Honda Goldwing / Tour DCT Parking Brake Indicator Flasher

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geesh, if you guys can’t think to look down at your ENGAGED parking brake before you ride off . . .

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Gold Winger View Post
      Geesh, if you guys can’t think to look down at your ENGAGED parking brake before you ride off . . .
      You are preaching to the CRS crowd.

I'll have to ask you to show some respect!.
      Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
      Current bikes.
      1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
      1986 GL1200 SEi
      2004 GL1800

Going to order some stuff from them nice prices looks like easy installs the parking brake warning light looks very helpful will report back after the install.
        2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Thanks INTHEWIND for the video was very helpful it been a good while since I've used or seen Freds stuff this is a upgrade i plan on doing.
          2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

The three phase of EC Parking Brake flasher they will be doing.

Phase 1 - Flashing light
            Phase 2 - Audible beep
            Phase 3 - Side stand is down or Parking brake is on, bike will not go into gear.

Originally posted by Gold Winger View Post

I was in Michigan waiting for a bridge to lower back down after a ship passed. I was on a steep incline whereas I was rolling backward without brakes, so I decided to engage the parking brake and sit on the bike with the kickstand down after several minutes the bridge when back down and everyone is scrambling to start their engines, the speed limit went from 45 to 70 in about a block and my parking brake pads went from .70mm to .45mm in about a half a block.

I would like the reminder, I think its a well to do aftermarket add-on that probably should have been OEM. Remember this bike has all these other warning lights, fuel, temp, TPMS, etc... walking forward & reverse, ride modes, heated seat & grips, its got Apple CarPlay, it slices, it dices, it makes julienne fries, it's not a plain Jane cycle. How could Honda miss this OPPORTUNITY to add another blinking light on this technological behemoth.

kiptap - Paul
              Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
              1979 Kawasaki Z 200
              1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
              1996 Honda GL 1500SE
              2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Even with this parking brake flasher, you still have to look down at the dash to see if it's blinking. Audible is the way to go.

Just returned from a one week close to 2000 mile trip to WV and back. Could have used the parking brake a couple of times but it was not working. Never had one before. Never even tried it before. Duh. When I got back I found a video by Frank Harmon for adjusting the parking brake. Easy peasy. Mine was not even engaging. Cable and caliper both needed to be adjusted. Works perfect now.

Also, on a different note, the day after I got back, found a small puddle of oil on the garage floor. Just had a 4000 mile service performed right before I left (it was free with the bike purchase). Sure enough, the idiot mechanic at the useless dealership, pinched the rubber gasket on the DCT clutch filter plate. Never saw any oil on the ground during the entire trip. Guess the long drive home heated everything up just enough to let the oil push past the pinched gasket. Checked the oil level and it was fine. Had just ordered the recommended O rings (as seen on this forum) and simply replaced the pinched one. Easy peasy.
                2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Show Chrome Seat Bungee Tie Down Brackets, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin, Traxxion Dynamics Kick Stand Pad, Slip Streamer Clear Wraparound Touring Windshield, Utopia Driver Backrest. Show Chrome Marker Lights. WingStuff and Saddlemen Luggage Bags.

Sometimes oil leaks show up long after the fact. (like you also experienced.)

I still remember the guy sitting on the guard rail near his Valk interstate.

I was just headed back to the barn after a ride, So I pulled over and asked if he needed help?

He changed his own oil back in Utah.

He and a buddy with their wives on board had just left their hotel. to go sight seeing around San Diego.

When his bike got all squirrely on him..

He had the sense to gently roll out of the throttle when the oil light came on, and pulled over (To where I found him)

His riding partner told him .
                  As soon as you accelerated from the ramp, you left a trail of oil.

The buddy dropped off his wife at the motel, and then came back and brought the valk guys wife to the motel.

I looked the bike over while he was talking to the tow truck guy.

I asked who changed the oil last time??

Then he told me it was him before they left on this trip.

I pointed to his oil filter.

You could see a second O-Ring that blew out.by the distance of the filter housing to the engine case.

I said "There's your problem".

He had hundreds of miles on the bike since the change!!

The O Ring waited to blow out on that Sunday afternoon in San Diego.

We had the bike towed to my place.

We went and picked up oil/filter/Engine cleaner. (The back of the bike was well coated)

I refused to take anything for my time. (he tried to argue with me, but I wasn't having it)

I told him to "Pay it Forward"

I told him "Life teaches you Lessons" (He said Amen brother- turns out he was Mormon)

I bet you'll look at the old filter from now on to make sure its o ring is on it ,instead of still stuck on the eng case.

I led him back to his hotel,after he called them to say. "Get suited up-I'm on my way with a story of how I am ready to roll"

A couple weeks later I got a real nice thank you gift from his Mormon riding club. (A set of Patches & invite to stay with them when I'm up that way)

Moral of the story.

Oil leaks don't necessarily have to happen as soon as you completed a task.
                  They can show up hundreds of miles after the fact!!

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                  "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                  Current bikes.
                  1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                  1986 GL1200 SEi
                  2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                    Even with this parking brake flasher, you still have to look down at the dash to see if it's blinking. Audible is the way to go.

Just returned from a one week close to 2000 mile trip to WV and back. Could have used the parking brake a couple of times but it was not working. Never had one before. Never even tried it before. Duh. When I got back I found a video by Frank Harmon for adjusting the parking brake. Easy peasy. Mine was not even engaging. Cable and caliper both needed to be adjusted. Works perfect now.

Also, on a different note, the day after I got back, found a small puddle of oil on the garage floor. Just had a 4000 mile service performed right before I left (it was free with the bike purchase). Sure enough, the idiot mechanic at the useless dealership, pinched the rubber gasket on the DCT clutch filter plate. Never saw any oil on the ground during the entire trip. Guess the long drive home heated everything up just enough to let the oil push past the pinched gasket. Checked the oil level and it was fine. Had just ordered the recommended O rings (as seen on this forum) and simply replaced the pinched one. Easy peasy.
                    Correction..Fred Harmon, not Frank.
                    PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Dogbone
                      Dogbone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ooops. Know it's Fred. Have no idea why I said Frank. Sorry Fred!

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                    Sometimes oil leaks show up long after the fact. (like you also experienced.)

I still remember the guy sitting on the guard rail near his Valk interstate.

I was just headed back to the barn after a ride, So I pulled over and asked if he needed help?

He changed his own oil back in Utah.

He and a buddy with their wives on board had just left their hotel. to go sight seeing around San Diego.

When his bike got all squirrely on him..

He had the sense to gently roll out of the throttle when the oil light came on, and pulled over (To where I found him)

His riding partner told him .
                    As soon as you accelerated from the ramp, you left a trail of oil.

The buddy dropped off his wife at the motel, and then came back and brought the valk guys wife to the motel.

I looked the bike over while he was talking to the tow truck guy.

I asked who changed the oil last time??

Then he told me it was him before they left on this trip.

I pointed to his oil filter.

You could see a second O-Ring that blew out.by the distance of the filter housing to the engine case.

I said "There's your problem".

He had hundreds of miles on the bike since the change!!

The O Ring waited to blow out on that Sunday afternoon in San Diego.

We had the bike towed to my place.

We went and picked up oil/filter/Engine cleaner. (The back of the bike was well coated)

I refused to take anything for my time. (he tried to argue with me, but I wasn't having it)

I told him to "Pay it Forward"

I told him "Life teaches you Lessons" (He said Amen brother- turns out he was Mormon)

I bet you'll look at the old filter from now on to make sure its o ring is on it ,instead of still stuck on the eng case.

I led him back to his hotel,after he called them to say. "Get suited up-I'm on my way with a story of how I am ready to roll"

A couple weeks later I got a real nice thank you gift from his Mormon riding club. (A set of Patches & invite to stay with them when I'm up that way)

Moral of the story.

Oil leaks don't necessarily have to happen as soon as you completed a task.
                    They can show up hundreds of miles after the fact!!
                    I knew it Rocky, you are a saint after all. Thanks for helping a fellow Utahn.
                    PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Rocky
                      Rocky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Don't be telling people things like that!

Its taken me years to build up this Persona!!

Besides-no one would believe it anyways.

You are Welcome.

PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page