entire new engine here. I know my dealer has told me in working with Honda factory service in Calif they seem to know very little about these new bikes and actually called my dealer to ask him a question about calibrating a Honda test device.

After reading this thread, I checked my bike. No oil on the dipstick. Taking it to the dealer this morning. 1500 miles!!! I’m told they may not even have an oil filter to change out, since Honda is not shipping parts quickly. Update, I was 1 qt low. Just added oil, dealership has no oil filter or tires, or ANYTHING, for the 2018 yet

• HondaNutRider
                            HondaNutRider commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I believe (maybe someone else can confirm) that the screw-on oil filter is the same one as they previously used on the GL1500 and GL1800 models. The DCT model takes an additional cartridge filter (and O-ring) that may be new on this model.

You can obtain the oil filter (DCT clutch filter) from Cyclemax.com, that's where I got mine. But, you can change the oil without swapping to a new clutch filter.

Is the screw-on the same as before? Does the O-ring need to be replaced on the DCT clutch filter? What are the sizes (are they the same as on the previous model) of the crush washers on the oil plug(s)? (I don't believe I ever changed mine on the 130,000 KM of the previous 2003 GL1800 I had - although I changed the oil and filter every 10,000 KM.) Also, maybe you could post some part numbers.

Interesting, on another board, people are complaining that their bikes were over filled.

Oil filter is the same as the older wings, 12mm crush washers (smaller than the old wings) o-ring needs changing.
                                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by Dr. No View Post
                                  Interesting, on another board, people are complaining that their bikes were over filled.
                                  Mine was one of them, 23 ounces too much. Almost 3/4 of a quart. Dealers aren't checking the oil properly, who knows what the fill is coming from the Honda factory. Its either low or too high. Its a good idea to check the final drive too.
                                  PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Had a long face to face talk with Regional Honda guy yesterday, Honda knows about the problem now.
                                    PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Just so I'm clear on the procedure to check oil. You let the bike warm up first then turn it off. You unscrew the dipstick but check the stick without screwing back in. Can the check be done on the side stand or the center stand (if you have one) or just the side? If the level is low your mixing cold oil from the bottle with the hot oil. Does that affect the reading in any way?
                                      STURGIS 1993,

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page