Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018+ Goldwing Transmission Poll

Let's see how many of you are pleased with your choice of transmission on your 2018-2019 Goldwing. After riding your Goldwing, do you wish you had picked a different transmission? Would you buy it again?
    I own a Manual Transmission and would buy it again
    15.85%
    I own a Manual Transmission and would buy a DCT the next time
    2.44%
    I own a DCT and would buy it again
    79.27%
    I own a DCT and would buy a Manual Transmission the next time
    2.44%
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

No brainer there! No one in my chapter bought a manual . . .

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Cruiseman
      Cruiseman commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never seen one

Why would you want a manual transmission anymore?

I think it would be cool if there was still a clutch that you could use when the DCT is in Manual mode, just for low-speed feathering.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
        I think it would be cool if there was still a clutch that you could use when the DCT is in Manual mode, just for low-speed feathering.
        Agreed. This is the only time I miss having a manual clutch. I've had to re-learn how to perform u-turns with my DCT.

Originally posted by MaddogMike View Post

Agreed. This is the only time I miss having a manual clutch. I've had to re-learn how to perform u-turns with my DCT.
          So what's the trick. Thinking I MIGHT trade for a DCT later this year. Any info appreciated.

Originally posted by Travelingman View Post

So what's the trick. Thinking I MIGHT trade for a DCT later this year. Any info appreciated.
            Keep a little throttle applied and drag the rear brake a bit. If you have time (i.e. from a full stop in a parking lot and not in traffic), switch to either Econ or Rain mode - makes the throttle less twitchy and easier to keep power applied smoothy. Not exactly the same as feathering a clutch, but pretty damn close.
            2019 Tour DCT, Black Metallic

Interesting poll results. I have a DCT and can't stand it. The downshifting is what drives me mad the most and the fake engine breaking; I'm constantly fighting with the bike on what gear I want to be in. And there's really no such thing as a "manual" mode on this thing since it still decides when to downshift.

• Drgsin
                  Drgsin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  im confused. why are you letting it down shift if youre in manual mode? if youre in 5th and come to a stop without downshifting, its making up for your error. do you want it to bog down and die? my paddle shift cars have done the same thing. if i stop in a high gear theyll shift to first for me.

push the gear button that has the negative sign whenever you want it to downshift and stay in that gear. i do that around all round abouts and when im in the twisties. this way it wont shift down or up unexpectedly on me.

I specifically bought a 6MT. Will not pay a cent more for a Honda Auto anything, bike or car. Did not want the added complexity of the DCT. And Honda makes the best manuals in the industry.
                Ride or Die!

• Drgsin
                  Drgsin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  so if it was cheaper, you wouldve bought the DCT? you have a manual honda car? welcome by the way.

I wonder if Honda may end up dropping the MT altogether, except perhaps on the bagger.

• Drgsin commented
                      4 hours ago
                      so if it was cheaper, you wouldve bought the DCT? you have a manual honda car? welcome by the way.
                  • No I would have walked. I don't want a Honda Auto anything. They had three 2019 DCT's,,, no interest at all. Bottom line. If it's a Honda auto be it bike or car not buying it. I trust there MT's. I stopped buying their cars because they went 90% plus auto's in them and took front multilink out of the Accords. Last three new Honda cars I bought have had more warranty issues than the last five new cars I've bought. Honda has destroyed it's cars. I hope they don't completely wreck there bikes. But it looks like that's what is going to happen. Main reason I bought the Wing is my dealer is a HD, Honda, Suzuki, Polaris/Honda ATV dealer. When the Harley went south for the second time I was done with it. So they basically bought it back and made me a deal on the Wing that was fantastic. A very sweet deal all around. My back up plan was to either part out the Harley or do a fundraiser with it for St. Jude or a veterans group. Accept the loss and go buy a new FJR1300. This is the only Wing I have ever considered owning other than a 1st gen. I've ridden them all and the last two gens would lose out to a car every time.
                  Ride or Die!

• Drgsin
                    Drgsin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yea, this is the first GW i ever considered. surprised to hear about the Honda issues you had.

• GWRider
                    GWRider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Honda has destroyed its cars" eh? From the tone of your post I bet you think it was on purpose.

Geesh, what a negative Nancy! 7 posts and already bashing the new bike!

"Honda has destroyed it's cars."

Current sales figures and J D Powers seem to contradict that. Just saying . . . . .

A buddy of mine bought a 2014 Nissan Sentra automatic brand new, he put 70,000 miles on it and the transmission went up. The power train warranty ended when he hit 60,000 miles. A new transmission cost almost 5 grand. His transmission cannot be rebuilt it's a CVT. Turns out Nissan had trouble with this transmission back in 2008 and was sued in a class-action suit. The result was they extended the power train warranty to 120,000 miles for Sentras up to 2012 models. So his transmission wasn't covered. Someone in New Jersey sued them again, so if he lived in New Jersey his transmission would be covered.

If he would have bought a manual he would still be driving that Nissan. With a manual, if it would ever go up it could be repaired reasonably. Not the case with automatics these days. 4 to 5 grand to get the vehicle back on the road.

I'll stick with my manual, thank you.

DCT all the way. Ride Safe Ride A-lot

2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Honesty. If motorcyclists were really honest to themselves they would admit they like to torture themselves, case in point almost all of us admire Iron Butt riders.

When I started riding in the early sixties I did for economic reasons. I couldn't afford car insurance. I rode year-round in the state of Maryland. In the freezing rain, snow, heat you name it on a bike that you had to kickstart, that vibrated almost as bad as a washing machine. That had a crummy seat if you could call it a seat. I did not have a windshield, one it slowed the bike down, two, windshields were for sissies. I constantly had to tend to the chain, adjust the points, clean the spark plugs, fix the flats it got. All this had to be endured with the bare minimum of gear. There were no special motorcycle clothing back then. The only special gear was a leather jacket. In the winter you had to stuff newspaper in it to block the wind. Stuff newspaper down the legs of your jeans to keep your knees from freezing. It was pretty tough back then.

I swore to myself when I got a car I'd never ride another motorcycle. I lied to myself. I've tortured myself for well over 50 years now and I'm certainly not going to change now. Back then no real motorcyclist would ever be caught riding an "automatic" Vespa or Lambretta scooter.

If I want to ride in comfort and have the vehicle practically drive itself I'll take the wife's car. Heck, next thing you know we'll be riding electric motorcycles that are so quiet and maintenance-free you'll wonder what the point of riding is.

Really what's the point of riding if you're not in discomfort? You just may as well have a chauffeur drive you around in your Mercedes.

I'll bet no Iron Butt rider rides an automatic. Heck, I remember having to walk 9 feet in a shag carpet just to change the television channel.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page