Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018+ Goldwing Transmission Poll

Let's see how many of you are pleased with your choice of transmission on your 2018-2019 Goldwing. After riding your Goldwing, do you wish you had picked a different transmission? Would you buy it again?
    I own a Manual Transmission and would buy it again
    14.67%
    I own a Manual Transmission and would buy a DCT the next time
    2.67%
    I own a DCT and would buy it again
    80.00%
    I own a DCT and would buy a Manual Transmission the next time
    2.67%
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

No brainer there! No one in my chapter bought a manual . . .

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Cruiseman
      Cruiseman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never seen one

Why would you want a manual transmission anymore?

I think it would be cool if there was still a clutch that you could use when the DCT is in Manual mode, just for low-speed feathering.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
        I think it would be cool if there was still a clutch that you could use when the DCT is in Manual mode, just for low-speed feathering.
        Agreed. This is the only time I miss having a manual clutch. I've had to re-learn how to perform u-turns with my DCT.

Originally posted by MaddogMike View Post

Agreed. This is the only time I miss having a manual clutch. I've had to re-learn how to perform u-turns with my DCT.
          So what's the trick. Thinking I MIGHT trade for a DCT later this year. Any info appreciated.

Originally posted by Travelingman View Post

So what's the trick. Thinking I MIGHT trade for a DCT later this year. Any info appreciated.
            Keep a little throttle applied and drag the rear brake a bit. If you have time (i.e. from a full stop in a parking lot and not in traffic), switch to either Econ or Rain mode - makes the throttle less twitchy and easier to keep power applied smoothy. Not exactly the same as feathering a clutch, but pretty damn close.
            2019 Tour DCT, Black Metallic

Interesting poll results. I have a DCT and can't stand it. The downshifting is what drives me mad the most and the fake engine breaking; I'm constantly fighting with the bike on what gear I want to be in. And there's really no such thing as a "manual" mode on this thing since it still decides when to downshift.

• Drgsin
                  Drgsin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  im confused. why are you letting it down shift if youre in manual mode? if youre in 5th and come to a stop without downshifting, its making up for your error. do you want it to bog down and die? my paddle shift cars have done the same thing. if i stop in a high gear theyll shift to first for me.

push the gear button that has the negative sign whenever you want it to downshift and stay in that gear. i do that around all round abouts and when im in the twisties. this way it wont shift down or up unexpectedly on me.

I specifically bought a 6MT. Will not pay a cent more for a Honda Auto anything, bike or car. Did not want the added complexity of the DCT. And Honda makes the best manuals in the industry.
                Ride or Die!

• Drgsin
                  Drgsin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  so if it was cheaper, you wouldve bought the DCT? you have a manual honda car? welcome by the way.

I wonder if Honda may end up dropping the MT altogether, except perhaps on the bagger.

• Drgsin commented
                      4 hours ago
                      so if it was cheaper, you wouldve bought the DCT? you have a manual honda car? welcome by the way.
                  • No I would have walked. I don't want a Honda Auto anything. They had three 2019 DCT's,,, no interest at all. Bottom line. If it's a Honda auto be it bike or car not buying it. I trust there MT's. I stopped buying their cars because they went 90% plus auto's in them and took front multilink out of the Accords. Last three new Honda cars I bought have had more warranty issues than the last five new cars I've bought. Honda has destroyed it's cars. I hope they don't completely wreck there bikes. But it looks like that's what is going to happen. Main reason I bought the Wing is my dealer is a HD, Honda, Suzuki, Polaris/Honda ATV dealer. When the Harley went south for the second time I was done with it. So they basically bought it back and made me a deal on the Wing that was fantastic. A very sweet deal all around. My back up plan was to either part out the Harley or do a fundraiser with it for St. Jude or a veterans group. Accept the loss and go buy a new FJR1300. This is the only Wing I have ever considered owning other than a 1st gen. I've ridden them all and the last two gens would lose out to a car every time.
                  Ride or Die!

• Drgsin
                    Drgsin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yea, this is the first GW i ever considered. surprised to hear about the Honda issues you had.

• GWRider
                    GWRider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Honda has destroyed its cars" eh? From the tone of your post I bet you think it was on purpose.

Geesh, what a negative Nancy! 7 posts and already bashing the new bike!

"Honda has destroyed it's cars."

Current sales figures and J D Powers seem to contradict that. Just saying . . . . .

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page