X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Goldwing Wing Member Reviews

I wanted to start a thread where our members can post their review of their new 2018 Goldwing Wing and Gold Wing Tour. After you rate your INITIAL IMPRESSION (poll) of your new Gold Wing, take a moment to share your thoughts on your new bike.

Please include the following information in your review:
    • Which model did you purchase? (Gold Wing, Gold Wing Tour)
    • Which transmission? (6-speed manual, DCT)
    • What dealer did you purchase from?
    • What do you like MOST about your new Gold Wing?
    • What do you like LEAST about your new Gold Wing?
    5. Far exceeded my expectations!
    32.56%
    4. Exceeded my expectations.
    38.37%
    3. Met all of my expectations.
    20.93%
    2. Not as good as I was hoping for.
    3.49%
    1. Not pleased. I preferred my old Goldwing.
    4.65%
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I picked up my bike on Saturday from Honda of Russellville. Had a great buying experience. The new Gold Wing is a giant leap forward. The new suspension is fantastic. There is virtually no transition of vibration from road into handle bars. The DCT Transmission is very very nice. The shifts are almost unnoticed whilie riding. No jarring from up or down shifts. The DCT shifts very firm in Sport Mode and much less so in Economy and Rain Modes. The fuel economy is all over the board depending on what Mode the is. Sport Mode is poor and to be expected. Tour Mode is better but not great. Economy Mode is good but I found only useful on wide open flat roads. Rain Mode is nice in the rain and really adds an extra layer of safety. I am concerned about overall fuel economy. I road home mostly in Touring Mode and My average fuel economy was about 37mpg according to bikes computer. The Apple Car Play Feature is awesome. Using Siri thru the Sena 20s is very nice. I used this feature to ask for a breakfest resturant in Paris TX. Siri found a Dennys in the area and the bike routed me directely to the restaurant without stopping. There are many features to be accessed while " In Motion" including almost all phone features (calls, texts, etc) Using Spotify is very very cool. The factory GPS is much improved also. Now the ETA to destination is more accurate the previous bike. The seat is great with no complaints. The only major issue I had is with leg position. The new bike puts the driver feet more toward the rear of the bike. Highway pegs are a must for me. My knees were killing me after my 350 mile ride home from Antlers OK to Magnolia TX.

Over all I am very very happy with the bike. Just a few things need to be dialed in to fit my riding needs but I am sure the aftermarket will address these few short falls.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Honda Mark
      Honda Mark commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Keith for the ride report and thank you for buying from HOR and me. I appreciate your business!!!

• Road Glide
      Road Glide commented
      Editing a comment
      I too really, really like these bikes. Took both 6 speed manual and DCT auto out from my local dealer here at the DFW Honda in Grapevine, Texas. Truth be known, I’m going to find be second guessing myself on which tranny to choose to pull the trigger on. Absolutely agree on needing highway pegs. A must have on long hauls. Thanks for the details.

GLKeith, thank you for taking the time to post your experience. I was concerned about the rider foot position. Also, was curious how tall the windshield goes, since I am 6'4" and wondering if I need to include the taller windshield when my 2018 comes in. Thank you

Nice write up Keith.
      Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
      Current bikes.
      1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
      1986 GL1200 SEi
      2004 GL1800

Hey Keith, thanks again for the visit this morning!

Keith, thanks for the write-up. BTW, how tall are you (inseam)?

Originally posted by GLKeith View Post
            I picked up my bike on Saturday from Honda of Russellville. Had a great buying experience. The new Gold Wing is a giant leap forward. The new suspension is fantastic. There is virtually no transition of vibration from road into handle bars. The DCT Transmission is very very nice. The shifts are almost unnoticed whilie riding. No jarring from up or down shifts. The DCT shifts very firm in Sport Mode and much less so in Economy and Rain Modes. The fuel economy is all over the board depending on what Mode the is. Sport Mode is poor and to be expected. Tour Mode is better but not great. Economy Mode is good but I found only useful on wide open flat roads. Rain Mode is nice in the rain and really adds an extra layer of safety. I am concerned about overall fuel economy. I road home mostly in Touring Mode and My average fuel economy was about 37mpg according to bikes computer. The Apple Car Play Feature is awesome. Using Siri thru the Sena 20s is very nice. I used this feature to ask for a breakfest resturant in Paris TX. Siri found a Dennys in the area and the bike routed me directely to the restaurant without stopping. There are many features to be accessed while " In Motion" including almost all phone features (calls, texts, etc) Using Spotify is very very cool. The factory GPS is much improved also. Now the ETA to destination is more accurate the previous bike. The seat is great with no complaints. The only major issue I had is with leg position. The new bike puts the driver feet more toward the rear of the bike. Highway pegs are a must for me. My knees were killing me after my 350 mile ride home from Antlers OK to Magnolia TX.

Over all I am very very happy with the bike. Just a few things need to be dialed in to fit my riding needs but I am sure the aftermarket will address these few short falls.
            Great intel there sir. Do you by any chance ride with a backrest. I'm 6'2" all legs and my back is toast. Sounds like I may need a different saddle to keep knees out of the lower fairing.
            STURGIS 1993,

A friend of mine has a 36 inch inseam and when he sat on the new Gold Wing he said it had more and better leg room than his BMW K1600GTL. He said he liked the riding position over all better than his BMW and way better than the old Gold Wing. His knees were on the fairing on the old Gold Wing. The main thing we need is a good set of Hwy pegs. Hopefully soon!

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                Keith, thanks for the write-up. BTW, how tall are you (inseam)?
                34" inseam

Originally posted by Trailboss View Post

Great intel there sir. Do you by any chance ride with a backrest. I'm 6'2" all legs and my back is toast. Sounds like I may need a different saddle to keep knees out of the lower fairing.
                  I had Honda back restcinstalled at dealer. It looks good however I wish it was larger. I rode 350 miles and My knees were killing me. I need highway pegs ASAP!

• Trailboss
                    Trailboss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good to know, many thanks

Love the new bike! Thorough review here:

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mot...ip-to-key-west

Great write up on the new wing. Thanks

I will do some edits to what I sent you and post this evening.

These are just my personal observations comparing the 2010 up to the 2018. Maybe this will help some during the decision process.

Now have just over 1,600 miles two up and 2,200 total. The bike was also fully loaded without rear trunk rack at this time.
                        Sorry in advance for the spelling and grammar but had to do on my phone lol.

- Wobble at low speed:

I didn't experience this but was pushing to get home. Will test with load and passenger over our 1,400 mile trip next week. We will be fully loaded.

I had no issues at all during tight turnarounds. Steering is light and can perform slow tight maneuvers much easier than the previous wing.

Update: Much easier turning this wing around and had to do so several times due to the GPS. I just never felt like I was fighting the bike at slow speed like on my 2013. I would often go very wide for turns on my 2013 but now, it is extremely compliant.

- Tire noise:

This trip I rode with face shield down due to the cold and will confirm next week as well. Always ran the Bridgestone Exedra tires on the 2013, and in the curves, I had this issue as many others with multiple tire manufacturers. With the new front suspension, this was not the case. My 2018 has the Bridgestone tires as well.

*** No tire noise at all but on Florida roads, I only came across a few curves. Jokingly I would tell my wife to get ready for the curves we did come across. I am ready to get the bike to the mountains!!

- Highway wind buffeting

I don't ride the highways much but didn't feel a big improvement. The improved aerodynamics is great but the reduced weight had the tractor trailers moving me around a bit. This was mostly in tailwind after 30 yards or so of the truck. Pretty standard I guess.

TODAY WAS A FAIRLY BREEZY DAY GOING FROM TREES ALONG THE ROAD TO OPEN FARM LAND. SOME OF THE GUST DID UPSET THE BIKE BUT NOT ANYMORE THAN THE PREVIOUS. WIFE HAD NO ISSUES WITH HEAD BEING PUSHED BACK OR WIND PUSHING ON HER BACK. OVERALL SHE FEELS THIS HAS IMPROVED.

IN EARLIER POST I MENTIONED WE HAD NEVER HAD A HELMET BUMP. WELL I DID EXPERIENCE THIS ONCE TODAY LOL. SHE SITS CLOSER THEN PREVIOUS SO FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING. BREAKS WORK😁

- Rider comfort

For me, the new seat and riding position is a huge step forward. I always found myself moving around and repositioning to be comfortable. The OEM seat just hit in bad places and would press on my sciatic nerve, especially when putting my feet down. The Ultimate seat I added was a great improvement though. With the 2018, I found I could sit in one spot for almost the entire ride. At 500 miles I was moving a little but not much. For me, I won't require an aftermarket seat unless the wife needs it. Excellent comfort in my opinion!

STILL FEEL THE SAME THAT THE COMFORT IS BETTER. AGAIN I AM SURE THIS VARIES DEPENDING ON YOUR SIZE AND OTHER VARIABLES.

- Passenger comfort:

OK THIS WAS HER FIRST RIDE AND WITH WINTER AND SELLING THE 2013, SHE HASN'T BEEN ON A BIKE SINCE NOVEMBER.

FOR HER THE COMFORT ISNT BETTER OR WORSE SO NEUTRAL IS THE BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE IT.

WHAT SHE LIKES:

- SHE IS UP HIGHER AND LIKES THAT ALTHOUGH SHE STILL LOOKS AT THE BACK OF MY HEAD.

- SEAT CUSHION AND SUSPENSION ABSORB THE BUMPS MUCH BETTER. GOING OVER BRIDGES AND POTHOLES ARE SO MUCH SMOOTHER. BEFORE SHE WOULD LEAN FORWARD IN ANTICIPATION OF THE JARRING BUMP.

WHAT SHE DISLIKES BUT MORE INCONVENIENCES:

- THE SMALL COMPARTMENTS ON THE SIDES OF THE BACKSEAT BEING ELIMINATED. JUST A SMALL ONE.

- AFTERMARKET HIGHWAY PEGS. SHE LIKES STRETCHING OUT SO HOPEFULLY AN AFTERMARKET SOLUTION SOON.

- ARM / ELBOW REST. I HAVE THESE BEING SHIPPED BUT WITHOUT YOU HAVE TO PUSH YOUR ELBOWS BACK TO FAR AND DOESNT FEEL NATURAL.

- WHEN GETTING GAS THE BIKE NOW LEANS OVER MUCH MORE. FOR GAS AND GO SHE HAS TO EITHER GET OFF OR FORCE HERSELF TO THE RIGHT SIDE.

- SEAT HEAT WAS THE SAME BUT THAT IS FINE WITH HER. AS FOR RIDER IT DOES GET WARMER.

*** Well after 1,600 her opinion has changed a bit on the comfort. She now feels the previous seat was more comfortable after a few back to back days. Are longest day was just under 400 and we typically stop about every hour. For her just a little to firm and may push on her sciatic nerve causing her knees to hurt. I may look at a gel pad or wait to see the custom seat but in any case, we will improve before our trip out west.

- Seat Height:

Actually it sits slightly higher, but it was just myself as rider and no gear setting. Typically, we are both on the bike so will add more later. Just for reference, I am 5-7, 210 lbs. with 30" inseam. As for the rear seat height, my wife sat on it with me yesterday and she is a good 2+ inches above. I was surprised by this and felt it could be related to the more forward ride position and more firm seat. I like it though.

- Luggage capacity:

WE ARE ON THE ROAD FOR 10 DAYS AND DIDNT HAVE TO CUT BACK MUCH. HONESTLY MAYBE NOT AT ALL SINCE WE DONT HAVE THE RACK YET? I HAVE THE FIRST GENERATION GOLDWING SOFT BAGS AND ALL THREE WORK FINE. THE AFTERMARKET LOOK TO HEAVY AND PROBABLY TAKE UP TO MUCH SPACE BY THEMSELVES. WITH THE THIN BAGS, YOU CAN MANEUVER BY PUSHING INTO THE NOOKS AND CRANNIES. THAT SAID, CLOTHES WILL BE MORE WRINKLED. WE DID BRING THE RAIN GEAR AND HER HEATED JACKET, POWER CORDS FOR CARDO AND CELL PHONES. WITH A TOP RACK AND BAG WE WONT HAVE ANY ISSUES.

*** Still feel we won’t have issues. That being said, during the cooler months it will be slightly more challenging.

The trunk rack was on the front porch when we got home so I am anxious to get that installed. Once we can move our rain gear, heated jackets and shoes to a top bag, we will be just fine. This will free up so much space in the trunk for additional clothing and small cooler.

- Navi:

Like the display and it did route me home mostly without a glitch. That being said, I wish it posted speed limits like the Garmin in my Civic. The 8 waypoints is a problem as well. Bottom line-I wish it was a Garmin. Other concern is that when you set a waypoint you must stop or it will keep redirecting you back.

NOT SURE WHY BUT COULDNT GET THE GPX FILES FROM THE USB UPLOADED. THEY DONT EVEN SHOW UP. I AM USEING HONDA TRIP PLANNER SO NOT SURE OF IT IS JUST ME. ON A FEW OCCASIONS, THE GPS DOESN'T FIND THE ROAD AND SHOWS YOU RIDING ADJACENT TO IT. AFTER A FEW MINUTES, IT WOULD SNAP IN PLACE.

*** Same issue with the GPS not finding the signal and tracking off the road. Had two occasions when it just didn’t have the roads correct at all. It just wasn't accurate to the city infrastructure on two occasions. We will need android Auto I hope.

- Infotainment:

I don’t have an iPhone and hope for Android auto soon. Once I change work phones in July, I will test it. I may even activate my wife's old IPhone to test it sooner

- Front suspension:

Love the feel and watching it work through the openings. I was on some pretty rough pavement at times and it just soaked up everything. So much of an improvement!!! I also feel the rider, passenger with bags is the best ride.

- Windscreen:

Love the adjustability as expected as well as the height at both tallest and lower settings. (Not looking at the edge anymore.) I am 5'-7"

In the fully lowered position, it will give nice airflow on the hot days.

MORE AIRFLOW ON ARMS AND LEGS FOR RIDER AND PASSENGER. THIS WILL BE NICE ON HOT DAYS BUT MAY NEED THE EXTRA LAYER FOR THE COOL MORNINGS.

*** Wife enjoyed the full lower setting at 85 degrees. Once up to 70 so nice to adjust back up on the fly.

- Rider leg position and pegs:

For me, I love the position and never felt the need to stretch them out. I had zero leg fatigue after such a long trip and was amazed by that. I hope everyone has the same outcome.

*** After some back to back days I would dangle my leg to stretch. Inseam is only 30 so have a few inches from soles flat to pavement. I likely won’t purchase highway pegs for this bike. For me it is so much sportier that I don’t think the look will be good. (Just my opinion). On the other hand, if they make the passenger pegs I may consider them. Have to keep her happy 😁

- Rain protection:

Rode about half the trip back in rain, some heavy. In the air pocket, I was protected well. During the heaviest time, I didn't even have my rain suit on and for the most part stayed dry. On the other hand, passing trucks shed lots of water to the side and with the display so exposed, it would get covered making it hard to see the Navi at times.

Probably situational. Rain does come up under the screen as well but not that much.

*** Never hit rain on this trip with wife.

- Engine heat:

Need hot weather to determine, so maybe next week.

HAD ABOUT 81 DEG BY THE END OF THE DAY. AT STOPLIGHTS I DIDN'T NOTICE THE HEAT AND FEEL IT IS BETTER.

*** No issues at all. At 85 deg the newly positioned fans work well pushing the hot air outward

-Rider fatigue:

I know everyone will be different on this one. For me, this was the best surprise for sure. I have never ridden a bike for 600 miles and felt so good after! I had zero fatigue, absolutely zero! Awesome!!

*** Wife needed to stop more often but that is fine with me. As stated above I will be exploring seating improvements for her.

- 6 speed MT:

Love the refinements, but didn’t push the limits during this ride. The shifting is so much smoother than previous model. No clicking, clacking or clunks, lol. I had zero false neutrals as well. Huge improvement

- Sound system:

Need more time and didn't Bluetooth connect. From what I was getting with FM, I dont believe it is as good. Not sure I would invest in the upgraded system though, due to loss in trunk space. (Will hold out for other aftermarket options.)

- Drone noise i.e. NVH found on DCT is it the same on MT?

I did have this experience and noise was present whenever I was getting on the gas. For this ride, I also had the face shield down and if up, I don’t think I would notice it as much. I also forgot to pack my ear plugs.

*** With communications on and face shield up I have completely forgot about this.

- Controls:

Need more time to evaluate with exception of horn button. Should be in the location of the reverse in my opinion.

*** After more thought I am appreciating the new horn location. Yes I liked the previous position but remembered I would accidentally hit the horn typically in traffic. Lol

- Center stand:

Maybe some small changes and with the reduced weight, the bike snaps back quickly and with much less effort.

*** Side stand I wish was longer though as it leans over much more

- Paint:

The new paint looks great and is a big improvement in my book. The depth it projects is fantastic.

One thing to be mindful of is paint sags and orange peel. I didn't have the orange peel, but did have a sag on the left panel under the mirror. Fortunately, Russellville Honda pointed this out and gave me options. I chose to change out the panel with the demo bike.

The wheels appear to be painted now as well. I had issues oxidation under the clear coat on the 13 but not sure if this started with 2010. I believe the 2001-2010 didn’t have the coating.

I believe the 2018 are a big improvement and hope so.

*** Under different lighting you may find some imperfections. I do see some dimples or small creases but believe it is actually with the plastic injection parts. Curious if anyone else has this. Fuel lid is one as well as trunk side panels.

- Mirror effectiveness:

Once adjusted, I had zero issues and they are just fine. Yes, the previous have a slight advantage, but the 18 fold in and just look darn good!!

- Foot warmth:

Less protection and honestly didn’t notice any engine heat through the vents. That being said, I didn't figure it would, so not a concern for me.

- MT clutch pull:

Much improved as well and agree with the reviews. Easily 30-40% less as designed.

I had very little fatigue. I would like to have sport bike levers for this bike and will be researching this.

- Bike washing:

Not bad at all, but has a few areas around the engine that take a bit more work. The only other issue is sharp edges. Be careful around the exhaust shields and the brake rotors. The squared off edges in the spoke area of the rotors is sharp and did get my finger (twice). Just a minor observation I thought I would share.

- Headlights:

Road about 4 hrs in the dark without moonlight, with last 2 hrs. spent in fairly heavy rain. The new lights are steps ahead of the previous, especially out to the side view. Even in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway, I could see well to the sides. I ended up riding with the bright lights on to get better distance for some of this time and didn't have anyone flash me. Maybe they just understood the conditions with being on a bike and thought who this nut is! In the end, if I add fog lights they would be to add additional visibility and maybe a bit more distance. Overall, I feel they are a very good improvement.

*** Nice weather home and wanted to finish last night. The bright lights are impressive but cars not so forgiving on a two lane. So much better.

Summary:

Overall the new 2018 Goldwing is so much of an improvement!! Almost everything our customers requested, the designers addressed and then some. Early concerns on the luggage
                        Capacity may be valid for some but in my opinion I will take the new styling, reduced weight and improved handling any day of the week for this sacrifice. This is a small price to pay for all these great improvements.

For myself and my wife we are the target customer because of the type of riding we do. We don’t do many day trips and mostly 3 or 4 day trips and 1 or 2 week trips once or twice per year. For a 9 night trip one week ago we had zero issues with luggage capacity and I don’t have the top rack installed at yet. We will do laundry on a two week trip.

I got mine last Saturday, all I can say it is a big change from my 1999 GL1500. I have only been able to do 150 miles so far, so this is a quick review. I have to say that I have not found any paint issues in my Pearl White paint job but I will definitely be looking even closer. Sent an e mail to my dealer this morning with my first three concerns: right side saddle bag open button has to be pushed twice to open and even then I have to pull it open with my fingers (hoping this can be adjusted), the top storage/cellphone compartment has a sticky push button for opening it, I have to push it back up into the latch, and third, the windshield has a color halo/corona when riding into the sun. maybe it just needs a thorough cleaning.

The new clutch is great, smoother quieter shifting, no false neutrals. Bluetooth connection to my new HJC helmet with J&M BT-03 was easy and works well. The seat is a big change from my Diamond seat on the old bike but so far I find it comfortable but like I said only have 150 miles in the saddle so far. The front suspension is amazing but you do have to remind yourself not to get distracted by it while you ride, the front end feels solid. The brakes are great, definitely an improvement.

I do love the new bike!

• Cruiseman
                            Cruiseman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Go over your paint under fluorescent light from various angles. My flaws are almost impossible to see in direct sunlight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RightSaddlebag.jpg
Views:	1450
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	91993

A cloudy day or flourescent light is the easiest way to see these flaws in the clearcoat.

• INTHEWIND
                            INTHEWIND commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Honda is replacing some panels on my Red bike.

Mine has those spots, red tour. Look like finger prints. Went to dealer yesterday and had them take pictures and document them. I also had him document the fuel lid door mismatch and my left saddlebag doesn't always fully open, it releases and opens up about an inch. Terrible QC at Honda.
                          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

I got to test ride a DCT today. Liked everything about the bike. The issues of storage, seat, horsepower, and fuel mileage don't concern me. I need a good rider backrest that hits me in the small of the back and I can ride forever. Really liked the handling and the DCT. BUT.... If Honda offered the DCT Tour in that bronze color, I'd trade in my Harley right now. The red, white and blue look great on our flag (stick it NFL) but they don't do anything for me on the bikes. Some black accents would help.
                            STURGIS 1993,

Caged it up to Spokane this weekend for the Spokane Motorcycle Show. A local dealer got a white Goldwing in on Friday (still available) and made it to the show on Saturday. I was happy to get to poke around and drool. Spent about five minutes in the seat and felt right at home. The SO sat in the passenger seat a bit and thought the space was smaller but comfortable enough. The grab bars were reachable for her. Could they be removed and machined to provide attachment points? No detectable paint flaws in the pearl white. I have a white 08 and this paint is a clear notch more beautiful. Compared to the other “touring” bikes at the show it looks sleek and fast. The view from the front with the LED’s blazing is awesome!

2018 blue DCT tour bought from Mid-Cities Honda.......great place to buy a bike!

great bike !

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page