Which headset for listening to bikes fm, gps and xm ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which headset for listening to bikes fm, gps and xm ?

What are people using to listen to the bikes audio output options without going through phone? I don't have an iPhone and probably never will, so CarPlay is out. I currently can only get phone thru my old scala q2, but I'd like gps and radio. I'm not a big audiophile so high tech sound isn't important, just your basic mono thru both headset speakers is fine. Also the cheaper the better as long as its wireless. A cable is constantly forgotten

thanx Dean!

I'm using a Cardo Freecom1 and love it. Advertised as waterproof, which is why I bought it. I don't have a passenger and have not traveled with groups, so did not need the ability to communicate with others. This may be a consideration for you.
    2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Show Chrome Seat Bungee Tie Down Brackets, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin, Traxxion Dynamics Kick Stand Pad, Slip Streamer Clear Wraparound Touring Windshield, Utopia Driver Backrest. Show Chrome Marker Lights.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I just picked up a Sena 10s on Saturday so far so good like it a lot easy to use can communicate with up to four other riders when i need too. Works well with my apple car play great for making and receiving phone calls good investment totally bluetooth no wires required.
      2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

I've been using the Sena 10 for a few years now. I find it more than adequate.

Sena SMH-10 for everything.
          '03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
          A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

Originally posted by Doug Bohman View Post
            I'm using a Cardo Freecom1 and love it. Advertised as waterproof, which is why I bought it. I don't have a passenger and have not traveled with groups, so did not need the ability to communicate with others. This may be a consideration for you.
            So the FM radio and gps from the bike are heard on the headset?

Originally posted by deanrd View Post

That would be correct. I have a Bilt helmet with a built in Sena that works just fine. It accomplishes everything that the bike is capable of doing.

Most of the time however, I use one of several different brands of bluetooth headsets [ the cheap ones, iFrogs, Phaser and an LG though it is sometimes difficult to connect] as the earbuds almost completely eliminate residual ambient noise while the music, even at a low level, is crystal clear.

I keep my music on a USB jump drive that is always plugged into the bike so I don't usually connect my phone to the bike.

I have an Android phone and I can play the music that is resident on it [ or Pandora ] while it is connected (bluetoothed) to the bike and that also works just fine. That is to say the music is transmitted to my headset via the bike.

Lots of options for you here. Try the cheapest one first like I did. You might just find that it will meet your needs.

Bill

Yes, with my iPhone I get CarPlay and everything that available through CarPlay comes through the Bluetooth Freecom1.
                2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Show Chrome Seat Bungee Tie Down Brackets, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin, Traxxion Dynamics Kick Stand Pad, Slip Streamer Clear Wraparound Touring Windshield, Utopia Driver Backrest. Show Chrome Marker Lights.

Yes, with my iPhone I get CarPlay and everything that available through CarPlay comes through the Bluetooth Freecom1.
                  As I mentioned, I don't have an iPhone or want to use CarPlay and stream from phone. I have an android phone and just want to listen to the gps and fm radio that is on the bike.

Thanx Dean.

• Doug Bohman
                    Doug Bohman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The answer is still yes. You get them through the headset, as long as you're able to pair your headset to the bike.

I'd be interested in if anyone has the new 04-J&M set? I've had their "Wired" system on my 05' and the fidelity of the Sena S-10 is TERRIBLE for music (too thin, too tinny, overdriven, etc..) the Sena is simply a COMS set up, not a credible option for music if you want any quality. Waiting until WING DING to try out everything and get new helmets at the same time. Any input on this specific J&M would be appreciated.

SIDENOTE: I did call and ask them if they planned on any speaker and amp upgrades for the 18+ and they said: "Not at this time". I'm torn on spending $1500+ for the Honda amp and speakers and labor. The stock system is "decent" and if I get decent headsets I'd prefer that. My 12' Roadglide J&M Amp and Speakers will melt your brain and no one who's heard that system wasn't impressed. But I don't need to fight with HARLEY NOISES to hear on the Gold Wing.

• Doug Bohman
                    Doug Bohman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't know why everyone seems so enthralled by the Sena. My Cardo is amazingly clear for all audio coming through the bike, music, gps, audiobooks, phone, messages, etc., etc. And it's cheaper and advertised as waterproof.

I have had the Sena sm10-r and the sounds from their speakers for stereo, gps, and phone are pretty damn good even thru the ear buds that I wear to keep out wind noise and as a wired back up for gps if the Wing's quits routing correctly. The music from the Garmin zumo 550 is fine and plays under aux if I want

I also use cardo freecoms. work perfectly for what you want. excellent sound and work well with the gps and phone and carplay, if you choose to go that way in the future, connects every time. my issues stem with multiple riders and passenger connections, so im looking into the bold. id sell you both of mine for 200, if youre interested.

I bought a Freecom 4+. I'll post my results after testing! Thanx all!

Sena 30K and Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Earbuds on the helmet.

I use the Cardo SmartH, meant for HJC Helmets. Once I reread the owners manual I realized the button on the console switches between my headset or bike speakers. Works fantastic listening to the bikes radio and GPS voice is heard over the radio as it has priority. Just tweak the volumes for both to hear properly.

• Doug Bohman
                            Doug Bohman commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Same with the Freecom1.

BT ear buds.
                          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Do you pair the headset and your iphone to the bike? If so, how does Carplay work if you have to connect your iphone to the USB cable?

I bought a Freecom 4+. I'll post my results after testing! Thanx all!
                              Well I got the Freecom installed. Locating speakers and microphone wasn't too bad. Pairing was a real pain until I cleared everything, then paired phone to headset, then phone to bike, then headset on freq 2 to bike. All appears as it should be. Also didn't help that my speaker connection wasn't seated all the way. Sometimes I'm the biggest problem

• Drgsin
                                Drgsin commented
                                Editing a comment
                                which phone? android? how is that working? everyone said you shouldnt pair phone to headset.

• deanrd
                                deanrd commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hi Drgsin,

Android Galaxy S8. Working very well (now) . When I tried just pairing phone to bike and headset to bike. I got FM radio, but lost contact when making call even trying to toggle spkr/headset. My Cardo Q2 headset would work paired to phone, but not to bike for stereo/nav. New Freecom 4+ headset works with all features. I need another ride soon to test them on the road for noise now that the plug isn't lose
                                Dean

hahahaha. me too!

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page