How to strap Kuryakyn Momentum Wanderer Touring Seat Bag to 2019 DCT Tour?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to strap Kuryakyn Momentum Wanderer Touring Seat Bag to 2019 DCT Tour?

Got my Wing last week (going back for the 1K check tomorrow) - a bit disappointed with the seeming lack of storage space (really? Standard helmet won't fit in the trunk? Does Honda not think riders wear them?).

Anyway, searching for something to put on the rear seat, I found the Kuryakyn bag noted above. But I cannot figure out how to strap it (or anything else, using Rock Straps I have) to the seat itself. Since the passenger grips do not have any space (you cannot wrap your fingers or a web strap around them) and there seem to be no other tie-down points, has anyone figured out how to tie luggage on that back seat?

I drilled 2 holes in each passenger handle. Put a large cable tie through the holes. Attach ROK straps to cable tie

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Post #27

https://www.theglforum.com/forum/mot...-options/page2
      kiptap - Paul
      Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
      1979 Kawasaki Z 200
      1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
      1996 Honda GL 1500SE
      2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Thank you guys...

@Dr No - I don't have the passenger handles at this point, and am not sure I'd want to go drilling holes in them (especially if they're $350).

kiptap -so it looks as though you found some straps that have heavy duty hooks at the end (unlike the Rock straps that require you wrap the web around a frame part and loop it through itself). ..may I ask as to where you got them or what brand they are?

I installed these under the passenger handles.

https://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail.../363374/399625
          2018 White Gold Wing Tour DCT

Originally posted by Ray N. View Post
            I installed these under the passenger handles.

https://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail.../363374/399625
            I have those as well. Work very well for strapping a tbag to the passenger seat.
            Martin

Drill the holes in the handles Rocky posted a how to do a search to find it. I did it i have four holes in each handle there solid plastic handles works nice it a easy fix. I stay away from any Kuryrakyn products there stuff is very cheap and will not last long had trouble in the past with there stuff. These bikes are so new there just now coming out with upgrades. For me i use Show Chrome stuff it seems to be a lot better especially there chrome stuff don't need chrome any more with the black out look thats out an i have. Hope this helps Ride Safe Ride A Lot.
              2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Even works Underwater!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	61LH2RkEVuL._SX466_.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	118188
                Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                Current bikes.
                1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                1986 GL1200 SEi
                2004 GL1800

Originally posted by f8lee View Post
                  Thank you guys...

@Dr No - I don't have the passenger handles at this point, and am not sure I'd want to go drilling holes in them (especially if they're $350).

kiptap -so it looks as though you found some straps that have heavy duty hooks at the end (unlike the Rock straps that require you wrap the web around a frame part and loop it through itself). ..may I ask as to where you got them or what brand they are?

I made them out of military shock cord https://youtu.be/rf2OzZ_mYg4 so they are custom length so I never take them off the bag, guess I don't really need the hooks after all.

I purchased some shock cord, put the bag on the bike, ran the shock cord under the handle cutouts almost made for shock cord, figured out the length, added some hooks (but really don't need hooks), and hog ringed the shock cord in a loop and then used shrink wrap to finish off the crimp.
                  Similar to this YouTube. https://youtu.be/7DEWXkwg1i4

Now the bungees lay snug under the bag when not in use and I just pull the bungees over the grab handles and go. Very clean and very fast. I have taken several trips with a heavily loaded bag through turns stops etc. with very little shifting. The bag doubles as a backrest but actually to me that's a negative since I don't like or use backrests.

Just a note. That bag comes off as easy as it goes on so theft maybe an issue. I'm working on a tether strap that hooks on the back of the bag goes inside the open trunk box and secures when you close the trunk on the strap. I just don't like the idea of closing the strap on the seal but still looking for a tether method to keep honest people honest.
                  kiptap - Paul
                  Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
                  1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                  1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                  1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                  2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Even works Underwater!!

Name:	61LH2RkEVuL._SX466_.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	118188
                    Cute, but I just returned a roll of this stuff today because it does not in fact last long. I repaired a 1" crack in a 1" diameter irrigation hose, using a 4" length of the 8" wide tape wrapped around the cracked part. And it worked, for two days - now water sprays out for both ends of the repair. This tell ms the adhesive is not all that waterproof.

So, maybe not a good idea. Now, real Duct-tape...

Originally posted by trewm View Post

I have those as well. Work very well for strapping a tbag to the passenger seat.
                      Now this looks like a good idea (thanks to the genius squad a Honda for not thinking of something like this from the start, right?). I will see about getting a pair - can you tell me how difficult it was to drill the required holes and install them?

Cute, but I just returned a roll of this stuff today because it does not in fact last long. I repaired a 1" crack in a 1" diameter irrigation hose, using a 4" length of the 8" wide tape wrapped around the cracked part. And it worked, for two days - now water sprays out for both ends of the repair. This tell ms the adhesive is not all that waterproof.

So, maybe not a good idea. Now, real Duct-tape...
                        Clearly you failed to see it was a JOKE.

I can't believe anyone actually used this crap.

All I can say now is-- ROTFLMBO (Thank you)
                        ************************************************** *******
                        Current bikes.
                        1986 GL1200 SEi
                        2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Clearly you failed to see it was a JOKE.

I can't believe anyone actually used this crap.

All I can say now is-- ROTFLMBO (Thank you)
                          OBVIOUSLY I am not witty enough to catch your amazingly witty humor...how stupid of me!

D'Oh!

• Rocky
                            Rocky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Obviously.

Maybe you'll catch on. maybe you won't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHTWpt23us

See segment at 4:50 on how to use your handrails to secure a load. Both some adjustable bungee's and crisscrossed them. The length is dependent upon what is size the load. Measure load and then buy or make double stretch bungees with sized carabiners. No holes to drill, no Show Chrome adding, just save money and use what you have, a strong tie down.
                          But if you want to drill or buy 600 dollar Traxxion passenger handrails, go for it.

Originally posted by Securitybob View Post
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHTWpt23us

See segment at 4:50 on how to use your handrails to secure a load. Both some adjustable bungee's and crisscrossed them. The length is dependent upon what is size the load. Measure load and then buy or make double stretch bungees with sized carabiners. No holes to drill, no Show Chrome adding, just save money and use what you have, a strong tie down.
                            But if you want to drill or buy 600 dollar Traxxion passenger handrails, go for it.
                            Thank you! That was most informative - I hadn't realized the grips have some space at front and rear around which the cord could be wrapped..I will try it with my Rock Straps

Thank you! That was most informative - I hadn't realized the grips have some space at front and rear around which the cord could be wrapped..I will try it with my Rock Straps

A lot of guys bought this. https://wingstuff.com/products/38138...2018-gold-wing

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	118506
                              ************************************************** *******
                              Current bikes.
                              1986 GL1200 SEi
                              2004 GL1800

Those look good & well made! The damned things should have already been on the bike!!

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page