Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1500 miles, likes and dislikes

I picked up my new DCT tour last Wednesday at Russellville Honda and now have just under 1500 miles on it. I’m on my way back to Oregon, trying to stay out of the high winds and weather plaguing the middle of the country. So with 4 days of seat time, here are my first impressions. LIKES: electric windscreen, suspension, parking brake, keyless start, lighter weight, DCT, horn, cruise control, and the way the bike looks. DISLIKES: less storage, less range, no foot - lower leg warmers, and the audio/electronics are not intuitive to use. NOT SURE: Bluetooth. Not crazy about having to charge my helmet every night.

With all that being said, I think I’m gonna love this new bike. It’s my 4th Goldwing (2005, 2010, 2017 and this one) and I have just under 250,000 miles combined so far on the 4 bikes, so I speak with some experience. The new one handles great, it sounds great, and it looks great. I was concerned about slow speed handling without a clutch, but it didn’t take long to get comfortable with the DCT. I’m still reaching for the clutch occasionally, but I’m sure that will abate eventually. Duh...My main concern with this new model is the lack of range. Yesterday riding across Texas and New Mexico where speed limits are 75 to 80 mph, I was stopping for fuel every 130 to 150 miles, and it would always take 3-1/2 to 4 gallons. Now I know at those speeds my mileage is going to suffer, but still I could ride at those speeds in my previous Goldwings and not see the fuel light come on until I’d get close to 200 miles. I’m trying to justify this in my head by saying it’s probably better/ healthier to stop more frequently anyway. We’ll see if I still feel this way 6 months from now?

Looks like you were getting about the same mileage as I would have experienced on my 2003 Wing. However, with the lower volume of fuel tank you likely wouldn't have been able to go as far on that tank. As you say, after 6 months of breaking-in, perhaps the mileage will improve.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• jmohme
      jmohme commented
      Editing a comment
      Break in is not nearly as big an issue as it was in the past.
      I doubt that you will see a noticeable difference in MPG.
      Fuel mileage is going to be effected more by the mode selected and how aggressively and fast you choose to ride.

130 to 150 mile range is not a good thing.
    I've ridden that many miles before lunch with Tom Finch were he led me on back roads and not see a gas station.

In my opinion, a touring bike should be capable of 200 - 250 miles between fuel stops.
    I bet auxiliary fuel tanks will be in demand for the new Wing.

If it took 3 1/2 to 4 gallons, you still hat 1 1/2 to 2 gallons left, that's about 60 to 80 miles. (more or less)

IMHO a 1800 isn't broken in fully until it is near 8,000 miles this generation or the last so I would wait to judge the MPG a bit longer.

I filled up yesterday, 230 miles, 4.9 gallons. city and freeway riding. 46.93 mpg. Could have gone another 30 miles.
          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Cruiseman
            Cruiseman commented
            Editing a comment
            You are doing a lot better than I am. I am getting right at 40 with combo driving.

I rode my bike to FL and at 65mph I got 46.39 mpg. On another tank again on cruise control at 70mph I got 44.50 mpg. These were not computer generated, just miles/gallons. Very happy with the mileage. Getting 200 + miles before reserve kicks in.
          Dennis

Sooooo much depends on your speed, acceleration, wind and hills! If I get more than 40mpg avg then I am more than happy!

I realized once I stopped and filled the tank that I still had some range left, probably another 40 miles conservatively, but I was in the middle of nowhere and down to the last bar on the gage and only showing 150 miles on the trip meter. It made me a tad nervous to say the least. It took exactly 4 gallons and for 150 miles that’s only 37.5 mpg. And yes, it was windy, and yes it was hilly, and yes I was going at least 75 mph the whole time, but still I’m a bit disappointed. What else can I say?

IMHO I think the better fuel mileage is in Honda's head. I don't see my new 18 getting a bit better or worse than the 2 older 1800's I had. Actually I think a lot of it depends on how high you will ride on the road with the windshield up/down. I ride a lot with a fellow who is 6'4 and he has a sail for a windshield and he gets terrible mileage. I had a 13 F6b I rode along side him with a Cee B 14" windshield and I always got 5-7 mpg better. I talked him into one day lowering his shield and his mileage improved that trip 3-5mpg. It is a lot like Honda's propaganda about the luggage capacity down slightly ! Slightly my butt there just isn't any room in any of these bags compared to the old bikes. Don't get me wrong I am not being critical but I am being truthful
                Doug in Decatur, IL K9CRT
                2018 Ardent Red 6spd Manual

The interesting thing about the gas mileage is the new wing runs about 500 RPM less at 75 mph than any of my other wings. 2700 RPM versus 3200 so you’d think that alone would give you better fuel mileage. It doesn’t make sense that it’s not, although I see some guys are saying they’re getting 46 or better mpg. I’m kinda stumped.

Originally posted by Retired Guy View Post
                    The interesting thing about the gas mileage is the new wing runs about 500 RPM less at 75 mph than any of my other wings. 2700 RPM versus 3200 so you’d think that alone would give you better fuel mileage. It doesn’t make sense that it’s not, although I see some guys are saying they’re getting 46 or better mpg. I’m kinda stumped.
                    I will have mine out on a 2500 mi trip later this month and I will report my mileage after I return. There is just so many things that enter into gas mileage where one guy get this and another that the best way is to compare is side-by-side on the same trip. This way it takes a lot of the variables away. So far the best I am getting is 37mpg but this is short trips and warming up in the mornings a couple of minutes while I suit up. But I just got a gut feeling this bike is not going to do a lick better than my 2013 F6b But hey it makes great reading what Honda says on the brochures
                    Doug in Decatur, IL K9CRT
                    2018 Ardent Red 6spd Manual

Originally posted by gug1953 View Post
                      I rode my bike to FL and at 65mph I got 46.39 mpg. On another tank again on cruise control at 70mph I got 44.50 mpg. These were not computer generated, just miles/gallons. Very happy with the mileage. Getting 200 + miles before reserve kicks in.
                      The 2018 Wing has a reserve or is that when the low fuel light comes on?
                      DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                      2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

Originally posted by Pooch View Post

The 2018 Wing has a reserve or is that when the low fuel light comes on?
                        Low fuel light comes on at about 1 gallon remaining and THAT is the reserve.
                        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

The "range to empty" seems to be pretty spot on as well. Helps a lot VS just guestimating from only the fuel gauge.
                          Ron - Montrose, CO
                          2018 Pearl White GL1800 DCT
                          2012 Pearl White GL1800 Level 1 - Sold @ 63K miles
                          I don't ride to make great time; I ride to have a great time!

I am OK with the range. I like to stop every 150 miles anyway to stretch my legs.
                            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Here’s an update on my mileage concern. I rode today at a more conservative pace (25 to 75 mph averaging about 55 ) and at 172 miles on the tank, the fuel gage still showed one bar not flashing and the bike took 4.02 gallons. That’s 42.78 mpg.

OK with a whole 40 miles on my new Blue Tour DCT, here's a couple observations:

- Downshifting in D or M is a bit abrupt. Another member says this smooths out overtime but we'll see.
                                - Very noticeable wind on my arms. This didn't exist at all on my '03. Haven't had the SO on the pillion yet, we'll see what she says. I've always thought that air deflectors look dorky as H_LL!!, but I just dropped another 1/2G on uppers and lowers. Fine in the summer I guess, but having owned Wings continually since 1983 I find it annoying. When I'm on my GSX-R or Tiger: fine, but don't like it on a Wing.
                                - Waiting on the back ordered fog lights from Wingstuff (GRRRRRR!), before I start tearing this thing down to install a ton of accessories, but really Honda, for this price no pre-installed power ports, pathetic lack of storage and just as important cubby holes, and only 1 helmet lock?

OK, rant over, it's a smooth great handling bike, but really?

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page