New Gold Wing Audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gold Wing Audio

So just wondering if anyone has yet listened to the Stereo on on of these new Wings? I , along with quite a few others, were a bit disappointed with the fact that Honda went to 4" speakers. Then, it seems they don't even offer their best audio out the gate with an amplifier and speaker kit upgrade as an optional accessory. I know enough about audio to know you can get some pretty good performance from smaller drivers if design is right. However , it is limiting to see 4" drivers? I have fully customized my audio on my 13 F6B. It sounds awesome, but I guess that when I do upgrade, I'll be concentrating on in helmet sound quality. We will see.

Not being one to blast the world with my music choices (editorial comment there), I use my speakers once a year at a small town Christmas parade where several of us tune to the same channel playing nonstop Christmas music. Otherwise, I live on the headphones. I would have been happier to hear that they had removed external speakers altogether.
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

One of the Long Beach IMS show attendees said it sounded terrible. Don't know what he was listening to (AM, FM, MP3, etc.), or if was the upgrade or stock. Will have to wait for more feedback.

Somehow I knew there would always be someone who doesn't care about good sounding stereo on a bike. I've even had some who said but after hearing mine, come to me asking what they can do... But to each their own.

I'm hoping for the best. I'll be hanging onto my F6B for a little while anyways.

Seems like an oversight on Honda's part , if they are truly trying to attract younger riders.

I've posted this on another forum. One difference is the drivers are now vented into the full rear trunk as opposed to very small enclosures on the previous gen, at least on my 2005.
          Attached Files

I hope you are wrong. To me the current wings radio is OK at best. I plan to listen to BT 90% of the time and hope that J&M takes the ear speakers seriously. It is ridiculous that a $100 pair of any brand of headphones sounds better than their ear speakers

Originally posted by jimmytee View Post
              Somehow I knew there would always be someone who doesn't care about good sounding stereo on a bike. I've even had some who said but after hearing mine, come to me asking what they can do... But to each their own.

I'm hoping for the best. I'll be hanging onto my F6B for a little while anyways.

Seems like an oversight on Honda's part , if they are truly trying to attract younger riders.
              It's not that I don't care about good sounding stereo on a bike. Far from it! I spend a lot of time and effort increasing the quality that I, along with my passenger hear on my bike. I just wish I didn't have to listen to the music coming from other bikes, regardless of the brand of bike or the person's musical taste. Why would anyone within earshot have to listen to my music? No difference than if I were diddy-bopping down the street with a boombox on my shoulder or driving by in my truck with the windows down with the amp raised to the roof. Great sounding stereo should be heard by the people on THAT bike, not everyone nearby on the street. It's a personal preference - my own - not to hear someone else's stereo overpowering the music coming through my headsets.
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders

• workhorse
                workhorse commented
                Editing a comment
                Same reason as loud pipes, but plays more than one tune and can be turned off !!!

• Kit Walton
                Kit Walton commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree if I want to listen to my radio or speak on my CB it will be through my head set. Just hope the new Wing will provide the jack needed to plug it in.

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

It's not that I don't care about good sounding stereo on a bike. Far from it! I spend a lot of time and effort increasing the quality that I, along with my passenger hear on my bike. I just wish I didn't have to listen to the music coming from other bikes, regardless of the brand of bike or the person's musical taste. Why would anyone within earshot have to listen to my music? No difference than if I were diddy-bopping down the street with a boombox on my shoulder or driving by in my truck with the windows down with the amp raised to the roof. Great sounding stereo should be heard by the people on THAT bike, not everyone nearby on the street. It's a personal preference - my own - not to hear someone else's stereo overpowering the music coming through my headsets.

I would bet that most want a good sounding speaker system on their touring bike. I've answered lots of questions and spent a lot of time on this subject with others.It has been a subject of many long threads . Documenting my steps with pictures and arrows so to speak for others to follow. There isn't much for audio upgrades on Gold Wings. Coming up with good quality options was a challenge.

I have a volume button on my stereo that allows me to turn it down. Yes that nature of an open air motorcycle means that when playing my stereo, others might hear it as I go by. I assure you that is temporary .

I've played with headsets etc.. They don't come close to a high end sound system..

I hear ya, but with all due respect, I was posting about what the sound system on the GL1800 might sound like. I really don't want to argue about it though. I respect that you have a different opinion. Just wasn't sure how that opinion furthered the conversation about the topic.

• clayusmcret
                clayusmcret commented
                Editing a comment
                It's all good. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post
              Not being one to blast the world with my music choices (editorial comment there), I use my speakers once a year at a small town Christmas parade where several of us tune to the same channel playing nonstop Christmas music. Otherwise, I live on the headphones. I would have been happier to hear that they had removed external speakers altogether.

Remember there are 31 states that don't require helmets. We need external speakers.

Originally posted by darts1 View Post

Remember there are 31 states that don't require helmets. We need external speakers.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	811
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	87879

I fired up the radio at the LB IMS show. My bike had the premium audio on my '07. It sounded leaps and bounds better than the new wing. The smaller cheaper speakers, aiming of speakers, and power to them was horrible. I don't know if the bike at show had the amplifier or not. But it was the red one on the stage. Didn't have helmet to test but likely the signal to bluetooth helmets would similarly be just as faint/weak. The new bike clearly is NOT for entertaining!

My current setup Is Kenwood Exelon 5 ch amp, Focal coax up front, component in rear, with 6x9 as subs in bags.
                  Attached Files

• workhorse
                    workhorse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the feedback on the audio. The root-beer colored bagger that was on the stage had the upgraded sound system in it. Don't know if the red tour did or not.

What audio were you trying to listen to (AM/FM, MP3, etc.) ?

Originally posted by dxlnt1 View Post
                  I fired up the radio at the LB IMS show. My bike had the premium audio on my '07. It sounded leaps and bounds better than the new wing. The smaller cheaper speakers, aiming of speakers, and power to them was horrible. I don't know if the bike at show had the amplifier or not. But it was the red one on the stage. Didn't have helmet to test but likely the signal to bluetooth helmets would similarly be just as faint/weak. The new bike clearly is NOT for entertaining!

My current setup Is Kenwood Exelon 5 ch amp, Focal coax up front, component in rear, with 6x9 as subs in bags.
                  That's disappointing but not surprising. This was a concern by many when you compare offerings by other manufacturers. How do those 6 x 9s sound when actually riding? I had originally thought of installing 2 subs or 6 x 9 speakers with one in each bag facing the rear wheel like you have there. I was concerned with whether I'd really hear them while rolling down the road.
                  I instead opted for a JL Audio mini Sub in the left saddlebag and vented the bag in three discreet locations . The vents are protected with a product called Frogzkin that allows air but not water to pass through. The sub can easily be removed if I want the storage capacity, but I simply love the sound to much and have found other ways to pack.
                  I replaced the factory stereo system completely with a Rockford Fosgate hide away unit. The main part resides in the place the original Honda "Audio Unit " was located under the passenger seat. Then there is a control unit that is located where the factory control panel used to be. I have the system integrated with the OEM handlebar controls.
                  The speakers up front were replaced with Hertz component speakers and I added Hertz 6.5: marine speakers in fabricated speaker pods in place of the left fairing pocket and the right cover over the radiator. All the speakers and sub are powered with a JL Audio 5 channel amplifier.

• hemivtx
                    hemivtx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    how did you intergrate with handlebar controls

Originally posted by jimmytee View Post

That's disappointing but not surprising. This was a concern by many when you compare offerings by other manufacturers. How do those 6 x 9s sound when actually riding? I had originally thought of installing 2 subs or 6 x 9 speakers with one in each bag facing the rear wheel like you have there. I was concerned with whether I'd really hear them while rolling down the road.
                  I instead opted for a JL Audio mini Sub in the left saddlebag and vented the bag in three discreet locations . The vents are protected with a product called Frogzkin that allows air but not water to pass through. The sub can easily be removed if I want the storage capacity, but I simply love the sound to much and have found other ways to pack.
                  I replaced the factory stereo system completely with a Rockford Fosgate hide away unit. The main part resides in the place the original Honda "Audio Unit " was located under the passenger seat. Then there is a control unit that is located where the factory control panel used to be. I have the system integrated with the OEM handlebar controls.
                  The speakers up front were replaced with Hertz component speakers and I added Hertz 6.5: marine speakers in fabricated speaker pods in place of the left fairing pocket and the right cover over the radiator. All the speakers and sub are powered with a JL Audio 5 channel amplifier.

Man that looks good.

The 6x9's make a huge difference. Not only hearing but feeling as well. Fills out cockpit. Sound is right after system was finished. Didn't crank it then but I have. Clarity is amazing which is what I was after. Not a ghetto sound just crystal clear sound

Sounds pretty good. The JL Audio Sub I have puts out a lot of bass I can feel and hear even at 80 mph. I do believe that one of the big reasons for this is 2 vents are facing into the air pocket created by the fairing. This is a little clip I took a couple months or so ago. My phone's recording ability really attenuates the volume and lower bass. I just don't have a better way to record.
                    I have the Hertz HSK130 speakers in the factory location and the Hetz HMX6.5S in the custom location with the JL AUdio micro sub in the left saddlebag. powered by a JL Audio XD700/5v2 amp.

I have JL Audio L112s in my home theater. I have been happy with their quality and can only imagine how good your bike set up sounds

Originally posted by dxlnt1 View Post

Man that looks good.

The 6x9's make a huge difference. Not only hearing but feeling as well. Fills out cockpit. Sound is right after system was finished. Didn't crank it then but I have. Clarity is amazing which is what I was after. Not a ghetto sound just crystal clear sound
                        Found recording of stock sound.

I guess I am in the minority. I only listen to my speakers when working on the bike in my garage. I always use the headset speakers in my helmet when riding.
                          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I heard the tour's 4x4"-speaker version last week. Hint, keep you ear-buds and IPOD.

4" = 12.57 sq inches
                            5.25" = 21.65 sq inches
                            6.5" = 33.18 sq inches

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                              I guess I am in the minority. I only listen to my speakers when working on the bike in my garage. I always use the headset speakers in my helmet when riding.
                              I guess we both are. The only time my speakers have ever been on outside the garage or driveway was during a Christmas parade we ride in. Yep, to play Christmas music for the crowd. Otherwise, I couldn't tell you that they exist.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                                I have a system in my garage to play music while in there.

• workhorse
                                  workhorse commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Me too. Laptop, W4S USB DAC, AdCom amp, speakers and OB-dipole sub (JRMC-64-bit, Pandora, Spotify, internet radio, etc.).
                              Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page