Honda Smart Key

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Smart Key

Just wondering will Honda give you two Smart Key Fobs like most car dealerships do?

I am gonna say...no
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
      I am gonna say...no
      For some that might be a deal breaker

I would bet that they will.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          One to use, one to lose.

Originally posted by Rocky

Honda only gives you 1 Fob & 2 keys,for the current GL1800.

I see no reason why they'd change a policy they have had in place for 17 years?.

I'll buy a second Fob just because, Like I did when I bought this bike.
        The difference being that before now, you did not need the fob to operate the bike.

The bike will let you know when the fob battery charge is low, as indicated by the "key" icon on the dash. A spare battery on the bike is a good idea. I am probably going to get a second fob at purchase, keyed to the bike of course. Now...where to hide this second key without losing it, locking it up so it is inaccessible, .....argh lol. This is the "bleeding edge" Fellas! If you're getting the 18GW/GWT now, then you have to accept some teething pains!

No the point is that on previous bikes, Honda supplied two keys to start the bike, so it would make sense that they would also supply two fobs to do the same. Just the same as all auto manufactures do that have gone to keyless start.

Probably should ask a Honda rep at the IMS show. Maybe they will know.

• jmohme
                jmohme commented
                Editing a comment
                I would think that dealers that are taking orders could find out easily enough.

Originally posted by Rocky
              They don't address the Lost Fob with the emergency key stored in it.

According to the manual, the fob contains the built-in key.

The emergency key is separate; that's the one to put on your backup key ring. The key code for manual activation of the electrical system can be saved anywhere: phone, wallet, etc.

It would be nice to have two fobs. Of course, it would nice to get the fog lights without having to buy a separate kit to actually, ya know, use them, too. Unbundling is a modern curse.

I just bought a second smart key and the dealer said I shouldn't have both keys on at the same time. Has anyone else heard this and if so why?

Originally posted by RichWestland View Post
                  I just bought a second smart key and the dealer said I shouldn't have both keys on at the same time. Has anyone else heard this and if so why?
                  I have not heard of this, but it kind of makes sense. Why drain the battery of the second fob until you need it?

They just give you one and a emergency key to get in to your bags if your locked out. There is some good info here to order a replacement Fob with god directions on how to program it. Hope this helps Good Luck
                    2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

I have my second FOB w/o the battery in it stored on the bike. You do not want to leave both keys on.
                      Dennis

Originally posted by gug1953 View Post
                        I have my second FOB w/o the battery in it stored on the bike. You do not want to leave both keys on.
                        That's what I did too, except Im leaving the battery in mine. Now I won't lose the original FOB, now I have a spare.
                        PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

I bought an extra fob from a website, (wingstuff) and the key from a local dealer...it was 10 but included cutting....my original fob battery lasted 13 months, its the only one i carry at a time unless im going on an extended mileage trip..only the original is actually "on" even when they are both with me.

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
                            There is some good info here to order a replacement Fob with god directions on how to program it. Hope this helps Good Luck
                            I could be wrong?.

But if I'm not mistaken.
                            The only way you are going to get instructions from "God".
                            Is not on a motorcycle forum!.

But in fact only through "Knee Mail" . (Just saying)
                            ************************************************** *******
                            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page