Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concern about low fuel indicators

I used to own a GL 1500 and was concerned about relying upon the low fuel light that seemed never accurately indicate was fuel was really left in the tank. This bugged me so much so that I replaced the low fuel thermistor with a float switch and carried an extra gallon in the saddle bag.

I read this comment from the "2018 Goldwing Wing Member Reviews" and it drew my concern.

"- When fuel light comes on, I have about 18 miles before I had to fill up. I ran out of gas without initially realizing and the engine sounded like a bucket of rocks turning over (of course if did not start until I refueled)."

Although I will probably run the tank dry on my own to see, I was wondering who else has checked to seek how much fuel/mileage is left when either the gauge starts to blink and/or the low fuel indicator comes on.

Thanks in advance,
    kiptap
    kiptap - Paul
    Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
    1979 Kawasaki Z 200
    1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
    1996 Honda GL 1500SE
    2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

I ran my 2018 Tour down to the low fuel warning, it cam on when the bike showed 40 miles to empty. I road it down until it showed 30 miles to empty and then filled it. It took five gallons to fill it.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by wing9956 View Post
      I ran my 2018 Tour down to the low fuel warning, it cam on when the bike showed 40 miles to empty. I road it down until it showed 30 miles to empty and then filled it. It took five gallons to fill it.
      Ditto on that. I think the miles to empty turned into dashes somewhere around 20 miles to empty. At that point I was only 1 mile from a gas station.

It turns to dashes at ten miles to go. I went 8 of those ten and put in 5.44 gallons. I had ridden from Beatty, NV to the TA in Kingman, AZ.

Thanks all, it sounds fairly consistent that there is about a gallon left when the indicators come on, meaning about 40 miles left.
          kiptap - Paul
          Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
          1979 Kawasaki Z 200
          1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
          1996 Honda GL 1500SE
          2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Seems like I read somewhere that the light comes on at just under 1 gallon
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

If you are close to 1 gal it may come on early when going down hill. Mine came on going down hill filled it up only took 4.25 gals still had 1.25 left
              Same happened on my previous interstate 1300

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page