Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traded in my DN-01 for a red 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT on Aug 3rd from Pinnacle Motorsports. I’ve put about 1100 miles on it so far and love every aspect of this bike. It handles extremely well and is so much smoother than what I was used to. My only complaint at this point is the shifting of the DCT. The upshifting is not bad at all, but the downshifting is a little more jerky than I would like. I read on another post that when people reset the DCT they saw improvements with the downshifting so I’ll be trying that when it stops raining and I can get some riding in.

I had side bags and a top case on my DN-01 and I can tell that the amount of storage on the Goldwing is less than what I had. I’m hoping to plan a trip in September so I’ll see if the smaller luggage area is an issue.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I have the DCT, Tour model with the cb installed at my Dealer, Taylor Honda of Woodburn , Oregon. I have the pearl white. I really like the transmission. The gps lacks big in comparison to Garmin. I do miss the storage of my '05' 1800. But the DCT makes it worth trying to figure out hauling the stuff I really need. Downsizing some didn't hurt too much. Really like the lektrik windshield. And the tpm system. Did I tell you I like the DCT???????

This is my review after 4000 miles for my blue 2018 DCT Tour. I really like the bike. There is a small learning curve but I am past that. I ride 80% in Tour & 20% in Sport mode. Usually I use the Auto mode and like to accelerate hard. I usually manually downshift -I feel it is smoother. I like to be a gear lower while accelerating in corners. Accessories added include Lidloc, Grip Puppies, Honda trunk rack , Honda trunk rack LED light, Rivco highway bars(Rivco powder coat does not match Honda silver on frame --so I did my own), Ram drink holder and Wingsoft seat improvement. The seat is improved but still not that comfortable. On my 2010 wing I had a Ultimate seat & was really happy with it. When(if) they come out with one I will probably get it. Peg location is not as comfortable for rider or co-rider as previous wings. I may go to floor boards( peg guy) I dont program tons of Waypoints -so GPS is OK with me. Mileage is 44 mpg(happy with) I really dont see how these folks with 50+ mpg do it???

Have about 2K miles on my DCT Airbag. Dealer, Panama City Florida, installed CB, XM Antenna, 12V outlets. After riding for a month, I love the DCT. Cannot believe how BAD the GPS system is. Gas mileage 42+ mpg. The TPMS was inoperative when the bike was delivered. Fixed itself after one week. Shut down bike by lowering the sidestand. Apparently I didn't kill the ignition, and the next morning the battery was dead. Fort Walton Beach Dealer recharged battery. CB radio now dead. No highways pegs is a BIG annoyance. After 150 mile ride, the Stock seat covered with sheepskin from Alaska Leather was not too bad. Been using Sena 20S helmet headset bought for my Harley, and works fine.

• Which model did you purchase? (Gold Wing, Gold Wing Tour): The Gold Wing Tour (White)
            • Which transmission? (6-speed manual, DCT): The DCT
            • What dealer did you purchase from? Cycles of Jacksonville (FL)
            • What do you like MOST about your new Gold Wing? : 1st I like the overall handling, performance and ride modes, 2nd the electric windscreen, 3rd the DCT.
            • What do you like LEAST about your new Gold Wing?: 1st the GPS (shame on Honda for putting such a limited/lacking GPS on such a high end bike), 2nd less storage (would help a great deal if trunk lid was a little less sloped or was higher so helmets would fit), 3rd smaller gas tank (should be at least 6 gallons).
            I added the Rivco AERO Flip-Out hiway pegs but they should angle back a bit more to keep ones foot more in line with your leg and foot would stay on peg better (I advise Rivco as such at the Knoxville WingDing). I also added extra padding to driver seat (at the WindDing by Bike Solutions) as mentioned in a Cruiseman's video. It's helped comfort for me.
            Haven't seen the 20% improvement in mpg yet but I don't have many miles on yet and I ride rather conservative re. acceleration and not much over speed limits. Hopefully will improve as it breaks in.
            I read on a forum someone desired larger diameter handle grips. I installed on my 2012 and now my 2018 some Grab On Grips Grip Covers (foam grips). You can buy some or similar on Amazon too (< $15). They work great and are comfortable with or without gloves.
            Also added several Honda accessories (air deflectors, trunk rack & under mounted light, saddlebag USB, driver backrest, Homelink (garage door opener - wanted to use my Flash 2 Pass from my 2012 but was advised it may not work/interfere with the canbus wiring on the 2018), and LED fog lights.
            I want to add some handlebar risers since the reach for me is too much and my shoulders ache on longer rides but have only found those available by Helibar. I'm concerned with the angle of the bars with them added (based on on-line picture comparing without and with). It seems like ones wrists would be stressed on long rides since the hands are not aligned with the arms (bent outward). So I'm waiting to see if any other aftermarket ones come out. Kury stated they aren't working on any. I put some Kury ones on my 2012 and it made a big difference for me. If anyone knows of some please advise, or if you have tried the Helibar risers please advise if you like them or not.
            Also want to add front fender extender like I did on my 2012 to keep road debris/dirt from hitting cowling but I haven't found any yet. If anyone knows of some please advise.
            And lastly [for now ;-) ], I want to add from Electrical Connections the kit to also turn that trunk accessory LED brake light into a running light plus the kit to add flashing brake light when brake is applied.

I hated the Oldwing until this new model came out. I respect that that old behemoth was a good bike. I would never have bought one. I did have a slight thing for the F6B but I never did pony up money for one. When I heard Honda was FINALLY going to update the road couch I was interested. I have riden the older version and thought the motor was fantastic but the rest did not move me. I love the new bike. So much so I bought a White touring model with the 6spd tranny. It is lighter then the out going road barge. It handles better. She has modern tech finally. I think Honda did a fantastic job. I am the younger crowd Honda was looking for. Most of my bikes before this were Italian. Now my friends call me Ching Ching Charlie. I have no problem with the storage capacity. She gets better mileage then the old freighter so the smaller tank works just fine. She looks so nice, not boulbous like a road blister. Yes I hate the older wings. While they are good bikes, I dislike them. The new girl, while large, is so pretty and she dances like a fat ballerina. I am not a chubby chaser but this new Goldwing is sexy. Thank you Honda for building a bike for the next generation. I salute those of you who do not understand the new machine or dislike it. I must respect my elders. Keep yelling at us youngsters to get off your lawn. In 20 years when Honda updates this bike again I’ll probably understand your gripes better. Karma is like that. Until then ride what’s in your garage. Unless it’s that ugly Yamaha thing, yucky.

Hi Cruiseman

I really need a help with this. I’m 5.2 tall with 28 inseam! Will I be able to handle a goldwing tour 2018 ?

I will appreciate any reply’s even from you guys. Thanks

I picked up my 2018 gldwing DTC Friday, silver. Already added home link, center stand, and floor boards. Wife has a CTX 700 DTC. I love this bike more than previous generations! Only put on 50 miles today but very pleased.
                idrove 11 hours each way to get it from Honda of Russellville. Great buying experience. Patrick did a great job and everything was as he said it would be when I arrived!

New to Goldwing and the forum so here goes, first post:

Bought white DCT Tour, 2 weeks ago from Cycleshack North, Conroe Texas for reduced price ($24,599) and a good price for my trade in. Been riding for 40years, this is a good bike shop with good mechanics.

Immediate mods included:
                  24" F4 windshield - 24" was the right choice as 20" would have been too short
                  Bikesolutions (College Station, Tx) reworked the stock seat cushion, rider and passenger - much better!
                  Helibars to get the grips back a bit - this moved grips 3" back and 1" higher (perfect for me)
                  Utopia backrest.

Note I am 6'2" with 32" inseam and 34" sleeve.

Am removing the backrest as I ride double almost 100% of the time and my bride of 30years was hurt today when we bounced the bike (Rode over an unexpected sharp dip in the pavement) and she was bounced forward and down onto the metal mounting bracket.

Only have 550 miles so far and took a lot of getting used to DCT and still adjusting to the bike's hard downshifting when coming to a stop but am glad I went with DCT.

Am getting a lot of thumbs up from HOG riders so the bike must look ok underway.

Rode about ten miles on freshly grooved (very uneven) highway today and although the bike tracked a bit wavy it was way better than it would have been on a smaller bike. The forks and steering were all tight and true, was really pleased!

We use the Sena 20 communicators and music from an android phone. This works pretty good.

Hope this is useful guys.

• pwood12
                    pwood12 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Since you really added some nice items, I thought I would suggest a couple more items for you to consider. Look at Traxxion Dynamics for Shocks & Springs and passenger grips. Also, Lidlox helmet locks for hanging both helmets on end of handle bars instead of the lousy holder from Honda. I added these items and I am thoroughly pleased.

Originally posted by Frostie View Post
                  New to Goldwing and the forum so here goes, first post:

Bought white DCT Tour, 2 weeks ago from Cycleshack North, Conroe Texas for reduced price ($24,599) and a good price for my trade in. Been riding for 40years, this is a good bike shop with good mechanics.

Immediate mods included:
                  24" F4 windshield - 24" was the right choice as 20" would have been too short
                  Bikesolutions (College Station, Tx) reworked the stock seat cushion, rider and passenger - much better!
                  Helibars to get the grips back a bit - this moved grips 3" back and 1" higher (perfect for me)
                  Utopia backrest.

Note I am 6'2" with 32" inseam and 34" sleeve.

Am removing the backrest as I ride double almost 100% of the time and my bride of 30years was hurt today when we bounced the bike (Rode over an unexpected sharp dip in the pavement) and she was bounced forward into the metal bracket.

Only have 550 miles so far and took a lot of getting used to DCT and still adjusting to the bike's hard downshifting when coming to a stop but am glad I went with DCT.

Am getting a lot of thumbs up from HOG riders so the bike must look ok underway.

Rode about ten miles on freshly grooved (very uneven) highway today and although the bike tracked a bit wavy it was way better than it would have been on a smaller bike. The forks and steering were all tight and true, was really pleased!

We use the Sena 20 communicators and music from an android phone. This works pretty good.

Hope this is useful guys.
                  Welcome aboard! Sounds like your purchase went well. Sorry to hear about your wife getting bounced like that. Mine would have busted my chops for weeks over that one. Be sure to post photos and safe riding!!
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

2018 Gold Wing Tour Manual from Hollister, CA Honda. My 5th Honda in 45 years. ’73 CB350, ’83 V45 Sabre, ’91 ST1100, ’05 ST1300. I like the electric windshield like my ST1300 had. I wanted the modern features, gear indicator, TPMS, integrated audio, heated grips and seat. I added wired J&M headset, SXM antenna, 12V power outlet. After break-in, I tried Sport mode, WOW, impressive. I wish I could mount my radar detector/navigator and dash cam on the dash rather than on a long RAM mount from the clutch reservoir. And I wish I could integrate the RD and my Navigator into the audio system.

I finally pulled the trigger 2 months ago and bought a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT (Candy Ardent Red) from Canyon Honda in Caldwell, ID. Having been a rider for almost 50 years, I am use to manual transmissions so I had some reservations about the DCT until my wife bought a Goldwing DCT in July. This gave me the opportunity to check out the DCT for several hundred miles and I have to say that I really love it!

I would also like to also comment about negative publicity regarding the fuel and storage capacity of the 2018+ Goldwings. My first Goldwing was a 1983 GL1100 which i bought new in October 1982.. This bike had smaller storage capacity than the 2018 Goldwing AND it had a 5.3 gallon gas tank. I was able to easily compensate for the "lack" of storage by mounting a trunk rack and strapping a duffle bag (green US military issued) on top of it when riding 2-up -- otherwise i would strap the duffle bag to the passenger seat if riding solo. I did not have any issues carrying my tent, 2 sleeping bags and air mattress.
                      I put over 100k miles on that bike riding both 2-up and solo throughout the Northwest, Northern California, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and 3 western Provences in Canada. Not at anytime did storage or gasoline capacity come up as an issue. NEVER! And my trips were 1-2 weeks long. I did this every year for 10 years until I traded my 1983 for a 1993 GL1500 Goldwing. Those of us who had a 1500 know that the 1800's in 2001 had smaller saddle bags whcih Honda modified in 2012 and made them larger. I just traded in my 2003 Goldwing for my 6th Goldwing -- 2018 Tour -- and do NOT understand the negative chatter about cargo capacity AND fuel capacity - especially with better gas mileage! Also, I keep my rain gear, etc in my trunk and have never needed to put my helmet(s) in there. That is what helmet locks are for.

Let's Ride!
                      • 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
                      • 1970 Honda CT70 (3sp man auto-clutch - my first "DCT")
                      • 2001 Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit
                      • Goldwing rider since 1982

Hi all,

Achim from Germany.

I never had a Wing, or was a fan of the old versions. Too heavy, too much „showbike“, looked kinda cool, but not me.

My last bike was a R12GS LC. Great bike, but high seat, and my wife complains about getting on it. She was still in love with our former R12RT.

So I made a stop at our local Honda dealer this July to have a look at this new Wing, what ends up with a all black Tour/DCT/Airbag.
                        We only have 3 options here, Wing, Wing Tour with manual gear box or the all inclusive version.

Added upper and lower air deflectors, Honda custom seat, fog lights, carpet and bags, V-Stream 20“ and the trunk rack with brake lights.
                        • What dealer did you purchase from?
                        local, his parents maintained my NTV650 in the 90s, now the son has taken over.
                        • What do you like MOST about your new Gold Wing?
                        Strong engine, DCT, much easier to handle than expected, new front suspension (used to BMW Telelever), good seat (custom seat even better, with more support for my butt without the extra backrest), logical software and less but intuitive controls
                        • What do you like LEAST about your new Gold Wing?
                        The loading capacity. It‘s not so much the 110 liters, but you can‘t get a helmet in the side or two in the back. Solved with two Nolan N40 and a SW Motech bag.

The missing compartments in the front, solved with a water resistant SW Motech hip bag.

A pain to drill holes and disassemble half of the bike to add Honda stardard parts (Thanks for Cruiseman‘s videos)

For the V-Stream, it does not work as expected, so I‘m waiting for the F4 20“. With 5‘11“, I can look over the 20“ set down and read the street 20‘ in front of the bike, while up it is the best protection at high speed. Hope the F4 will let less wind to me and my lady. The V-Stream seems to push in my back when up.

Overall, we are happy to trade the GS for the Wing. We have 2.500 miles on it now, 2.000 with 2 up. Load capacity is ok for hotel, no camping. Seat is comfortable, riding position ok (I‘m not used to highway peg’s). Funny, I use the nav unit for A -> B navigation and I‘m happy with it. Nolan BT works fine, too. We are not into that chrome and LED stuff, so our Black Beauty is ready to run for the next years.

Cheer‘s,
                        Achim

I purchased a blue manual Tour model from Honda of Houston. They matched the price of the dealer in Sherman, Texas. Great dealership. I had a ‘96 GL1500 SE and the first thing I noticed when I sat on a 2018 was that the handlebars were more forward than the ‘96. I almost passed on the bike, but after a test ride in Sport mode I was hooked.
                          So far, I have installed a Show Chrome backrest, Helibars risers, USB cord in the saddlebag, Goldstrike highway pegs, Goldstrike Big Ass drink holder. I will be installing the Honda trunk rack and Goldstrike trunk light. The Goldstrike stuff is expensive but well built.

2018 Blue Tour with DCT, purchased from Honda of Houston in Dec. Been doing business with them since 2006 - great CS and sales. As of now, I have a little over 6K on the odometer. I most like the maneuverability and responsiveness of the bike. I want a bigger trunk, and an AM/FM radio that works without so much static. Need more vacation days and time off for riding.

2018 Blue Gold Wing Tour DCT purchased from Middletown Cycle Middletown, OH

What I like best is the light handling and power delivery of the motorcycle.
                              What I like least is the odd interior shape of the storage areas which make it hard to pack.

Bought a new 2018 DCT tour about a month ago from Schroaders Honda in Hendersonville, N.C. Great buying experience. I have about 1500 miles on the bike so far. I had a 2004 gl1800 with 114k miles when I bought this one. Some things I like on the new bike are, great handling, awesome brakes, and so far the DCT is wonderful. I am concerned that issues with shifting are surfacing on several forums.

Things I don't like. Seat was terrible. Replaced with a Corbin. Not sure that was the right move either, hard as a brick. We will see. The passenger area is much smaller with no cubby holdes and the grab rails are worthless. Helmet holders are worthless.

Summary: I wish Honda would have made a Heritage model that kept all the comfort features of the previous models but included all the technological advances including the front end improvements. This bike is not as comfortable as my 04 but it does handle much better and is easier to ride. It should have been labeled ST 1800. It most definitely is not a GL1800 by previous standards.

Yea me too, a FB6 with the technology would be a home run in my opinion!!

mattbcnv
                                  2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page