Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kurviger workflow

After months of trial and error to find a route planner that the Honda plays well with, this is where Ive ended up. Ive tested it with routes containing 5 to 80 something way points.

https://kurviger.de/en

1-click on advanced opts
    I have checked the following:
    -Avoid toll roads
    -Avoid unpaved roads
    -Miles/Ft
    2-Choose English
    3-Choose highway(far left icon)
    -There are 4 opts available
    Highway, straight back roads, curvy and super curvy

I have more control choosing highway. I just click a point and drag the route to the road I want, making sure the way point IS ON THE ROAD. its easier to drag a route from the highway to a curvy back road than it is to drag a route from a curvy back road to a less curvy back road or highway.
    Sometimes the blue line is off the road, make sure you find a spot near by where it gets back on the road and place the way point there.
    This is very important. Honda thinks a way point is a destination so itll reroute you incessantly until you get to it and youll have to manually delete it on the fly

I choose highway because If you choose curvy or very curvy it can sometimes reroute you through subdivisions, etc...
    You can reroute it but it can take a lot of way points to get you back on the road you want

I make sure I dont place my way points in intersections. On highways or multiple lane roads,
    i place it on the side Im riding. ie, in the north bound lane if im traveling north

Kurviger works with GPS coordinates. Its a european based program so if it cant pinpoint
    an exact address, do a gps search on that address and enter the coordinates instead.
    I havent run into that problem, but just be aware of it. I enter my start address and my
    finish address like normal, but the way points will show up as coordinates, as you choose them.
    Its click and drag. click on the road it recommends, and drag it to the road youd rather take.

If you right click on a way point that you have placed, you get several opts
    One is "show on google maps" if you click that, google maps will come up
    I like to click on the satellite view to get a good look at the area.
    I chose a gravel road once and it acted funny. when i zoomed in
    with the sat view it showed me my error. this also helps when im trying to get on/off a
    major road from a curvy road and there is no entrance/exit to it. youll get a loopy section that you cant click and drag

if you place a point and the routing is screwy chances are you placed it in a wrong place.
    ie, wrong side of the road or in an inaccessible entrance.
    Also, In google maps i can search for
    restaurants, gas stations, etc. and plot a way point.

When I took my wife for her first trip i only wanted to do about 150 mi between stops
    so id plot a point about 150 mi and search the area for a restaurant, fuel stop

4-in the way point listing, top left you can delete a point by using the X or move them up and down to change the order

5-Ive used the round trip opt as well. you enter a distance, how far you want to go,
    and a direction and itll come up with a route for you. in this mode, i usually choose curvy or extra curvy
    I planned a route from indiana to Kentucky, as i would normally. the next day i wanted to ride the roads
    in that area of kentucky and return to the hotel, so i used the extra curvy round trip option.
    it planned a great route for us

6-Saving. I played around with this for 3 weeks, trying every possibility in order to get it to load into
    the honda nav as i planned it. a lot of trial and error. this is what i found works consistently each time

***before I save, i click on every way point to make sure its on the road and the side of the road i want
    and see how many way points your route has

A-press "Export"
    B-Name the route
    C-leave route format as shown "*.gpx
    D-IMPORTANT Choose "way points" and uncheck "track" or "Route". those two didnt play well with the honda nav
    E-click on "count" and enter 5 more than the number of way points you have in your route
    **Ive found that if I choose too many, it can add way points, or too few itll take away
    F-click on "export" to download to your computer
    G-insert the correct USB drive into your computer and transfer the route to the root drive.
    I dont like to use sub folders. I have a usb drive just for transferring routes to the bike,
    with nothing else on it. the bike recognizes it right away
    H-turn on bike, insert usb into the cable and the route comes up, choose it and save it
    G- BE SURE TO UNCHECK "FASTEST ROUTE" IN THE HONDA NAV ROUTE OPTIONS SETTING. otherwise the bike
    will change the route to the fastest route.

Just get on a computer and play with it. create a route with 4-5 way points
    around your neighborhood, making them back track on each other, etc... One thing i like to do is use my house address
    for the start but then move the start way point to the exit of my neighborhood. the system will guide you
    to the start way point

Dont hesitate to reach out if you have any issues or questions.

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

Nice write-up - and a brief comment, since those directions *could* also work for 2012-2017 factory GPS systems.

Your step D...the old GPS seemed to work well with 'routepoints' attached as part of a route. Same issues (e.g. be on the correct side of the road, etc.) as you mentioned for the Garmin-based GPS.

If your GPX files are (roughly) a few (10, 20, 50) kilobytes in size, then you've generated a GPX that has only waypoints. Now, the Honda GPS is actually calculating the route between these waypoints. A waypoint can be also be a 'via point' which would be an unannounced point in your route. GPX sizes of a few hundred kilobytes will typically contain routes - a means of definitely routing along a specific road, for example.

Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Drgsin
      Drgsin commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the additions/comments

Do people really go through all that stuff everytime they take a trip or go for a ride? I know where I'm going and just go. Butt hurts get off, belly hungry eat. Bike hungry feed it. Road sign,,,, that looks interesting change course. I have a cousin that is OCD and her whole life is like that. Everything planned and laid out to the inth degree. Even something as simple as walking across a room is very complex to her. I could see it if one was in a competition, or a rally of some sort.
    Ride or Die!

Originally posted by psy View Post
      Do people really go through all that stuff everytime they take a trip or go for a ride? I know where I'm going and just go. Butt hurts get off, belly hungry eat. Bike hungry feed it. Road sign,,,, that looks interesting change course. I have a cousin that is OCD and her whole life is like that. Everything planned and laid out to the inth degree. Even something as simple as walking across a room is very complex to her. I could see it if one was in a competition, or a rally of some sort.
      It depends on the purpose of the ride. Out burning holes (big circular routes just to ride)? If I use the GPS (a Garmin that actually works) it's only to keep track of time along the route. Out on a major trip? I have the route plotted out mostly because (quite honestly) I enjoy the effort in preplanning the route and then seeing if it worked as planned. I've spent too many years planning for myself and for others to completely throw a multi-day route to the unknown. Maybe someday, after I win the lottery.
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

I know its evolution, But I'm old school.
        I refuse to Plan a route anywhere.

I change my mind often, when I'm out riding based of traffic at any given time.

I stopped using my Garmin. "Recalculate this" and turn the annoying thing off.

I can't stand being regimented, when I'm supposed to be on a motorcycle to cleanse my mind.

Riding to me takes me away from "ya gotta do this, Ya gotta do that" to do list crap.

I'm out riding right now. - it will get done when I'm finished riding!.

Plan - There is no stinking Plan!
        Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
        Current bikes.
        1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
        1986 GL1200 SEi
        2004 GL1800

No plan needed for a 6-7hr Sunday ride. Taking a trip for 5-20+ days, 400+ mile/days & hotels booked, etc, then YES, you better have a plan! IBA & SS rides, you better have a plan!! If you’re a working stiff & only so many days off, you need a plan . . . retired, he’ll no!!

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            I have yet to meet anyone that has unlimited time | money | effort to *not* have some sort of a plan.

Even in retirement.

totally agree with you guys as far as winging it on a ride. personally, i enjoy planning routes....looking to see which hidden gems are in an area. planning gives me an idea as to where these gems are. once i get there, im open to following my gut and going off course. I mostly ride planned routes when im going out of state. since i dont have endless time off work, i have to get in as much of the good stuff as i can. in my home state, when i take off for a day or two ride, i just get down to the central part of the state and then go by gut instinct.

I'm having trouble using kurvigur and trying to import a gpx file. What does one click on when viewing the file page with huge amounts data displayed? The link will appear on the import "begin address", but if I click on import it pops up and says there is no data to import.
            2014 Black Goldwing Level 3

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              can you email the file to me and ill try [email protected].. otherwise ill mess around with one of my files. i havent had issues before though

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              i assumed you saved the gpx file to your computer, no? thats where kurviger will look

on the home page click on import and an import box appears. i only check: Use GPX for route calculation, and change the way point number to 90. click on the gray box at the top and choose the file from your computer and import it

When I attempt to download that file in a folder that I named Garmin gpx my computer changes it to an XML file and kurviger wont accept that

Originally posted by gray red rider View Post
                When I attempt to download that file in a folder that I named Garmin gpx my computer changes it to an XML file and kurviger wont accept that
                Can you simply rename it to a gpx within the File Explorer window (or equivalent Apple window)?
                2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders

• Drgsin
                  Drgsin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  his problem was something different. he had the route in computer code and was trying to save it.

I'm afraid I don't know where or how to do that

Originally posted by gray red rider View Post
                  I'm afraid I don't know where or how to do that
                  Are you using a Mac or PC? If a PC:

Go to File Explorer.
                  Map to the file.
                  Highlight the extension.
                  Change the extension.
                  Click out of it. It'll probably tell you the change will break the file.
                  You're done.

If a Mac, no clue.
                  Attached Files

email sent...loooong email, lol youll have to choose .gpx as the file type when you download, in the site where you found the route. there are many options to choose from

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page