Let's talk about the Next Gen Goldwing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn you Rocky, I wish that you had never started this 2018 GW crap ! It's making my life miserable you know, LOL ! Really thank you Sir, LOL !

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by craig haymaker View Post
      Damn you Rocky, I wish that you had never started this 2018 GW crap ! It's making my life miserable you know, LOL ! Really thank you Sir, LOL !
      Carol King used to sing: "Anticipation, is keeping me waiting..."for a new GL, ain't it?

The price of motorcycles is really out of control. With Harley, BMW & now Indian having bikes that exceed the 30k and even the Gold Wing has surpassed that. How does a motorcycle manufacturer justify this huge cost for what is basically a bucket of plastic that is pumped out of a vacuum press a mile a minute, by charging $5 each for plastic rivets, $70 for a 12v outlet that you can buy at any autoparts store for $2.00. Japan, the leading country in Technology and steel, probably still doesn't pay their employees even equal to our minimum wage, yet allowed their Flagship motorcycle the Gold Wing fall years behind the competition. Now there is talk about a new design from the ground up, but at what cost, $50,000. Harley is thinking about buying Ducati, but they are hurting in their Harley sales, probably because they are pricing themselves right out of business. Anything & everything with the word "motorcycle" or "bike" in the description suddenly has a price tag several times the cost of products that Don't contain any word describing a motorcycle. Helmets that cost $1000, Boots, Jackets, Pants that cost well over the $500 mark each. Just lose a bolt or nut that secures a piece of that plastic attached to your bike that you cannot find anywhere in the world except from Your bike manufacturer and don't be surprised if th just to name a few. That bolt, nut, screw or plastic rivet cost $5 - $20 each.
        The Gold Wing should have never been allowed to fall so far behind other bikes. I know many that have given up their Wing to buy the BMW 1600 or another bike that offers the newest in technology, electric windscreens, ABS as standard, Traction Control to name a few. Now even Yamaha is spending a lot of money advertising their new flagship that comes standard with every conceivable goodie. If they had made that motor water cooled, it would probably do much better than it will... maybe. Honda needs to get their head straight and built a modern Wing that does not cost as much as a new Vette!
        There, I'm done *****ing & complaining, I just want to see the Gold Wing to become the standard in Luxury Touring once again.

Originally posted by Big-D View Post
          The price of motorcycles is really out of control. With Harley, BMW & now Indian having bikes that exceed the 30k and even the Gold Wing has surpassed that. How does a motorcycle manufacturer justify this huge cost for what is basically a bucket of plastic that is pumped out of a vacuum press a mile a minute, by charging $5 each for plastic rivets, $70 for a 12v outlet that you can buy at any autoparts store for $2.00. Japan, the leading country in Technology and steel, probably still doesn't pay their employees even equal to our minimum wage, yet allowed their Flagship motorcycle the Gold Wing fall years behind the competition. Now there is talk about a new design from the ground up, but at what cost, $50,000. Harley is thinking about buying Ducati, but they are hurting in their Harley sales, probably because they are pricing themselves right out of business. Anything & everything with the word "motorcycle" or "bike" in the description suddenly has a price tag several times the cost of products that Don't contain any word describing a motorcycle. Helmets that cost $1000, Boots, Jackets, Pants that cost well over the $500 mark each. Just lose a bolt or nut that secures a piece of that plastic attached to your bike that you cannot find anywhere in the world except from Your bike manufacturer and don't be surprised if th just to name a few. That bolt, nut, screw or plastic rivet cost $5 - $20 each.
          The Gold Wing should have never been allowed to fall so far behind other bikes. I know many that have given up their Wing to buy the BMW 1600 or another bike that offers the newest in technology, electric windscreens, ABS as standard, Traction Control to name a few. Now even Yamaha is spending a lot of money advertising their new flagship that comes standard with every conceivable goodie. If they had made that motor water cooled, it would probably do much better than it will... maybe. Honda needs to get their head straight and built a modern Wing that does not cost as much as a new Vette!
          There, I'm done *****ing & complaining, I just want to see the Gold Wing to become the standard in Luxury Touring once again.
          How many units need to be sold to recoup the R&D costs. the retooling of the assembly line, the new supply lines for components, and the product liability for an unproven new design.

The automotive industry can recover all of these costs in a much short period of time due to the larger number of units sold. Even a car with more limited production such as the Vette you mention, can recover costs quicker by selling in larger numbers and as many of the parts and systems are shared across GM's product line.

When Goldwings sell in numbers similar to almost any car model, then you might see advances in design come quicker and at lower costs.
          As it stands now, the numbers just aren't there.

Who knows, the next generation Goldwing may share many things with its automotive counter parts allowing a little more pricing flexibility, but I have no real info on it so will not speculate.

Like many others I am excited to read about the insights and talk about a new design and I will embrace the new technology and ride when it arrives. I would love to see GPS that will allow me to uploads routes from my PC or phone wirelessly to the bike without having to remove a card or GPS unit to make that happen. I am available if Honda provides a similar ride opportunity here in Canada :-0
            CrazzyCanuck

Originally posted by jmohme View Post

How many units need to be sold to recoup the R&D costs. the retooling of the assembly line, the new supply lines for components, and the product liability for an unproven new design.
              If its like the current Goldwing, Honda will have 16 years to recoup the costs
              GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
              Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I'm dusting off this old thread to ask.

How many of the posters actually bought the new bike?.

This thread for me was very entertaining.
                You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

yea, i definitely enjoyed the conversations!

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page