2018 GPS Is Junk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 GPS Is Junk

I just ran my 4th test of the onboard Harman GPS on my 2018 and it failed virtually every test. I used Honda Trip Planner to lay out a route from my coffee shop back to my home with 6 waypoints in between. I gave each waypoint a name in Honda Trip Planner.

1. Navi Volume

Before I even started my route, I wanted to increase the Navi volume to my headset. I clicked on the Navi Volume button, but turning the dial did NOTHING. Clicking the dial to the right only changed the song I was listening to on my USB thumb drive. I tried every button on the bike and nothing would increase or decrease the Navi volume (see video). FAIL

OK, so I learned that you have to use the volume lever on the left hand control to increase/decrease volume. I guess I was thinking it was all menu/joystick driven.

2. Destination address incorrect

I showed this in a previous video. I entered my home address into Honda Trip Planner as "4464 Young Dr., Carrollton, TX 75010", but when I import the route into the onboard GPS, it displays "4488 Young Dr". What the Hell? This has happened on every route I have imported so far. This makes me wonder if ANY of my waypoint addresses are correct. FAIL

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180317_075502.jpg Views:	1 Size:	319.4 KB ID:	92974

3. Starting Point

I set the starting point for the route at a location about 1/4 of a mile from my starting location. I wanted to see if the GPS would re-calculate the route, or offer the choice of beginning the route from my location, or ride to the start of the route first (as Garmin does). I rode right past the route starting point and the GPS continued to want me to make a U-Turn and go back to the starting point. FAIL

4. Waypoint Names

The GPS completely ignores the names you give to waypoints in Honda Trip Planner. Instead, the onscreen display shows "Waypoint 1", "Waypoint 2", and so on. Completely useless. The Navigation audio refers to them only as "Intermediate Destination". In other words, as you approach a waypoint, the Navi announces "Arriving at your Intermediate Destination", instead of "Arriving at Starbucks" or whatever name you gave the waypoint.

At one point, I pulled over to remove a waypoint from the route. I was actually trying to remove the starting "waypoint" since the GPS kept trying to get me to make a U-Turn and I was already 2 miles past the starting point. When I viewed the list of waypoints on screen, once again, it does not display waypoint names, only addresses. Maybe you remember the actual addresses of each waypoint on your routes, but I don't. FAIL

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180317_080320.jpg Views:	1 Size:	324.9 KB ID:	92975

5. Navigation Audio

In addition to not speaking the names of the waypoints, the Navi cannot even interpret "Dr" as "Drive" or "Ln" as "Lane". So, the navi will say "turn right on fairway dr" instead of saying "turn right on Fairway Drive". Very annoying.

6. 8 Waypoint limitation

We all already know about the 8 waypoint limitation, but I put thisat the end because this is the least of the problems with this GPS.

SUMMARY

My conclusion is that Honda really blew it with the GPS on this motorcycle. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if I had known the GPS was this bad, I would NOT HAVE BOUGHT the 2018 Gold Wing. I use the Hell out of a GPS when I travel, and I was frustrated enough with the limitations of the 2012 Garmin system, but it was LIGHTYEARS ahead of this piece of crap.

I am not sure if this system can be salvaged for motorcycle use. I am not sure if this can be fixed. Someone at Honda should be fired over this. I have a $79 Garmin GPS that is much more capable than this useless piece of junk.

IMHO this is the absolute worst feature of this new motorcycle.
    Last edited by Cruiseman; 03-17-2018, 09:24 AM.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

That is disappointing. And I have not bought one yet.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I know on my Nav volume, once I choose Nav volume I can use the regular volume ⬆️ Or ⬇️ Button at the top of the left handlebar. I wonder if you have a defective Nav unit for a warranty claim?

Originally posted by JHawk8 View Post
        I know on my Nav volume, once I choose Nav volume I can use the regular volume ⬆️ Or ⬇️ Button at the top of the left handlebar. I wonder if you have a defective Nav unit for a warranty claim?
        Well, I never thought to try that! I guess I thought it was all menu/knob driven. At the very least, it is NON-INTUTIVE. Once you are engaged with the menu and joystick, it is non-intuitive to have your hand leave the joystick and go hunting for another knob or switch.
        Last edited by Cruiseman; 03-17-2018, 09:32 AM.

I agree not intuitive about the volume but that is what I had to do also. I have received two call backs from Honda concerning the inability to input an address number after typing in the street name. Still unable to do that.

Man send human on moon many years ago... Why Honda ( very small organisation ? ) at the price they sold there product, could not include a GPS for the customer that love to ride.

suggestion....see write up by Greg Rice ( aka travel man) an Iron Butt competitor from Florida...I have a Garmin 2797 based on his former efforts on my '12 and enjoy it for multi day rallies...Greg has a new '18 GW and has up graded to a Dezl 770 ( Garmin product for Truckers) from the 2797... read the attached link - the Dezl is BT compatible. hth

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

Can you not use Maps from an IPHONE? -
                Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

• Cruiseman
                  Cruiseman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't have an iPhone, and don't think you can add waypoints.

"Honda Goldwing Tour" is the Premier touring motorcycle. If they want to continue with that legacy they need to fix it and soon! Not a bandaid but truly fix it...
                Thank you Cruiseman for being so honest and saying what we are all feeling.
                I know it was stated earlier that Honda rushed this to get it out to compete with Yamaha Star Venture, but 4 years of design isn't enough? I find that hard to believe. I can imagine with as fast as technology changes, that you might wait until the later part of design to figure out the GPS and electronics so you have the newest and greatest. The ball has been dropped and now they need to show their ability in making it right! Don't lose your status over such a small issue.
                You have designed, engineered and built an unbelievable motorcycle, don't lose face over the infotainment system. If this was sourced out, start pressing Harmon on this issue and don't allow anymore time to be waisted and negative press.

Originally posted by Thom View Post
                  "Honda Goldwing Tour" is the Premier touring motorcycle. If they want to continue with that legacy they need to fix it and soon! Not a bandaid but truly fix it...
                  Thank you Cruiseman for being so honest and saying what we are all feeling.
                  I know it was stated earlier that Honda rushed this to get it out to compete with Yamaha Star Venture, but 4 years of design isn't enough? I find that hard to believe. I can imagine with as fast as technology changes, that you might wait until the later part of design to figure out the GPS and electronics so you have the newest and greatest. The ball has been dropped and now they need to show their ability in making it right! Don't lose your status over such a small issue.
                  You have designed, engineered and built an unbelievable motorcycle, don't lose face over the infotainment system. If this was sourced out, start pressing Harmon on this issue and don't allow anymore time to be waisted and negative press.
                  Personally, I think they just went cheap. Harman probably saved them $20 per bike for licensing over Garmin. This is the most disappointed I have been over ANY Honda product I have ever owned. And I have owned quite a few.

• workhorse
                    workhorse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have never known HK to be a prominent name in GPS systems. Sorry to hear you are having issues with it.

• kwthom
                    kwthom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm betting it was substantially more than $20 of savings over Garmin. Shoot, it may well have been tossed in for 'free', as long as Harman was able to go and do the rest of the audio system for the '18 Goldwing.

workhorse Apparently, they seem to be: https://www.harman.com/connected-car

Scroll about 3/4 down the page, and you'll see the list of auto/motorcycle manufacturers using their product.

I can tell you that the nav system in my Hyundai works well, and is another third-party sat-nav integration outfit, based in Canada: http://www.compass-nav.com/about-us

• workhorse
                    workhorse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    kwthom, I searched for HK in car systems. They had a brief entry into the auto market years ago and then nothing until this recent connected-car stuff. If the ST1833 GPS offering is any indication of their tech, I will stick with my Garmins.

Hi Cruiseman..... What a shame! I totally agree, this Nav system could be a deal breaker for me as well. I haven't purchased the 2018 yet simply due to waiting to see some upcoming trike kits. I agree, this Nav system is a HUGE integral part of this new wing. Being limited to 8 waypoints along with not showing waypoint names and with the other issues is totally ridiculous. As you, I map/route everything with waypoints and give them names..... who wants to see addresses. This is one of the main reasons for pre-routing. I've have made many cross country routes on my garmin with at least 50 waypoints in the past, probably more. I never had to think about it. Us rider's usually don't stick to expressways and need to have a great Nav system ........ how Honda can be so oblivious to this is beyond me. I could go on but...... I'm just getting P.O. about this and I haven't even bought the wing yet. I feel for you and I'm sure there will be updates to come for a fix on most (fingers crossed) of these issues. Honda needs to wake up.
                  I thank you for your awesome video's giving us rider's GREAT HONEST real world insight of this wing. I look forward to every one of your video's. Keep your head up......... it'll all work out. Ray 😊

Does the GW NOT support apple car play (APP's) anyone that has one should look into it -- It does have a "MAPS" app like Android uses Google maps - Anyone have one?

https://www.imore.com/how-rearrange-...e-apps-carplay

IBA # 40576

• JHawk8
                      JHawk8 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s not about having an iPhone or not. It’s paying 30k for a system that was not ready yet. Yes, I can use another map, but why? After paying that much, the Nav should work properly. I can put my Garmin back on...but why? My funds are not unlimited. I had to save to finally go to a Goldwing. I’d like it to work as advertised.

Originally posted by Westdc View Post
                    Does the GW NOT support apple car play (APP's) anyone that has one should look into it -- It does have a "MAPS" app like Android uses Google maps - Anyone have one?

https://www.imore.com/how-rearrange-...e-apps-carplay
                    It supports Apple CarPlay, but 70% of the people, myself included, do NOT have an iPhone. Plus, I don't think you can add waypoints on a computer and move the routes to the phone. And, if that was Honda's strategy, then why include a GPS at all?

Why have a 7" TFT screen just to see what radio station I am on?
                    Last edited by Cruiseman; 03-19-2018, 05:57 PM.

Thanks for sharing. I see why you are so disappointed and actually makes me wonder who does the quality control checks..if any or maybe they just don't care. I for one will pass on this bike until they get it right.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

I supports Apple CarPlay, but 70% of the people, myself included, do NOT have an iPhone. Plus, I don't think you can add waypoints on a computer and move the routes to the phone. And, if that was Honda's strategy, then why include a GPS at all?

Why have a 7" TFT screen just to see what radio station I am on?
                        I'm sure it does if you have a MAC as well - My 16 Mustang Supports apple car play & Android Which I use for Google Maps has a 10" screen - and GPS unit is an option -but I didn't opt to get it as GOOGLE Maps works Very well.- i use it on my 2012 using my phone standalone. (perhaps) that what you may want to do on the 2018

May be some year Honda will address android

IBA # 40576

This is so disappointing. I still plan on getting a 2018 next year and want Apple Car Play for music, Siri and quick directions with Apple maps, but need a dedicated GPS that can accept routes. I'd be willing to use a bluetooth compatible GPS as long as it would not interfere with the bluetooth connection to the bike's radio/Apple Car Play, etc.
                          --Rick
                          2012 Goldwing

• Cruiseman
                            Cruiseman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Apparently, the BT connection to the headsets does not work so well anyway. Once again, NO testing.

I have to agree with pretty much everything I'm reading here though I do have a few specifics I want to mention. I've had a 2018 Tour DCT for just over 4 weeks and have right at 2,500 miles on it.

1) There are several areas with the GPS as well as with individual infotainment options that the system goes beyond not being intuitive and graduates to inconsistent behavior. I find myself when parked having my hands moving back and fourth trying to decide which knob/button is going to do what I'm looking for.
                          2) Wing 9956 mentions the issue with not being able to input an address number, the system calls it a "house number". I had this issue too and somehow it went away. Initially I thought that I could only enter a street number if I didn't enter a complete street and had the bike present a list I could choose from. A fellow member of the Facebook group 2018 Gold wing was kind enough to post that his wife figured it out. "Not only does the state have to be set, but the zip code is also required!". Give this a shot.
                          3) I thought I had found that the voice guidance worked inconsistently but that turned out to be not correct. If a route is active and I stop for any reason and turn the bike off (not just accessory but actually turning off all electrical), Once I get back on and start the bike the route is still active but voice guidance no longer works. Work around is to clear the route and reactivate by using the previously found destination option.
                          4) There is no way to repeat what Voice guidance said or to speak the next turn point like we could in previous Wings, by pushing in the Zoom button on the left handlebar
                          5) XM Weather showing on the map is inconsistent. It seems it needs to be activated by going into the information section each time the bike is started but even then it only works sometimes. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work but usually if I spend 3-5 minutes trying stuff it will eventually show until the bike is powered off
                          6) I'm not sure what is up with XM traffic.... how is it supposed to work and what should I be seeing? A few days ago in the Daytona/St Augustine area I found an option for refresh traffic on current route, however, the system showed "no data" on the screen.
                          7) Particularly in reference to the XM features, the manuals (Navi and XM) are of little use and desperately need to be QA'ed and re-written by someone who is thinking from a user perspective.
                          8) Other GPS systems, even one I saw on a Harley trike, give much more options - for instance the option to avoid unpaved roads
                          9) I think it was cruiseman that I first heard point out that POI's do not save past powering off the bike. I find this to be true even if the route is still active so maybe this is akin to the issue with voice guidance.
                          10) Thinking we really need a "save" option on the relevant screens so we will know what to do to save an option rather than hovering over the back button and the home button.... and wondering if the option we input was actually saved.
                          11) Perhaps a power on defaults area where we can set those things we always want active regardless.... like POI Gas stations, Voice Guidance, Avoid U-Turns, Also we want to KNOW that when we change these options in a new route that those options are just for that route and not overwriting defaults. Right now I believe it to be guess work.
                          12) For future development it would be safer to have either a default screen we can set, or some programmable buttons. Example: I like to keep the Navi Map on screen but if I go to HOME for any reason, we can use CarPlay for this example, then I have to look at the screen and navigate options to get there and then get back to Navi Maps. Side note: Like many, I'm an Android user but I also wanted to experiment with CarPlay - a buddy gave me an iPhone and I got service for it so I'm really switching back and forth. IMHO this is much more dangerous than some of the other things we're locked out of doing, like going into Navi options and choosing a previously found route.
                          13) Finally for now, again thought for future development would be to use BIKE LEVEL voice recognition so we can navigate the options that make sense and not have to be distracted with the combination of buttons and screen prompts.

Sorry for my long winded post... really I was just going to say a couple of things but in case some weren't known here I thought it a good thing to pass on.
                          Thanks for the patience.

• JHawk8
                            JHawk8 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            great post Ray. Please send that to Honda for their evaluation. I do t think they really understand the shortcomings on their 30k bike yet

• wing9956
                            wing9956 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ray, thank you for a great post and for your input concerning house number input. It works if I input state, city and then street name and do not let the GPS "guess" what I am typing. Not as intuitive as I would have hoped but at least it lets me type in a house number now. Thank you

Btw, pressing the center console button only saves the POI until the bike is shut off, then back to 0. They also still do not show up on your Nav screen, unless you’re in a route. Love for the Nav screen to just post them as I ride.

• Cruiseman
                            Cruiseman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            So, basically, it is useless

This unit sounds awfully like the factory nav unit in my wife's impala. Complete junk. I have never been able to figure out who made it and from reading this thread I think it is a Harmon. Like Chris said about his screen I agree a the impala display is basically a screen for showing what music is playing.

My 2002 GL1800 & my 2008 GL1800 & my 2012 GL1800 all had the Nav system & to my way of thing all were a POS...I have used my Garmin 2720 on all the Wings & will keep doing so...After seeing the Nav problems, and the POS suspension that Mr. Max @ Traxxion has told everyone about...I would be surprised if Honda sells many of the new Wings.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page