•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Impressions Video - Part One

OK, so here it is

GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Thank you, look forword to many more videos.
    2016 GL1800 Candy Prominence Red leval1-bought August 24th,2017
    Clinton,Illinois

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Nice review Cruiseman,

i agree with most of what you said especially the grab handles.... my tbag is pretty much useless now.....

mattbcnv
      2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

I use Sena Bluetooth on my 2006 Goldwing. You can make phone calls from a Sena headset. I read a lot about complaints on this site about Bluetooth and the new 2018 gold wing. if you have blue tooth headsets you need to Bluetooth the devices together in a certain order as described in sena manual. the Sena headsets have a built in phone book (albeit it small) that you can program in phone numbers voice call these number on android or apple phones.

• Cruiseman
          Cruiseman commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct, you can make a call if your Sena is paired directly with your phone, but NOT if your phone is paired to the Goldwing.

Chris, I'm guessing that the paint got damaged during handling and shipping. Back in 2014 I bought an F6B, it was in a metal frame covered with a tarp just like your 2018 Wing. The F6B had cosmetic damage here and there, and the paint on the sides of the saddlebags was marred from where the tarp was rubbing up against the paint (the dealer left the "crate" outdoors for a few days before preparing the bike, and the wind blew the cover back and forth). They need to ship the bike in a box and protect the paint with plastic film like they do on their cars.

• Cruiseman
          Cruiseman commented
          Editing a comment
          Possible, but these flaws were on the TOPS of the saddlebags, not the sides where you would expect a tarp to hit. On the right saddlebag the Service Manager said it looked to him like someone at the factory grabbed the painted surface before the paint was cured. Looks almost like fingerprints.

I'm sure the some aftermarket company will address the Grab Rail issue, I wonder if something like this could be used on those grab rails??

http://wingstuff.com/products/33309-...eat-bolt-combo

Wow Honda offers a different seat...$1000 dollars...LOL...If it really makes a big difference, I guess that is not a bad price..my Ultimate seat was $1750 dollars.

The trunk is IMO a JOKE!!! Why in the heck would Honda make that thing so small is beyond me?? I think I heard, even the saddle bags are slightly smaller?

One thing I will say Chris...I really like the White color...it really looks nice, and I also really like the Brown color on Matt's bike.

John

John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

• Cruiseman
          Cruiseman commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the grab rails bolt in from under the seat. As far as I can see, the bolts are not accessible from the "outside".

The Brown color is very nice, really nice out in the sun truly unique....

mattbcnv

Matt, how come in another thread you told me the grad handles are good?
          Clinton,Illinois

• Cruiseman
            Cruiseman commented
            Editing a comment
            They are OK for lifting the bike up into the center stand, and they feel really solid.

Originally posted by Markcuda View Post
          Matt, how come in another thread you told me the grad handles are good?
          I have a Goldwing DCT and there is NO option for a center stand, my wife and I take vacations in our SUV with our dogs, and if we DO go on a motorcycle trip we take the trike.... No need for the grips, except to make a tie down... also they are very adequate for holding on, raising the bike onto the center stand and anything else they were designed for.... that’s why...and it’s “grab” handles NOT grad handles.....

LOL

mattbcnv

• Cruiseman
            Cruiseman commented
            Editing a comment
            Honda shows a center stand in the accessory catalog.

• JGDJR
            JGDJR commented
            Editing a comment
            Why always correct typos...come on

I may b dislexic(sp)
          Clinton,Illinois

• clayusmcret
            clayusmcret commented
            Editing a comment
            Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!

Originally posted by Markcuda View Post
          I may b dislexic(sp)

no worries... in the next few months after market vendors will be chomping at the bit to find new storage solutions for our beloved wings, despite the “non tie down able” handles.....

mattbcnv

Totally agree with your assessment. I'm using the Apple and CarPlay works very, very well. You can listen to an audiobook, use the map from either the phone or the bike and it has thus far worked well. I would expect far better paint and fit and finish. The doors/closures in general are not of the quality I would have expected on this level of bike (Airbag). I came off a HD and the paint is like night and day better.

Riding it is great though. In auto-mode, the ride is silky smooth and shifts are quick and velvety. However, I took the back roads yesterday in the Ozarks and the sport mode is a beast. Shift points are at higher rpms and the suspension is the best I've ever ridden. We do need a way to secure bags on the rear pillion and when the better half rides with me on a trip, we'll need a hitch because saddle bags are tiny.

Nice factual presentation of what we will see as more and more of as summer approaches and Honda gets more of these bikes sold.

When I was at the IMS. I thought the fit n finished was lacking to say the least.

It became clear real fast, how Honda shaved 90 pounds of weight off the new bike. Much thinner parts make for less weight!!

The front right side pocket door was a joke watching a few guys having a hard time closing it??.
              I figured it out in 3 seconds looking at the closing latch, I seen where you had to apply pressure to get it to close the first time.

Very stupid on Honda's part to HIDE the gas door release in the pocket. (A bad by product of the FOB)

Why not a Fob controlled gas door release button like the trunk/bags to open the gas door? (Those buttons are smaller than a dime)

As a Goldwing mechanic. I have to invest in more 8' TABLES to lay all the parts out carefully, When I work on them.

As the commercial said "This isn't your fathers Goldwing anymore!" (Sorry Oldsmobile)

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
              Current bikes.
              1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
              1986 GL1200 SEi
              2004 GL1800

First of all I feel your review was excellent. Secondly, regarding these grab handles, I was thinking of using these. Loop them around a frame tube and leave them under the seat until needed.

We have not seen a 2018 Wing yet. Sad to hear the paint quality is poor. I did not like the early version of the 1800 in White colour at all. The new version 2018 Wing looks good in White.
                  2013 Red Airbag 1800

Cruiseman, Nice review.

If you ride 2 up, add feedback from the rider in your next video as well as feedback with the bike under load. I personally don't know too many 180lbs Goldwing riders =). Also, compare the computer's reported fuel mileage against the actual measured fuel mileage to see how accurate the computer is.

Will you customize your white wing ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2223.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.2 KB ID:	91876

Upon further inspection, clamps could be machined in such a way to attach to the existing handles for tie downs.
                      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Thank you Cruiseman for the great review!! It's awesome to see a "real world" Goldwing owner giving his/her experience on this wing. Can't wait for your followup! Well done!! Thanks again, Ray

I have those spots in my Red paint too. They look like finger prints, located in front of the side mirrors on the front cowling above the Honda roundel.
                          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Great review! makes me have 2nd thoughts about replacing my current wing.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page