Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth comms

Has anyone had any experience with Bluetooth communications? I’ve never used Sena, Cardo or any of the other types of communications. I’ve always used hardwire stuff mostly J&M.

I ride with a large group of gentlemen who are all still using CB technology. Therefore, doing away with the CB and just going to Bluetooth communicators is a nonstarter for me. I’m a little skeptical but maybe it’ll work great what are your thoughts?

I had a set of Scalas before I bought my first GW. We only talked between my wife and me. Bluetooth has advanced greatly since then.
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I have Sena 10's and 20's and J&M. All work fine with my BMW. The J&M has the best music sound quality in my opinion.

I am using the Sena 20S in conjunction with the Sena Freewire (see review).
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• mattc
          mattc commented
          Editing a comment
          But Cruiseman, correct me if I am wrong here. You currently use the Freewire for connecting wirelessly to your CB correct? But your current bike is not a "Bluetooth Bike" like the new 18GWT. So, because the new 18GWT has three embedded BT antennas that will sync the bike to the Sena 20s, you don't need the freewire on the new bike. Right???

• Cruiseman
          Cruiseman commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct that with the 2018, the Freewire is not required. The bike will connect directly to the 20S. And, even though the Freewire WILL allow you to connect to a CB wirelessly, I do NOT have a CB. The Freewire allows you to connect ALL of your Goldwing audio to Bluetooth (XM/AM/FM/NAVI/CB).

Thanks for the feedback guys. If I pull the trigger, I'm sure it will work

Originally posted by MajorThom View Post
          Has anyone had any experience with Bluetooth communications? I’ve never used Sena, Cardo or any of the other types of communications. I’ve always used hardwire stuff mostly J&M.

I ride with a large group of gentlemen who are all still using CB technology. Therefore, doing away with the CB and just going to Bluetooth communicators is a nonstarter for me. I’m a little skeptical but maybe it’ll work great what are your thoughts?
          Honda will be offering a CB radio for the 2018 models, but you would still need a Bluetooth headset to communicate. So, you don't have to give up riding with your CB buddies.
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

From ST_Jim in a parallel universe:

In case anyone is interested...

Took me a while to find it, but if you do an FCC ID search on "Harman Automotive Information Systems" as the company, out pops FCC ID "2ACRLMKCAU". There are boring reports, the power levels, plus external and internal photos of the actual GL1833 radio box. And a User Manual that looks like what Harman gave Honda to put in the Owners Manual. Granted 06/06/2017.

It's a shielded box with 3 remotely mounted plug-in Bluetooth antennas. Nothing we didn't really know already, except power levels of 0.126mW, 3.01mW, and 6.08mW. A lot weaker than the 50mW Sena uses. Oh, and one radio is a combo Bluetooth/Wi-Fi radio with the Wi-Fi disabled in software. The other two look to be CSR/Qualcom BC57G IC's.

Speculation: maybe Wi-Fi was intended to run carplay, but it ran the iPhone battery down too fast. So they needed to hook up the lightning connector to keep the iPhone charged? It doesn't really matter as even with a software update this box can't run Wi-Fi, as it hasn't been tested and approved in that configuration. Makes me wonder if there with be a gotcha with implementing android auto.

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor..._id=2ACRLMKCAU
            Nice find!

In reading the RF exposure limits report, it seems that it was dialed down to allow passing, per FCC's 447498 D01 (General RF Exposure Guidance) requirements.

The hardware overall can not exceed 10mW output for a BT signal; the radio sample put out 9.216mW

...and THIS will be why bike-to-bike communications with existing hardware on the motorcycle as delivered, will be insufficient and very, very short range.

I have a brand new Freewire I am selling for $175 shipped.

My husband and I have Sena 10s since 2015. It works very well for us. Our phones and GPS are also paired with the headset.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page