My New Wing Was A Quart Low On Oil In 435 Miles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to my mechanic this morning, once the engine is warm, if you check too soon, the reading is low. After 3-5 minutes and it’s accurate. The more time after 5 min, the reading will be higher. And yes, dont screw the dip stick in before reading. Note to self: buy stopwatch. 🧐

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Trailboss
      Trailboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Roger that. Thnx

Originally posted by Trailboss View Post
    Just so I'm clear on the procedure to check oil. You let the bike warm up first then turn it off. You unscrew the dipstick but check the stick without screwing back in. Can the check be done on the side stand or the center stand (if you have one) or just the side? If the level is low your mixing cold oil from the bottle with the hot oil. Does that affect the reading in any way?
    My original post if you read it again I covered how to check the oil level according to the owners manual. And yes put it on the center stand or have someone help you and make sure the bike is pretty much straight up. Leaning it over much will dramatically affect the level on the dipstick
    Doug in Decatur, IL K9CRT
    2018 Ardent Red 6spd Manual

Originally posted by trailboss View Post
      just so i'm clear on the procedure to check oil. You let the bike warm up first then turn it off. You unscrew the dipstick but check the stick without screwing back in. Can the check be done on the side stand or the center stand (if you have one) or just the side? If the level is low your mixing cold oil from the bottle with the hot oil. Does that affect the reading in any way?
      rtfm!!
      PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Trailboss
        Trailboss commented
        Editing a comment
        I could if I owned a Wing but right now I don't. I'm doing research to determine if I want to buy one. That's why I'm asking people that own them.

Originally posted by Trailboss View Post
      Just so I'm clear on the procedure to check oil. You let the bike warm up first then turn it off. You unscrew the dipstick but check the stick without screwing back in. Can the check be done on the side stand or the center stand (if you have one) or just the side? If the level is low your mixing cold oil from the bottle with the hot oil. Does that affect the reading in any way?
      https://powersports.honda.com/brochu...2031mkc600.pdf

there you go this should let you download your own owners manual. Hope this help answer some of your questions

Doug in Decatur, IL K9CRT
      2018 Ardent Red 6spd Manual

• Trailboss
        Trailboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks

Originally posted by JHawk8 View Post
      According to my mechanic this morning, once the engine is warm, if you check too soon, the reading is low. After 3-5 minutes and it’s accurate. The more time after 5 min, the reading will be higher. And yes, dont screw the dip stick in before reading. Note to self: buy stopwatch. 🧐
      Just the opposite.The Longer it sets the lower the reading on the dipstick.
      PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Markcuda
        Markcuda commented
        Editing a comment
        LOLOLOLOLOL
        Every thing on the internet is true.

I just checked my 2018 DCT engine oil.
      First i checked without running the engine and the level was right on the lower mark.
      I let the bike run for a few minutes and checked again immediately after turning off the engine, the oil level was the same, on the lower mark.
      Now waited a few minutes before checking. the level was half way in between both marks.
      The wing is on the center stand.

Sounds good to me.

I should be happy. My dealer, Hodag Honda in Rhinelander, WI, Walked me through the oil check process when I took delivery. The warm up, how to check the stick etc. We confirmed the level and reinforced the method. Which is very similar to my Yamaha Roadliner.
        Ride safe!

I too had a low reading on the stick at 800 miles and added approximately 1/4 quart. I found a discussion on another site that recommended warming the engine ON THE CENTER STAND before turning it off. After doing this, the level was overfilled. After draining the 1/4 quart back out, the level was ok. I changed the oil and filter at 2500 miles and refilled with 3.9 quarts (6-speed Tour) as per the owners manual. Again after warming the engine “on the center stand”, the level was on the full mark. I then ran the engine off the center stand, turned it off, and placed the bike on the side stand. After five minutes I placed it on the center stand and the oil level was off the stick. So it appears the oil doesn’t completely drain to the crankcase while on the side stand.

What about Russia?

Originally posted by vneal View Post
              What about Russia?
              YES..
              PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Just wait till you find out that no one is certified to work on the 2018 Goldwing engines / trans. I live in Southern, California, I've been to 4 dealers, other than what they learn on the internet courses that's it. If they say they are certified to work on the engines have them prove it........Like I did, at 4 and counting.

What dipstick?
                  I expected to find a dipstick attached to the oil filler cap. No such dipstick.

I've been riding this new 2018 Gold Wing Tour for about a week, with almost 400 miles on the clock. I expected the dealer to go thru a checklist, making sure everything was correct. If the dipstick fell into the motor, that's a bad thing. The dealer should have caught this (and several other) things.

Uh I don't think that's your dipstick. IT's on the right side sort of facing up not horizontal..

Originally posted by Brew1 View Post
                      Uh I don't think that's your dipstick. IT's on the right side sort of facing up not horizontal..
                      You are correct. I've been reading the f-ing manual, and it didn't say anything about the oil filler cap and the dipstick being on opposite sides of the motor... except on page 18...

My head is hanging in shame...

PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by Brew1 View Post
                          hahahahaha

I had a long chat with the service manager when I picked up my wing. He takes the time to demonstrate how to check the fluids. That way the customer knows how to do it. And they both verify that the levels are correct on pick up. Simple and effective. I like this guy!
                            Ride Safe!
                            Mike

Had dealer drain about half quart of oil from my 2 week old dct tour. Operations manager said they have been adding oil to all new wings. I suggested retraining staff.

Originally posted by Abitaman View Post
                                Had dealer drain about half quart of oil from my 2 week old dct tour. Operations manager said they have been adding oil to all new wings. I suggested retraining staff.
                                DUMB ASSES.
                                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by Abitaman View Post
                                  Time for us to learn how to tear apart and service our own bikes instead of trusting the monkeys at the dealerships.
                                  • 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
                                  • 1970 Honda CT70 (3sp man auto-clutch - my first "DCT")
                                  • 2001 Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit
                                  • Goldwing rider since 1982

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page