Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clickittty click

Is this what you guys hear out of your 2018 Goldwing after just starting up and your ear (or microphone) close to the valve covers? How prominent the clicking sounds, has everything to do with where I am standing and how close to the valve covers I am.

https://youtu.be/zAQz5Nt2RRM

That sounds about what I hear all the time.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Let the Honda dealer decide, and start a paper trail on the noise.
      PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

I wouldn't put up with that noise.

NO--its not normal.
        Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
        Current bikes.
        1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
        1986 GL1200 SEi
        2004 GL1800

I just checked mine and it is very typical no loud clicking like yours..... mine is quiet compared to yours....

mattbcnv
          2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

Originally posted by Mattbcnv View Post
            I just checked mine and it is very typical no loud clicking like yours..... mine is quiet compared to yours....

mattbcnv
            Mattbcnv, when you checked, did you put your ear close to the valve covers? The clicking sound on mine is drowned out by the engine exhaust unless unless I specifically listen to the valves up close.

Yes, I also put my hand on it to see if I could feel and irregularities, nada....

if if it were me I’d take it to the dealer ASAP

mattbcnv
              2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

Sounds pretty normal to me it could just be more of sounds from the fuel injectors they have a little knocking sound also. Trust me if it was your valves you would hear and know it. Yours sound fine to me Ride Safe Ride A-lot

2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Followup: I took the Goldwing to the shop today. I spoke with a service manager for a few minutes about the sound. He said he didn't hear anything unusual or concerning. I asked him to add that I came in and asked about it to my service ticket and he did. I don't think there's anything wrong, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

I would not just take the word of a service manager.

I showed a service manager this video.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RWc4ZxCcKw

He said any bike in the showroom would do exactly that. I have darkened their doors for the last time. I'd have them document it, and have a ticket where they attempted to diagnose it. I would contact the Honda regional rep, and have them determine what they should do to diagnose. I'd make sure this is well documented while the bike is under warranty. Once it's out of warranty it can be VERY expensive.
                    Costa Mesa, CA
                    2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by Mikeal View Post
                      Is this what you guys hear out of your 2018 Goldwing after just starting up and your ear (or microphone) close to the valve covers? How prominent the clicking sounds, has everything to do with where I am standing and how close to the valve covers I am.

https://youtu.be/zAQz5Nt2RRM
                      It says the video is private so I can't view/listen to it.

I also had what I perceived to be a "loose" valve adjustment. The only thing I can base that on would be a VW with chrome moly pushrods, whereas when the engine warms up it expands and the ticking goes away, even set at zero lash. I also took my bike in and had the lead mechanic listen and he didn't seem concerned. I now start/warm up the bike upright on the center stand or mount it to be upright as soon as possible and the ticking resides rather quickly and its defiantly gone well before one notch of the temp gauge.

Its about time for my valve adjustment so we shall see if I need I believe a shim, I don't believe there are adjusters and I'm pretty sure they are solid lifters, I believe my GL1500 was hydraulic lifters so I have nothing to base this perception on. Would love to hear the video to compare.
                      kiptap - Paul
                      Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
                      1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                      1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                      1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                      2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Originally posted by kiptap View Post

It says the video is private so I can't view/listen to it.

I also had what I perceived to be a "loose" valve adjustment. The only thing I can base that on would be a VW with chrome moly pushrods, whereas when the engine warms up it expands and the ticking goes away, even set at zero lash. I also took my bike in and had the lead mechanic listen and he didn't seem concerned. I now start/warm up the bike upright on the center stand or mount it to be upright as soon as possible and the ticking resides rather quickly and its defiantly gone well before one notch of the temp gauge.

Its about time for my valve adjustment so we shall see if I need I believe a shim, I don't believe there are adjusters and I'm pretty sure they are solid lifters, I believe my GL1500 was hydraulic lifters so I have nothing to base this perception on. Would love to hear the video to compare.
                        I unlocked the video. You should be able to watch it now. Thanks for the reply.

• GWRider
                          GWRider commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Still private

Lets hope yours don't turn into this problem?.

Engine noise starts at 3:17-3:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SflFku0eKo

************************************************** *******
                        Current bikes.
                        1986 GL1200 SEi
                        2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                          Lets hope yours don't turn into this problem?.

Engine noise starts at 3:17-3:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SflFku0eKo
                          Yikes. I certainly hope not!

Ya, that's the same ticking noise that I had/have. It pretty much gone now. I don't want to get into it but keeping the bike upright when starting and I changed oil with a tad more lead in it and it knocked it out to almost non-existent but all this is probably circumstantal, the slop in the valve train is probably still there, but the metal to metal noise (ticking) goes away quite quick now upon warm up.

Update:
                            I briefly looked at the valve design, holy smokes that's amazing, there are rockers that ride directly on the cam and then operate the valve and the adjustment is a spacer type button, then there are rockers with rollers that ride on the cam and have adjusters at the valve. Way over my pay grade. Amazing design, but I'm easily entertained.

So what I said earlier doesn't apply the rockers are running solid to the cam one by a roller and one direct contact and by all rights the valves should stretch over time so there should be less slop over time. Something else has to be going on.
                            kiptap - Paul
                            1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                            1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                            1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                            2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Man who who talks out azz.

Burbs Farts out mouth.
                              ************************************************** *******
                              Current bikes.
                              1986 GL1200 SEi
                              2004 GL1800

like I said, way over my pay grade, call it butt speak but my ticking noise has subsided.
                                kiptap - Paul
                                1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                                1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                                1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                                2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

• Rocky
                                  Rocky commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Metal to metal contact does not go away.
                                  It gets repaired!

• kiptap
                                  kiptap commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yup, that is true.... Dam it Rocky you would have to point that out.
                              Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page