Let's talk about the Next Gen Goldwing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about the Next Gen Goldwing

Since Rocky asked me to close the topic of his original post, I thought I would start a thread so that we can all express our opinions (may God help me) on the next generation Goldwing.

Here is Rocky's original post - click here

One thing is for sure, the popularity of Rocky's post indicates that, in spite of what you might see walking around Wing Ding, there is still life in the Goldwing community, and, a great deal of interest in a next generation Goldwing.

I, for one, have been waiting for 6 years for a new Goldwing design. I bought my 2012 reluctantly because my 2007 had 70,000 miles and was about to go off warranty. I looked at the BMWs, but just could not get past the reliability concerns and lack of a dealer network.

What are your thoughts on Rocky's post?

So, just to get some speculation going, what do you think of this photo I found on a Facebook forum?

Click image for larger version

Name:	NewWing.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	83173
    Last edited by Cruiseman; 06-29-2017, 06:09 AM.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

When and how much?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by slipknot View Post
      When and how much?
      Based on past history. Never and too expensive.

Honda has never had loose-lips with their announcement for new Wings. I doubt they would deviate from that direction. I would be very very surprised if this information turned out to be true. Honda can keep a secret! Heck, even the dealers don't really know what is coming down the road from Honda until they see it. It will be interesting to see if there is a change, but I doubt that we will know until Honda makes the announcement.
        Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
        My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
        "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

Originally posted by Bama Jack View Post
          Honda has never had loose-lips with their announcement for new Wings. I doubt they would deviate from that direction. I would be very very surprised if this information turned out to be true. Honda can keep a secret! Heck, even the dealers don't really know what is coming down the road from Honda until they see it. It will be interesting to see if there is a change, but I doubt that we will know until Honda makes the announcement.
          My only speculation on this might be that Honda did not expect Yamaha to beat them to the punch by announcing Yamaha's new touring bike. Honda may have done this knowing that information would leak out on forums like this (we were the FIRST to release the information). That would "freeze" the market in Honda's favor.

I've always been an early adopter. The 7 speed DCT is tempting, but no information about the engine..... hmmm. Lets hope the suspension with multiple modes eliminates the need for expensive after-market suspension work. Let's see effective Bluetooth and an electronically adjustable windscreen and this baby just might find a spot in my garage. Now, just where did I put that lotto ticket!

My comment is : Meh .

Till I see a bike in front of me, its all speculation. Not knocking Rocky's comments. I know he calls it as it is. Just me, I need the bike in front of me to see and learn the specs. DCT is not for me on a bike. And: what year is the new bike (s) to be really released? 2020?
              2013 Red Airbag 1800

Was that a troll post or was Rocky one of the "under 30 chosen" ?

Originally posted by Bama Jack View Post
                  I have no doubt about what Rocky said. He may be an ass at times, but I can't say that I've ever seen him lie about something like this.
                  Having spent most of my adult life in the transportation industry, I can tell you that these little "secret" user evaluations happen often. The beta units that the manufactures bring out in these instances may or may not be the exact versions that are released to the public, but many, if not all of the new technology usually makes it in one form or another to the final production unit.
                  I am a bit surprised that this info was shown here though. The few of these pre releases that I witnessed, the new vehicle was not even rolled out until non disclosers were all signed. Maybe this one is close enough to release that Honda just wants the public teased a little.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

My only speculation on this might be that Honda did not expect Yamaha to beat them to the punch by announcing Yamaha's new touring bike. Honda may have done this knowing that information would leak out on forums like this (we were the FIRST to release the information). That would "freeze" the market in Honda's favor.

I doubt that Honda cares all that much about the release of an air cooled V Twin touring bike regardless of the electronic goodies it incorporates. They may both be capable touring bikes, but they are not comparable beyond that point. I also would not be a bit surprised if Honda knew about the new Yamaha before any of us did.

Originally posted by Buckwing View Post
                  I've always been an early adopter. The 7 speed DCT is tempting, but no information about the engine..... hmmm. Lets hope the suspension with multiple modes eliminates the need for expensive after-market suspension work. Let's see effective Bluetooth and an electronically adjustable windscreen and this baby just might find a spot in my garage. Now, just where did I put that lotto ticket!
                  I hope the new Wing does incorporate a DCT. The current GL1800 transmission is one of the weak links in this bike.

As far as the engine goes. I hope they do not abandon the flat six platform. It would be nice to see more current engine management systems and maybe four valve heads, but the low CG and smooth predictable power from its overlapping power strokes are one of the things that make the GL an appealing bike to many.

The bike is way overdue for an improved suspension. Adjustability is a great feature, and I would even be fine with manual selections, but "on the fly" electronics sell so I would not be a bit surprised to see that feature.

Electrically adjustable windscreens, bluetooth, and most other gadgets do not excite me at all, but as I said already, electronics sell, so again, I would expect these in the next generation GL.

So thank you Rocky for the info. It will be interesting to see when and how many of the new features are released on a new model Goldwing.

The biggest question mark for me is, if they keep the flat 6, and add a DCT, how the Hell did they trim 80 lbs?

[QUOTE=Cruiseman;n83172]......
                      I, for one, have been waiting for 6 years for a new Goldwing design. I bought my 2012 reluctantly because my 2007 had 70,000 miles and was about to go off warranty. I looked at the BMWs, but just could not get past the reliability concerns and lack of a dealer network.
                      ..../QUOTE]

I sold my Wing last Fall as the odometer approached 300,000 as I wanted something newer and had the funds to afford it. Having experience on Honda and Harley Davidson, Yamaha and Triumph but not much on the BMW I decided to do some research. So this past winter I joined EagleRiders in order to rent a variety of BMW's to test ride on two-day rides.

Like you I had some concerns about the number of dealers and reliability.
                      On reliability: fact is that every brand of motorcycle has some owners who have had a very bad run of mechanical issues. Every one. I do not think that should be the main factor when deciding.
                      On the BMW dealership network: there are not very many but, according to people I know who own BMW's, they tend to be good dealerships and do not generate the hate mail that other brands get.

So, this past winter my wife & I test rode a variety of bikes, including some BMW models. Long story short: I bought a 2018 K1600 GTL.

After only two good days of riding my comments are:
                      1. Every other motorcycle manufacture should examine the suspension system of the K1600. One must ride it to understand how it feels so much better in corners and does not have front end dive when braking.
                      2. BMW is at least ten years ahead of Honda in motorcycle electronics and the information able to be displayed.
                      3. The Goldwing has lots of power to pass trucks on the highway. The K1600 blows away the Goldwing without even trying hard.
                      4. The no-clutch shifting is magic and the 6th gear is comfortable.

I know there are many die-hard Goldwing fans, and I'm still one. But I'm also realistic and think that right now the new K1600 is a much better bike than the new Goldwing.

• Pat Countryman
                        Pat Countryman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        John, how would you rate the seat comfort and wind protection/buffeting level on your K1600 compared to the other bikes you tested. Also, do you ride 2 up and is your back seat passenger happy back there? I have looked at the K1600 a lot and you are absolutely right about the suspension!

• workhorse
                        workhorse commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The K1600's are too high for me. In stark contrast, my wife's Z4 feels like I am riding in a go-cart with my butt 6" from the pavement.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

I think this is EXACTLY what is going on.... We can thank Yamaha for rattling Honda's cage. :-)

• Pat Countryman commented
                            5 hours ago
                            John, how would you rate the seat comfort and wind protection/buffeting level on your K1600 compared to the other bikes you tested. Also, do you ride 2 up and is your back seat passenger happy back there? I have looked at the K1600 a lot and you are absolutely right about the suspension!
                        Pat, the seat is not as comfortably soft as the Goldwing, at least not yet (only 2 rides in). BUT you can order three different seat heights/thickness and I chose the middle one. On the other hand, there is no hot air blowing on your legs if you have them on the highway pegs. BIG advantage to BMW for this.

The wind buffeting with the windshield down is like a low-rise Harley - lots of wind and lots of buffet. Put the windshield up - and you only have to go 60-70% full up - and the wind noise and buffeting is BETTER than stock Goldwing. Matches the Windbender Goldwing mod.

I ride 2-up about 80% of the time. WIfe says she is as comfortable on the BMW as on the Goldwing.

• workhorse
                          workhorse commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You will appreciate some heat once winter months come back around. =)

Originally posted by workhorse View Post
                        Was that a troll post or was Rocky one of the "under 30 chosen" ?
                        This is what Rocky said so I would think his friend was there. - This was the only viewing & Test ride in the USA. (My friend was part of history)
                        Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post

This is what Rocky said so I would think his friend was there. - This was the only viewing & Test ride in the USA. (My friend was part of history)
                          I'll take it as the annual new Goldwing troll/speculation post until proven otherwise with redesigned Goldwings on the showroom floor (with more than just a color change =).

• kwthom
                            kwthom commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You may be right, or...

Someone at American Honda has finally noted that things are different - maybe they should consider something different.

Whether or not this is a showroom-ready bike today, or it's 90% of what could be on a showroom-ready bike for model year 2018, the fact that someone that's ridden Goldwings within this circle that's actually seen this means - it's different.

Remember, in the past, nothing was said, simply because there was nothin' out there.

For thirty people that actually had the chance to *see* this (and signed the confidentially agreement), this is real.

For the sake of size & weight & packaging ... IF a DCT transmittin is used. I would guess Honda would drop to a flat 4 cylinder with 1800cc.. To shorten the engine up to make room for the DCT?
                          2013 Red Airbag 1800

• kwthom
                            kwthom commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Why?

You *could* consider a 1400CC/1600CC six cylinder that would also shorten things up a bit, no?

Originally posted by Tony in AZ View Post
                          For the sake of size & weight & packaging ... IF a DCT transmittin is used. I would guess Honda would drop to a flat 4 cylinder with 1800cc.. To shorten the engine up to make room for the DCT?
                          Does a DCT weigh more than a standard transmission ?

Originally posted by workhorse View Post

Does a DCT weigh more than a standard transmission ?
                            My understanding is, on the VFR1200, yes and quite a bit bigger

I would think if the Goldwing design included a DCT ... this would be a clean sheet design bike. Packaged even more tight than the current 1800. Where is the air filter on the new design?
                              2013 Red Airbag 1800

Originally posted by Rocky

Seriously. If your decision to buy or not is based on "Where is the air Filter?"

I'll save you a more than twenty grand, and say get a lawn mower.

Where did that come from? Decision on buying because of air filter location? My question is did Honda hide the air filter deeper? I have a 2013 Airbag Goldwing now. No plans to buy another. If I crash this Goldwing like my 2010 and survive again..... My riding days are over.

I have near 3/4 acre of grass to mow here. I have a 48 inch cut Craftsman lawn tractor with V-twin air cooled engine. Air filter right on top. 2 screws removed and air filter is out.
                                2013 Red Airbag 1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page