X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Goldwing and Goldwing Tour - More Details w/pricing

2018 Honda Gold Wing & Gold Wing Tour

Honda officially released information on the all-new 2018 Gold Wing models. The current model has been around since 2001, a long time, a testament to its reliability and solid holder of the touring king title. For 2018 Honda incorporates the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with two offered models. The Gold Wing comes without a top case, whereas the Gold Wing Tour comes with the top case. Visually, the sharper lines are not only more aero-dynamic but also more timely. Honda released a ton of information just now. Read on from the press materials.

KEY UPDATES
    • Lighter overall package results in improved handling and maneuverability
    • More compact, lighter engine with four-valve head and Unicam valve train
    • Available seven-speed DCT with Walking Mode forward/reverse
    • Six-speed manual transmission
    • Robotically welded aluminum twin-tube frame with revised plate thicknesses
    • Radially mounted six-piston dual front braking calipers
    • Double-wishbone front-suspension system
    • Electrically controlled suspension
    • Throttle-by-wire with multiple riding modes
    • Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
    • Hill Start Assist
    • Smart Key
    • Apple CarPlay compatibility
    • LED lighting
    • Updated design with 11.8 percent improved aerodynamic efficiency
    • Electric windscreen adjustment
    • Honda 3-year factory warrant with new 5-year extended warranty option

Click image for larger version  Name:	18-Honda-Gold-Wing-Tour-DCT-Airbag_red_black-FR34-772x579.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	86072

GOLD WING TOUR

The three 2018 Gold Wing Tour models—Gold Wing Tour, Gold Wing Tour DCT, and Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag—are the modern interpretation of the classic Gold Wing, the ultimate long-distance touring machine, but with highly improved performance capabilities. Each of these models features saddlebags and a top case, as well as a tall electrically adjustable windscreen, front and rear speakers, and electrically adjustable suspension.

Colors:
    • Gold Wing Tour, Gold Wing Tour DCT: Candy Ardent Red, Pearl White, Pearl Hawkseye Blue
    • Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag: Candy Ardent Red/Black

Price:
    • Gold Wing Tour: $26,700 – $27,200
    • Gold Wing Tour DCT: $27,700 – $28,200
    • Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag: $31,500

Availability: February 2018

GOLD WING (formerly F6B)

Boasting a sporty character, the two Gold Wing models—Gold Wing and Gold Wing DCT—come with saddlebags but no top case or the accompanying rear audio speakers. The electric windscreen is shorter on these models, and preload adjustment is manual. HSTC, electric damping-adjust, center stand, and heated grips are not included.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	18-Honda-Gold-Wing_RHP-772x579.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	86073

Colors: Candy Ardent Red, Matte Majestic Silver, Pearl Stallion Brown

Price:
    • Gold Wing: $23,500 – $23,800
    • Gold Wing DCT: $24,700 – $25,000

Availability: February 2018

The three 2018 Gold Wing Tour models—Gold Wing Tour, Gold Wing Tour DCT, and Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag—are the modern interpretation of the classic Gold Wing, the ultimate long-distance touring machine, but with highly improved performance capabilities. All three all-new Gold Wing Tour models feature full luggage provisions, including saddlebags and top case.

GOLD WING TOUR

Colors
    • Candy Ardent Red
    • Pearl White
    • Pearl Hawkseye Blue

Significant Features
    • Saddlebags
    • Top case (removable with accessory kit)
    • Double-wishbone front suspension
    • Tall electric windscreen
    • 6-speed manual transmission
    • Reverse gear
    • Audio speakers (2 front/2 rear)
    • Four riding modes (Tour, Sport, Econ, Rain)
    • Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
    • Heated seat
    • Heated grips
    • Cruise control
    • Electric damping adjust
    • Electric preload adjust
    • Center stand
    • Built-in navigation
    • Apple CarPlay™ compatible

GOLD WING TOUR DCT

Colors
    • Candy Ardent Red
    • Pearl White
    • Pearl Hawkseye Blue

Significant Features

Compared to Gold Wing Tour, adds:
    • Seven-speed automatic DCT
    • Walking Mode

GOLD WING TOUR DCT AIRBAG

Colors
    • Candy Ardent Red / Black

Significant Features

Compared to Gold Wing Tour DCT, adds:
    • Airbag

GOLD WING MODELS (formerly F6B)

Boasting a sporty character, the two Gold Wing models—Gold Wing and Gold Wing DCT—come with saddlebags but no top case or the accompanying rear audio speakers. The electric windscreen is shorter on these models, and preload adjustment is manual. HSTC, electric damping-adjust, center stand, and heated grips are not included.

GOLD WING

Colors
    • Candy Ardent Red
    • Matte Majestic Silver
    • Pearl Stallion Brown

Significant Features
    • Double-wishbone front suspension
    • Short electric windscreen
    • Six-speed manual transmission
    • Audio speakers (2 front)
    • Four riding modes
    • Heated grips
    • Cruise control
    • Built-in navigation
    • Apple CarPlay compatible

GOLD WING DCT

Colors
    • Candy Ardent Red
    • Matte Majestic Silver
    • Pearl Stallion Brown

By the Numbers

20%: Reduction in clutch-operation load on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing

6: Number of cylinders in the prototype engine for the original GL. (The production version would have four cylinders, though the engine grew to six cylinders in 1988.)

5.3 lbs.: Reduction in weight achieved through use of an Integrated Starter Generator system (ISG) on the 2018 Gold Wing, combining the generator and starter-motor functions

43rd: Anniversary that the Gold Wing is celebrating in the 2018 model year

SCM440H: Name of the high-strength steel-alloy material used for the 2018 Gold Wing’s crankshaft, which enabled Honda engineers to reduce the component’s dimensions

CRF450R: Honda model (an award-winning, high-performance motocrosser) from which the 2018 Gold Wing’s Unicam® valve-train design was borrowed

1.1: Number of gallons by which the 2018 Gold Wing’s fuel-tank capacity was reduced without sacrificing range, thereby improving performance and handling

999cc: Engine displacement of the original 1975 GL1000 Gold Wing

20%: Improvement in fuel economy for the 2018 Gold Wing during testing

13.7 lbs.: Amount by which weight has been reduced on the 2018 manual-transmission Gold Wing’s engine

7: Number of speeds in the 2018 Gold Wing’s advanced automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)

.75 mph: Speed at which the 2018 Gold Wing travels when in Reverse Walking Mode

$2,899: MSRP for the original, 1975 Gold Wing GL1000

4: Number of riding modes on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing: Tour, Sport, Econ, and Rain

7 inches: Size of the 2018 Gold Wing’s full-color Thin Film Transistor (TFT) liquid-crystal display

1,000: Number of miles Cycle magazine rode their 1988 GL1500 test unit in a single day for a story

4: Number of electric preload suspension-adjustment settings for the 2018 Gold Wing Tour: Rider, Rider + Luggage, Rider + Passenger, Rider + Passenger + Luggage

+80 lbs.: Amount by which weight has been reduced on the 2018 version, compared to its predecessor

Project 371: Prototype code name of the Shoichiro Irimajiri-led development project for the original Gold Wing

30%: Reduction in shock transmitted from the road surface to the handlebars on the 2018 Honda Gold Wing, thanks to the double-wishbone front-suspension system

4.4 lbs.: Amount by which weight was reduced in the Gold Wing frame and swingarm for 2018

110 liters: Total capacity of the saddlebags and rear trunk on 2018 Gold Wing Tour models (note: that is down from 147 liters in the 2017 Goldwing)
    Last edited by Cruiseman; 10-25-2017, 06:04 AM.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I really love the bike BUT...might seem like a nit...no place for highway pegs is a big deal! Being able to stretch your legs out to those highway pegs is critical to long distance comfort! Do you think there is ANYPLACE that an aftermarket vendor might be able to put some newly designed hwy pegs? Also, CB is an option, but wireless? That means my J&M headset is not worthless and needs to be replaced with some new (and no doubt expensive) bluetooth wireless headset?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

According to honda website specs, 22% better gas mileage. I average 38, so that means 46 for new model. Not bad. Still going to need a aux fuel cell for ironbutt rides.

I predict a 2018 goldwing will be in the next ironbutt rally.

• workhorse
        workhorse commented
        Editing a comment
        But the shrunk the fuel tank by 1.1 gallons.

No place for Highway pegs? Smaller gas tank? Stupid . We'll see what gas mileage people actually get in the real world

• workhorse
        workhorse commented
        Editing a comment
        Would have like to see extended fuel range, but that doesn't appear to be the case with 1.1 less gallons of fuel.

When you get better fuel economy, you don't need as big a gas tank......and I bet the aftermarket has had the schematics of this bike for awhile now...

Let's give the aftermarket a chance to tear into this new bike before claiming "nowhere" for highway pegs. There may be some substructure under the engine guards to allow for highway pegs.
        Last edited by Cruiseman; 10-25-2017, 05:49 AM.

Maybe something that 'replaces' the forward engine guards. They seem to be in about the right spot. Hwy peg that replaces the forward engine guard but still has some 'rigidity' to perform as an engine guard?

Another change you will notice is that total storage capacity has dropped from 147 liters to only 110 liters.

It should also be noted that at the reveal to the dealers, Honda mentioned that there are already 50 accessories in the pipeline for the new Goldwing. I suspect that would include a spoiler, driving lights, rider backrest, taller windscreen, etc. BUT, it could also include items such as a highway peg/engine guard replacement, forward/reverse facing cameras, etc. We just don't know yet.
            Last edited by Cruiseman; 10-25-2017, 06:03 AM.

• workhorse
              workhorse commented
              Editing a comment
              26% less storage drops the WAF significantly.

I have a few concerns from what I saw on the videos. The wind screen looks like it has a gap at the bottom, the mirrors look as if they are not actually in the mirror housing but stand off some, the optional backrest seems to small and the the top of the trunk lid seems to small for a decent rack.

If the wind screen does have a gap at the bottom how well is that going to the rain ?
            Also don't like the rails on the screen blocking my view. Don't like anything blocking the forward view.
            If the mirrors are offset from the housing how susceptible are they going to be breakage ?

I am going to have to get my hands on one before I can make a finale decision.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
              Another change you will notice is that total storage capacity has dropped from 147 liters to only 110 liters.

It should also be noted that at the reveal to the dealers, Honda mentioned that there are already 50 accessories in the pipeline for the new Goldwing. I suspect that would include a spoiler, driving lights, rider backrest, taller windscreen, etc. BUT, it could also include items such as a highway peg/engine guard replacement, forward/reverse facing cameras, etc. We just don't know yet.
              The reduction in storage is something, but I really want to see this bike in person first before I pass judgement. It does look great however.

Another thing I have noticed from the videos and photos is NO radio antenna is visible. Also, cannot find any mention of XM/Sirius radio option.

• MikeHub
                  MikeHub commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe it's on the option list,see the link i've posted in other topic

Apple Play? Really?

They had a 50-50 chance to get that right.
                Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Looks very nice but I'll keep my F6B till I win the lottery.
                  2013 Black F6B

The extra gear is great. The 37L reduction in storage space is not, however. Almost impossible to tour 1-up with that space, unless you motel it and only go for a weekend. Can you still put 2 helmets in the trunk?

My '06 still looks good!

Originally posted by Gto49 View Post
                      The extra gear is great. The 37L reduction in storage space is not, however. Almost impossible to tour 1-up with that space, unless you motel it and only go for a weekend. Can you still put 2 helmets in the trunk?

My '06 still looks good!
                      I am not sure if you can even put 1 helmet in the trunk.

• MikeHub
                        MikeHub commented
                        Editing a comment
                        According to the explanation on the "honda kevin pro" website. That rear box can hold two full-face helmets (depending on helmet make and model),

• Cruiseman
                        Cruiseman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am going to call BS on the 2 helmet claim until I see it for myself. I can barely fit 2 helmet in my current trunk which is 60 liters, the new trunk is only 50 liters.

• workhorse
                        workhorse commented
                        Editing a comment
                        2 helmets if you can fit one helmet inside of the other. =)

Looks Good - I will Wait for that ACC pipeline to fill up before I run out and get one - Side NOTE about the Apple Play - On my 16 Mustang it has that option as well - And I Can use it for Android (using) Google maps - No routing Software -look up your destination on a Google maps - It gives you 3 route options - Pick on and send it to your phone!

We shall see or hear from some you will get one on how well everything is going - to those folks I say Good riding
                      Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

What about a CB or someway to communicate with other riders

Originally posted by Redrider View Post
                          What about a CB or someway to communicate with other riders
                          Cruiseman posted the link to the Hondaline accessory bin...in one of these darn threads around here.

What's different? You're buying the control pod, the radio and the antenna - about $1000 to integrate the CB into the bike.

Now, I see what Honda has done. If you want to put a centerstand on the bike, you buy it. Same goes for the backrest...and a lot of the parts and pieces people would want to customize their bike.

It takes some $$$ to play this game. Entry-level prices are similar to what's out there today - well, yesterday - it's going thru the accessory store where you'll tack on the additional costs.

Taking a play from the Motor Company's playbook, perhaps?
                          Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

I think a trailer just went from being an option to a necessity... :-)

• kwthom
                              kwthom commented
                              Editing a comment
                              So, there's already someone that laments the loss of storage capacity...although that 147 number is the same the 1st generation of GL1800's had.

37 liters of difference is ~1.3 cu. ft. Divided by two, that's 0.65 cu. ft. lost in each saddlebag.

At least a hitch rack.

I see that accessory being one of the top 5 requested once it hits the streets.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page