Would a larger trunk screw up the 2018?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The storage doesn't bother me. I have a waterproof bag I strap on the pillion that holds enough to have covered me for over three weeks on the road. If you are two up riding then a trunk rack would accomplish the same.
    Attached Files
    Dennis

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

The way your bag is secured shows another problem...they should add something serious as a strap connector...

Originally posted by gug1953 View Post
        The storage doesn't bother me. I have a waterproof bag I strap on the pillion that holds enough to have covered me for over three weeks on the road. If you are two up riding then a trunk rack would accomplish the same.
        Exactly! If you want to take a trip you'll figure out a way to accommodate your gear (and passenger, if necessary).
        2018 Goldwing Tour DCT, 1970 Honda CT70,
        2001 Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit
        * Former motorcycles:
        2015 F6B, 2003 GL1800A, 2001 GL1800A
        1998 GL1500 Aspencade, 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
        1983 GL1100 Interstate,1981 Suzuki GS1000-G
        1977 Suzuki TS250

Originally posted by AchimII View Post
          The way your bag is secured shows another problem...they should add something serious as a strap connector...
          They did..Passenger grab handles.
          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

If you just made a new lid, something more boxy, it would add considerable space to the trunk. It would also cost a whole lot less.

Originally posted by wildx View Post
              If you just made a new lid, something more boxy, it would add considerable space to the trunk. It would also cost a whole lot less.
              And who knows, it might even look like an ugly box lid.
              * Former motorcycles:
              1977 Suzuki TS250

Ladies, The point Cruiseman & I were trying to make that went.

Is the fact that a Little more room wouldn't of been hard to accomplish.

Most Buyers of a Goldwing bought it for a two up bike,so their significan't others would ride comfortably with them.

Yes Honda reached out to Solo riders with the F6B. (With a back rest option to bring along a SO)

Honda has been flip flopping the past 18 years.

We all know the GL1500 had the largest Bags and Trunk storage.

Is 2012 Honda enlarged just the bags.

Why is the question,when you consider the fact that the new bike started R&D in 2006.

So here we are with Honda Flipping back to smaller bags & now the trunk too.

So another inch or so (Like Cruisema's pictures) was out of the asking.

Honda clearly should of left the 2 helmet hangers where they were, (The current design in one useless grab handle is asinine)

I'm sure the removal of the trunk lights was a Euro design change. (Some countries don't allow bulbs in them)

As a current owner of a real deal motorcycle. I understand that not every bike needs to carry the house with you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	890.4 KB
ID:	107405

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

There has to be a constant flow of Tools on a bus out there?.
                One gets tired and gets off, another two jump on the band wagon.(Fine entertainment at its best)

Beautiful.
                  PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by Shaken Not Stirred View Post

Yeah, it would... but my thinking is that for Honda they had to draw the line somewhere. Perhaps they started with an even smaller trunk in the design phase and increased it to this? I'm just spit-balling here... it's always easy to say, "Why not just add a little bit more" but at some point you got to settle on a decision. lol

Given that it seems clear they were looking to make a sportier and sleeker Goldwing with this redesign, I'm guessing the ability to fit 2 full-face helmets in the trunk just wasn't a priority. Which has probably rubbed a few GW riders the wrong way, but I doubt those people are necessarily the target audience any more.

Ya, as we unfortunately say at work, "the minimum wouldn't be the minimum if it wasn't good enough". Personally I think that the trunk is where a large number of people wish to stow their helmets, so, they, Honda, should have gauged the size of two helmets from several of the common manufactures and allow them to fit in the trunk as the minimum. It almost looks like about an additional 1/2" in height would do it comfortably, especially with "almost mandatory" Bluetooth units attached.

The rear trunk hangers are nice but I would prefer to keep my helmet upright and secure, I used them a few times on my 1500 when the trunk was loaded. I have LidLox installed on my 2018, however I usually just bring the helmet with me. I can fit my helmet in the trunk, but its somewhat of a puzzle to find the right spot and I would rather not scratch it while pushing down while it is in the wrong spot. If I add the drawstring helmet bag, I would surmise it would not fit without flexing the lid or pressuring the locks or something.

I can understand the slimming everything down, but I think a lot of the gripe would have been mitigated with a trunk that would hold two average full face XL sized helmets at the minimum. I don't see a viable argument as to minimum cubic liters other than maybe backpack recommendations, Weekend (1-3 nights; 30-50 liters), Multiday (3-5 nights; 50-80 liters), Extended-trip (5+nights; 70 liters or larger), otherwise it could be the size of a clutch purse for that matter.

It's also useable space. I have a hard time packing ridged items in the saddle bags due to shape and stuff sacs just fallout sideways due to the clam shell closure design. I'm strongly thinking of working on some bungee cargo net type nets that will hold the items in while the bag doors are open, was hoping for an aftermarket solution by now.

I looked back at Cruiseman's photos and it's really hard to tell an inch here or there, but then again, somebody had to draw the line. I really think a pair of helmets would have been a good trim-down stopping point.

kiptap - Paul
                    Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
                    1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                    1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                    1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                    2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Originally posted by GWRider View Post

And who knows, it might even look like an ugly box lid.
                      Always with the negative waves Moriarty!

I see an aftermarket lid in the future.
                        PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Rocky
                          Rocky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Honda certainly left the door wide open, for a need for one.

Although - I can't see any vendor getting involved selling color matched painted accessories??
                          Doesn't mean it can't happen down the road?.

• Cruiseman
                          Cruiseman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It would be an expensive option. It would require a mold to be produced and probably have to be fiberglass. ABS injection molding is outrageously expensive for low volume runs. Then, there is the paint matching issue.

Guess I'm one of the guys Honda built this bike for. I never would have purchased an '18 if it had remained as large as the previous 1800s. Most of my 'trips' are 3 or 4 nights. A time or 2 a year I might hit the road for 7-10 days but seldom find myself more than 3 days from a laundromat so I'm good with about 3 changes of clothes. And according to what I've read that's what Honda found in their studies and that's who this bike is designed for. ALWAYS a "why didn't they do this, or that, or the other". Can't have it/do it all so go with the majority.

Even traveling without luggage, I would want to lock up two full sized helmets; especially (as I think I have read you folks suggest) with helmet locks no longer on the rear. Having someone steal my helmets in a store or restaurant parking lot would ruin a day - having no way to get home without someone bringing me helmets or finding more to buy. Seems to me they didn't go either or...they went neither.
                          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post
                            Even traveling without luggage, I would want to lock up two full sized helmets; especially (as I think I have read you folks suggest) with helmet locks no longer on the rear. Having someone steal my helmets in a store or restaurant parking lot would ruin a day - having no way to get home without someone bringing me helmets or finding more to buy. Seems to me they didn't go either or...they went neither.
                            You are correct. (Most feel the same way)

The problem most are ignoring is helmet storage. Inside the trunk or on the seat?.

So you ride solo. Where you locking the helmet to the bike if a bag is sitting on the pass seat?
                            I can't fathom anyone letting the helmet hang on top of the left bag lid?. (With a bag sitting there when you stop to eat)

So you either BUY "Grip locks" or take the helmet with you.

If you've traveled enough-You know the safest place for helmets, are locked to the bike (So they don't get dropped or scratched)
                            You'll have to take them with,if it's raining. (Trailers aren't just sexy-They are for securing my stuff!-label me spoiled)

I think we all know who Honda's target market was. (It certainly isn't the geriatric crowd)
                            But they stiffed everyone in the process!

************************************************** *******
                            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

There has to be a constant flow of Tools on a bus out there?.
                            One gets tired and gets off, another two jump on the band wagon.(Fine entertainment at its best)

Originally posted by Travelingman View Post
                              Guess I'm one of the guys Honda built this bike for. I never would have purchased an '18 if it had remained as large as the previous 1800s. Most of my 'trips' are 3 or 4 nights. A time or 2 a year I might hit the road for 7-10 days but seldom find myself more than 3 days from a laundromat so I'm good with about 3 changes of clothes. And according to what I've read that's what Honda found in their studies and that's who this bike is designed for. ALWAYS a "why didn't they do this, or that, or the other". Can't have it/do it all so go with the majority.
                              I agree, I can store all my rain gear, heated clothes, helmet in my trunk or saddlebags. I love my 2018.
                              PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post
                                I've always had one of these on my clutch handle on previous Goldwings so i had a temporary/secure place for my helmet other than the seat, but now I have a 2018 Tour DCT I've mounted it on my front brake handle.

http://wingstuff.com/products/36683-...?from_search=1

Now that the bike doesn't have a lock (or for some folks, a larger trunk), I hang my helmet on the pin and use an Oxford LidLock and string the coiled cable between the handlebard and the cables on the handlebar

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxford-Lidl...d6aa%7Ciid%3A1

* Former motorcycles:
                                1977 Suzuki TS250

Originally posted by GWRider View Post
                                  Now that the bike doesn't have a lock (or for some folks, a larger trunk), I hang my helmet on the pin and use an Oxford LidLock and string the coiled cable between the handlebard and the cables on the handlebar.
                                  After a time or two putting my helmet in the trunk and finding it a bit of a pain in the arse, I got some Lidlox (from Cruiseman, oddly enough. lol) and love them.

I suppose the only issue would be heavy rain, but in that case I'll just take the helmet with me. Definitely a first-world problem and I can live with that. haha

Originally posted by kiptap View Post
                                    I can understand the slimming everything down, but I think a lot of the gripe would have been mitigated with a trunk that would hold two average full face XL sized helmets at the minimum.
                                    That‘s the point. Stopping at a location, throw the two helmets in the trunk, one jacket in each bag, that‘s it. Even more when the first press release was talking about ‚fit two helmets‘, and a whole bunch of reviewers failed to get them stored.

As said, it works with two Nolan N40 with detachable chin bars, using waterproof hipbags instead of a front compartment, and an extra bag on the trunk rack, but you have to buy your gear for that high priced tourer.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page