Tire Pressure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually there are a bunch of 4 wheel kits starting at 29 bucks … so if my trike only works on the front tire I can get to extra rear caps …
    The TPMS is nice even if after checking the tires before a ride, one might go down during a ride … never know !

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
      I happen to think TPMS are for lazy people (But that's just me.)
      It's not just you, I am lazy and have knees just bad enough not to want to be on them on concrete, blacktop or gravel (especially gravel). But until I find a tire pressure gauge long enough to keep me from getting on my knees, or crawling under the rear of the bike, it's the best option for me.
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• Rocky
        Rocky commented
        Editing a comment
        My Bad. Forgot about the guys with bad knees.

• clayusmcret
        clayusmcret commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm years away from replacements, but there is no padding on the front of the knees anymore. This is my way of religiously checking the pressure before every ride.

Hell, I'd give my right something or other to have tires that don't consistently leak out over time. Both my 03 and 08 have been like this (regardless of the tire on at the time). The gentleman I bought the 03 off of told me to get used to it. So I did.

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

It's not just you, I am lazy and have knees just bad enough not to want to be on them on concrete, blacktop or gravel (especially gravel). But until I find a tire pressure gauge long enough to keep me from getting on my knees, or crawling under the rear of the bike, it's the best option for me.
      I feel your pain, double knee replacements for me !

Originally posted by thewolfman View Post
        Actually there are a bunch of 4 wheel kits starting at 29 bucks … so if my trike only works on the front tire I can get to extra rear caps …
        The TPMS is nice even if after checking the tires before a ride, one might go down during a ride … never know !
        It is (I have a Fobo 2 on mine...) but you have a more acute problem - that TPMS light on your dash is never going to go off.

Remember, as mentioned, the design was for 2 wheels. Trike manufacturers modify the vehicle in order to accommodate that trike configuration.

You may note on the previous generation, it was easy to disable TPMS functionality. Now, how that might be tied into the '18 computer system, nobody (seriously) knows.
        Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

I'm a stickler for air pressure. Being a mechanic I worry about all kinds of systems. I don't get to ride everyday. Two or three times a week. My knees are shot also. Seen it coming a long time ago. I have a Forward air/hydraulic drive on rack for the B. That's where I park it. On the lift. I check air pressure before each ride. The one guy that posted his tire was 8 pounds low , that's alot. I know it may sound stupid but if mine is 3 pounds low I feel that there is a difference. The front much more than the rear. I run a car tire on the rear. I run max air in the front tire. It's a heavy bike and I'm a big guy. Just feels much more planted in the corners.

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            "I know it may sound stupid but if mine is 3 pounds low I feel that there is a difference."

Not at all stupid. It does mean you fully recognize that feeling, and know that it's not right. Your a**-to-brain link is functional, good on ya!

I’ve had my 2018 for a while now, went through the TMPS learning curve like so many here.... on my 2007 I rarely checked the pressures on my tires, yes I gave the a good visual inspection and a good hard tire kick and I was on my way... the 2018 when I’m on the road, I ALWAYS travel to a “cooler” destination.... every time I start out for a ride the low pressure light is blinking, and I mean every time.... So I got sick of checking and I ride in about 5 miles and it goes off... I deliberately put the at 3-5 pounds over, next day leaving my cooler destination, low pressure warning light..... so I continue on, light goes off...... so it’s a crying wolf indicator... and I ignore it.... some day I will be riding along and the stupid light will come on and I will ignore it and crash......

moral of the story???

buy a TMPS from people who know WTF they are doing, the Honda ones SUCK....

mattbcnv
          2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

The TPMS system on my Wing is not bad or good. It's a indicator. As for tires leaking down? No different than any other motorcycle or car taking into account that they are on a standard street tire of there time and usage. Racing tires and such is a whole diff. set of rules.

One thing that has impressed the crap out of me is the nitrogen fill that my run of the mill ford fusion came with when I bought the car new. I have tons of experience with nitrogen filled tires in race settings. But I've found it to be wonderful in this car. The pressures have stayed steady and worry free. The left rear is now down 2 psi after 5k miles. The other three are all within 1 psi each as of today according TPMS. It's due for a oil change and I got a crap load of free ones at my dealer when I bought the car. I've not had to drop by the dealer one time between oil changes to have a tire topped off. They are wearing very even. I'm looking at a true 80k miles out of these tires. Thats almost unheard of concerning OEM shorts found on new cars. We are in the process of our first seasonal major temp swing tonight. It will be interesting in the morning and sat. morning to see how the car tires fare compared to the Wings tires as a result of the temp swing.

I'm seriously looking into switching the bike over to nitrogen and being able to keep a small regulated canister system on board the Wing for road repairs.
            Ride or Die!

Originally posted by psy View Post
              The TPMS system on my Wing is not bad or good. It's a indicator. As for tires leaking down? No different than any other motorcycle or car taking into account that they are on a standard street tire of there time and usage. Racing tires and such is a whole diff. set of rules.

One thing that has impressed the crap out of me is the nitrogen fill that my run of the mill ford fusion came with when I bought the car new. I have tons of experience with nitrogen filled tires in race settings. But I've found it to be wonderful in this car. The pressures have stayed steady and worry free. The left rear is now down 2 psi after 5k miles. The other three are all within 1 psi each as of today according TPMS. It's due for a oil change and I got a crap load of free ones at my dealer when I bought the car. I've not had to drop by the dealer one time between oil changes to have a tire topped off. They are wearing very even. I'm looking at a true 80k miles out of these tires. Thats almost unheard of concerning OEM shorts found on new cars. We are in the process of our first seasonal major temp swing tonight. It will be interesting in the morning and sat. morning to see how the car tires fare compared to the Wings tires as a result of the temp swing.

I'm seriously looking into switching the bike over to nitrogen and being able to keep a small regulated canister system on board the Wing for road repairs.
              I'm happy with the 78% nitrogen in my tires.
              PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Dogbone
                Dogbone commented
                Editing a comment
                Motorcycle tires are notorious for losing pressure. I understand the principle of nitrogen filled tires. But aren't your nitrogen filled motorcycle tires going to lose pressure, although at a slower rate, just like always?

Yes they will, I check them before every ride anyways. I don't like green valve stem caps.
              PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by INTHEWIND View Post

I'm happy with the 78% nitrogen in my tires.
                Ya doing it all wrong Son. I say your doing it all wrong.

Ya need to be using "Amsoil Synthetic Amsair". It will blow your mind.
                Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                Current bikes.
                1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                1986 GL1200 SEi
                2004 GL1800

And it's minty fresh!
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Thank you Oh Wise One..
                    PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Rocky
                      Rocky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I knew you'd get a chuckle out of that Randy.
                  Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page