Clear All

• 2018 tutorial video

The navigation system is Harmon
    https://youtu.be/pQLtH4dFA6M

WOW, thanks chromax!

SBB

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Never heard of a Harmon GPS.
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Very informative. Thanks for posting.

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post
          Never heard of a Harmon GPS.
          Me neither i believe its harmon kardon a samsung company I think the whole infotainment system is theirs. They are mostly automotive see here.
          https://www.harman.com/connected-car

I just wonder if this is not a mis pronunciation? I have never heard of Harman and is sure sounds alot like Garmin.

However, if it IS Harman, then I guess we can forget being able to map our own routes using BaseCamp. Not good for me.

Also, if it is Harman, which is a Samsung company, why integrate Apple CarPlay and not Android Auto?

For motorcycle touring, a GPS without the ability to lay out a route on a computer and upload to the bike is worthless to me. GPS systems always want to route you the "fastest" way, which means Interstates. I like to take backroads. Riders do not use a GPS the same way drivers do. So, if this is the case, I will be forced to add an aftermarket GPS. That would be disappointing. My guess is, they assume everyone will use the mapping on Apple CarPlay (which I do not have).
            Last edited by Cruiseman; 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM.
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Surely, this CAN'T be true???? Someone tell me, that I will be able to create a route, load it (somehow) to the bike, and have the onboard Nav guide me through the route that I have created. That would be INSANE that Honda would do that. There must be something that we are missing????

Hey all, just got off the phone with my Honda dealer asking about this. We all know what a big deal it is to be able to create our own custom (twisty) routes, then loading those routes to the bike and being guided on that route with our onboard navigation. The new 2018 Goldwing (as I understand it, and the dealer is getting and taking training courses as we speak on this new bike) will NOT have the traditional SD card slot in the trunk to load a route, BUT, this new bike will be able to guide you on custom routes. Below is just one way that I found to do so. As we get closer, I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me will refine this or other procedures, but point is....If we are going to be early adopters of this new 2018 Goldwing then we need to understand there will be a steep learning curve for us as we lead the way. If we take the time to understand it (especially apple car play) we might just find that this bike can do more than we ever imagined. Paradigm shifts for us I think is going wireless and the navigation system changes. The below procedure looks a bit cumbersome, and I'm sure we can tweak this, but IT CAN BE DONE!

Create a Custom Route and Send It to Your Phone

Using Google Maps, you can create a custom route and send it to your phone. You can save it offline if you have an Android device, but not with an iOS device as of this writing. However, iOS users can cheat it, as I'll explain.

In this scenario, we want to make a custom route between two or more points using Google Maps on a laptop or desktop computer. Then we want to save that handmade route and send it to the phone. An example: You want to take a scenic route from one point to another that passes at least one specific landmark, and the most direct route does not pass the landmark.
                b
                1. Go to maps.google.com on your computer. You need a Wi-Fi or data connection for this part.
                2. Make sure you're signed into Google.
                3. Search for point A and find directions to point B.
                4. Once the route appears on screen, hover your mouse over the route starting at the point you want to diverge from the fastest route. A dot will appear with the text "Drag to change route." Drag that dot to your first landmark.
                5. Repeat for as many landmarks as necessary until you have your desired route.
                6. On the left side of the screen you'll see a link that say "Send directions to your phone." Click it, and you might see a few options for how to send the route, such as email, text, or a specific phone that you have signed into Google services. Select your method, and you should soon receive a link that will open your custom route in the Google Maps mobile app.
                7. If your phone has a Wi-Fi or data signal at this point, you should be able to open the custom route.

• kwthom
                  kwthom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maxes out with ten (10) data [way] points currently with Google Maps on the desktop. Been this way for at least a couple of years' now.

• Cruiseman
                  Cruiseman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Useless for my purposes. Some of my routes have 75 way points

• clayusmcret
                  clayusmcret commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Chris, same here.

I'm sure there are limitations will need to be worked around (at least initially if we first adopt). Then I'm sure aftermarket or youtube or something/someone will 'show us the way.' I'm playing with googlemaps right now and have managed to modify a fictional route from my home to Paint Bank VA. Dragging it over to the twisty roads was actually pretty easy. HOWEVER when I try to 'send that twisty route to my iphone' it comes up with no modifications in it (ie the fastest route instead of my twisty route). I'm sure there is some operator error and I will continue to play with it. But where there is a will...

Originally posted by mattc View Post
                  I'm sure there are limitations will need to be worked around (at least initially if we first adopt). Then I'm sure aftermarket or youtube or something/someone will 'show us the way.' I'm playing with googlemaps right now and have managed to modify a fictional route from my home to Paint Bank VA. Dragging it over to the twisty roads was actually pretty easy. HOWEVER when I try to 'send that twisty route to my iphone' it comes up with no modifications in it (ie the fastest route instead of my twisty route). I'm sure there is some operator error and I will continue to play with it. But where there is a will...
                  I think the new bike is great, but I am getting tired of adapting to inferior technology. Seems like a lot of technologies are taking steps backwards. I like that the current Garmin system announces my waypoints as I am approaching them. It is far from perfect, and not as good as a stand-alone GPS from Garmin, but at least I can use Basecamp to create my routes. I think Honda pulled this tech from their auto division, and again, drivers do not use a GPS like a bike rider does.

• clayusmcret
                    clayusmcret commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For years, no matter what the technology, I have found that every upgrade comes with a downgrade.

Doing a quick internet search, it looks like Harmon had a few portable units @ 10 years ago with mediocre customer feedback that are now all discontinued. It looks like they made a system for Mercedes @ 10 years ago.

This is the only thing I have found more recent.

http://news.harman.com/blog/harman-e...ced-navigation

I have had a few different GPS brands over the years (boat and road) and have had the best luck and most accuracy with Garmin.

The really crappy thing about this is that I just bought the $800 latest MC Garmin with the adventure routing which I have really enjoyed. Now that I've ordered my new 2018, I won't be able to use that feature on the oem unit. Oh well, guess my Versys is going to have a great GPS shortly.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

I think the new bike is great, but I am getting tired of adapting to inferior technology. Seems like a lot of technologies are taking steps backwards. I like that the current Garmin system announces my waypoints as I am approaching them. It is far from perfect, and not as good as a stand-alone GPS from Garmin, but at least I can use Basecamp to create my routes. I think Honda pulled this tech from their auto division, and again, drivers do not use a GPS like a bike rider does.
                      I hope they didn't pull this from their car division. I have a Acura MDX and the infotainment/nav system sucks big time. If I do a search for a local store it is more than likely to direct me to the next state.I wont work with my cellphone and Acura's response is that it is not on the approved list. It is so bad my wife wont use it. So hopefully it is not from the car division but a whole different system.

• RodG
                        RodG commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I agree about the MDX GPS being as dumb as a rock! The old Garmin GPS 3 I had on my GL1500 in 1999 was more useful than the MDX nav. I do like the ability to overlay weather radar on the GL1833 Nav (w/ XM antenna option installed), as Garmin had moved away from XM/weather in recent models. I am very dependent upon route planning & downloading to the bike GPS. If Honda has made such a stupid move as to curtail our ability to download routes, I will likely add a Garmin 595LM. What a shame if true ...

Couldn't agree with you more....... Honda's Nav needs to be addressed. If not, I would have to resort to mounting my fairly new Garmin 595LM. That would really be a shame to have two Nav systems on board for such a "high tech" bike. Just my 2 cents..... Ray

Like many of these automotive suppliers, they are all focusing their energy on the "autonomous car" boondoggle. It is a fantasy dreamed up by the likes of Elon Musk and the entire industry it throwing billions down a rat hole. They are trying to force a technology on consumers the NO CONSUMERS ASKED FOR.

There is NO demand for autonomous vehicles, and we do not have the infrastructure to support it. So, like our government (FBI, etc.), they waste all of their time, energy and resources on crap we don't want, while at the same, ignoring the products and services we DO want.

I posted something similar to this on another thread, but for what its worth:

My last bike was a 2014 Harley. Harley uses Harmon-Kardon systems for their GPS/infotainment systems. 2014 was the first year for that particular system and the first year was pretty awful (total system lock-ups, etc.). However, after several updates over the first 12-18 months, the GPS/infotainment system was excellent. It would work flawlessly and you could load entire trips in to the GPS. I always load mine by the day. (I think we could load 15 days with 50 waypoints each). I would take a thumb drive with all the days loaded, in case I needed it, but never needed it except when we were gone over 15 days.

Toward the end, the navigation system was the one thing I hated giving up on the HD. My hope is that Honda/Harmon listen as well on this bike.

When we took road trips on my 2012, I would create a route for each day's ride in BaseCamp, then download all the routes to the SD card. I would routinely have 30 to 50 waypoints per route because we like to take backroads. I also would often put a waypoint for an upcoming town, just so the GPS would let me know audibly how far to the next town. 8 waypoints per route just is not going to cut it for a motorcycle.

I would consider this flaw to be an 8.5 out of 10 on the "bad" scale, and it needs to be addressed by Honda BEFORE summer riding season.

This Nav system was obviously adapted from an automotive system. When you are in a car, you just want to get to your destination as quick as possible, but not on a motorcycle. If I were going to travel on Interstates, I would not need a GPS.

When we took road trips on my 2012, I would create a route for each day's ride in BaseCamp, then download all the routes to the SD card. I would routinely have 30 to 50 waypoints per route because we like to take backroads. I also would often put a waypoint for an upcoming town, just so the GPS would let me know audibly how far to the next town. 8 waypoints per route just is not going to cut it for a motorcycle.

I would consider this flaw to be an 8.5 out of 10 on the "bad" scale, and it needs to be addressed by Honda BEFORE summer riding season.

This Nav system was obviously adapted from an automotive system. When you are in a car, you just want to get to your destination as quick as possible, but not on a motorcycle. If I were going to travel on Interstates, I would not need a GPS.
                              I feel the same as you....... I have went cross country several times and always pre-routed my trips. In my case it was Garmin MapSource and now Basecamp. Used well over 50 waypoints for motels, POI's, towns, etc. It's so nice to see how far your next routed stop is. Routing my big trips on the bike itself would be ridiculous, I surely don't want to do this standing/sitting on the bike. I use my laptop for routing and/or making changes to my GPS throughout my trip as well. With that being said, this has always been the way I plan my trips and enjoy doing so. Planning is part of the fun/adventure. I'd like to add, I never set my trips in stone but, it's nice to have a game plan. Ray

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page