Need help with GPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with GPS

I GIVE UP! Trying to import a custom route, it keeps telling me empty device. I know it's not! Has anyone had any luck importing?

Did you export the GPX file from the Honda Trip Planner website? Outline the steps you followed.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I must be doing something wrong. Rather then print the wrong procedure, why don't you print the correct procedure. I'm at the point of doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result. Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to this matter. This is exactly what this forum is all about!

Here are the steps Thom has tried.

1. Created a route in Honda Trip Planner.
        2. Saved route.
        3. Selected "Export" route (the saved route).
        4. When I tried this, it opens up the route in Mapsource and shows it as an, "as the crow flies" route.
        5. I select re-calculate route and it converts to the route I created in the Honda Trip Planner. So what's the point of using the Honda Trip Planner when I can just use Mapsource, which is a .gpx file by default or Basecamp, which is a .gdb file by default?
        6. From this point, Thom should just be able to save this .gpx route to his flash drive, plug it into his usb port on the bike and import the route when he opens his nav system.

Here is where the problem starts, the 2018 GW Nav says there is nothing on the flash drive to import. We know this is not the case because he opened the file on the flash drive on another computer with no problem.

Are there any "2018" Goldwing Tour owners out there that are experiencing this same problem?

Honda really fell short in outlining a step by step for not only the navigation system but also the Bluetooth method of operation.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Oh! We have a friend who has a 2017 GW and he has no problem creating a route on Basecamp, converting the route to a gpx file, loading it on and SD card and importing it to his nav system.

Originally posted by Thom View Post
          I must be doing something wrong. Rather then print the wrong procedure, why don't you print the correct procedure. I'm at the point of doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result. Thanks in advance for your prompt attention to this matter. This is exactly what this forum is all about!
          That sounds so intuitive, but sometimes ya need to know what's being done to figure out where they're going wrong. I tried helping a brother with his computer over the phone and couldn't figure out where he was going wrong with what I was saying. Finally I said, Tony, what do you see in the window?" He came back with, "Well Steve, I see a red truck driving by." (He was serious.)
          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

It works!!!
            Had success in using Honda Ride Planner. Make sure you click on Save route and then export to GPS. Don't let it open Basecamp even if it wants to.
            Good luck.

I laid out a route on the Honda Trip Planner website with 10 waypoints, just to see what would happen if I uploaded it to the Harman system on the 2018. I copied the route named "TenPointTest" to a brand new USB 3.0 thumb drive (a really tiny one from Samsung that takes up NO space in the glove box).

The GPS found the routes I had created and copied them to the GPS. When I viewed the route, I could see 9 waypoints (perhaps they don't count the HOME point). So, apparently, it will just ignore any waypoints over 8. I have not tested the route yet, but plan to later today.
              GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
              Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page