Keeping up with upgraded Harley Davidson Road Glides?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly Mophead, I don’t get what they are doing as well. I really like those Blackbirds, but I have always like liter bikes. I ridden a Blackbird and it was a nice ride. I noticed today that Honda came out with more storage and somehow made more passenger room with making the bike bigger.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Old in 10EC View Post
      Everyone needs to take a test ride on a V-rod, before bashing slow H-D’s. I had one and there’s no way my ‘18 Wing could have kept up. Neither could keep up with my Versys 1000 LT, that’s parked next to my Wing. There’s always something faster.

Another perspective. A 124 ci S&S engine costs more that I have in my Versys.
      I owned a Big Bore Indian Chieftain that dynoed more HP and TQ than the HDs. From Start to probably 90 I believe my 2020 non-Tour would beat them, including the V-Rod which gives up quite a bit of TQ...and TQ is where it's at. The Versys would also be beat by equal riders if both bikes were equal in weight...the Versys gives up quite of bit of TQ to the GW also.

But I don't think this is what the GW is about. Sure I can spend money and jack up a bike that might be faster in a straight line but why? I've seen a very competent rider on an older GW absolutely annihilate liter sport bikes on the Dragon, even though he was giving up close to 100 HP to the liter bikes.

Those souped up HDs are going to be stopping every 100 miles or so for gas too. No thanks...been there...done that...if I want speed I'll pull out the BMW but this bike is about putting distance between where you start and where you end up.

The bottom line in these more HP threads is simple.

A fast bike is no good if the rider lacks the potential.(ie:balls)
        To use what is under them to the bikes full advantage.

Nowadays Sadly, Dealers don't care what your skill set is, they only care about "What is in your Wallet".

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          The bottom line in these more HP threads is simple.

A fast bike is no good if the rider lacks the potential.(ie:balls)
          To use what is under them to the bikes full advantage.

Nowadays Sadly, Dealers don't care what your skill set is, they only care about "What is in your Wallet".
          Or whether the buyer has the skill to ride the bike. While I was sitting on the bike getting ready to leave the dealer, they were preparing another bike and rider for delivery beside me. It was a sportbike. The guy had NO experience riding a motorcycle. In fact, he commented to the person helping him familiarize himself with the bike and controls stated he had ridden mountain bikes and bicycles younger and this was just like riding a bike .

Right before I left, He attempted to ride the bike home and dumped his brand new bike right there in the parking lot. He got up, brushed himself off...got the bike back up and started...and once again took off on the road. The whole time I was thinking he was never going to make it home alive.

Agree...people need to care more than just about "What is in your Wallet" if they want to see the sport grow.

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            "Agree...people need to care more than just about "What is in your Wallet" if they want to see the sport grow."

For the sake of the discussion...uh, no.

It's *not* the salesman's responsibility to do that. His job in the transaction is to get YOU the buyer to sign on the dotted line. If my livelihood is selling bikes, then my job is exactly that.

Sales manager? They are the one that checks your license (at least in AZ) and then gets you to sign the rest of the paperwork.

...exactly the way it is when you purchase a car, truck, or any other four-wheeled vehicle.

Period.

• Dadawada
            Dadawada commented
            Editing a comment
            kwthom All that guy has to do is ride out of your dealership and kill himself. The family will find a lawyer to take the case and you will end up in court explaining why you let (or even encouraged) a known inexperienced rider to purchase the bike...happens more often than you think...and YES you and the dealership will be held liable...cases have already set precedence.

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            Pay close attention.

Owning a motorcycle does NOT imply the operator is licensed.

Just like when you buy your 12 year old kid a bike. The kid can't be licensed, but YOU are on the title as owner of the motorcycle.

And your story is why I think today's youth,(Under 21 yrs of age)
          Should at the minimum, take a MSF Course before they can get a motorcycle license.

Its sad to read a kid just killed themselves on something they weren't prepared to ride, without basic training.

I know I started on mini bikes and progressed as I learned from experience.

Some kids will die before they had a chance to get that experience. (Off my soapbox now-sorry)

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

Experience is a tough teacher, first you are given the test, and then you learn the lesson, hopefully is will not end in a tragedy. Some people don't need to be driving on four wheels not to mention two!

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page